Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Midwest model, what are the possibilities?
Old 09-24-2005, 04:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45376
Comments: 0

SaraM is offline IP: 67.134.114.131

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I appreciate the candid nature of the folks here at GG, so I have a question (or two) to ask: I am a teen model in Iowa. I do not intend to make modeling a full-time job, right now school is my full-time job. What are the chances of modeling jobs in Iowa? What is the best way to get noticed for those jobs? There are some great photographers here in Iowa who have been of great help to me in getting my portfolio started, but what now? Thanks for any input!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SaraM Visit SaraM's homepage! Find More Posts by SaraM

Re: Midwest model, what are the possibilities?
Old 09-24-2005, 05:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35419

Andy_S is offline IP: 12.217.14.141

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sarah - unfortunately, there just are not a lot of jobs available in Iowa. In order to find anything meaningful, you have to live where the work is. Des Moines has some limited opportunities as well as the Quad Cities.

Check out the advise that Chelsie got when asking how to find work... GG Post

You have a very nice look that will go entirely (well not entirely) un-noticed living in the middle of no where.

I need you to drop me an email - I have some photos here for you and your sister!

Andy
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_S Visit Andy_S's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_S

Old 09-24-2005, 06:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 65.43.38.5

Staying in Iowa means promotional or internet type modeling. There's work there, but you have to dig it out. Lots of models here and other forums do it, they can tell you a lot more than I can.

You might try contacting Karen, the moderator, at Midwest Forum

You are a very attactive young lady. I wish you success.

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 09-24-2005, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38285
Send a message via AIM to Gunslinger101

Gunslinger101 is offline IP: 66.245.23.153

You are quite beautiful, and your eye color is gorgeous. Talk to Rolando about modeling at one of his seminars. They are all over the states. It could gain some exposure and you would get to know photographers. You may then be able to combine some interesting travel and get modelling jobs. If you go south, if we have a south this year, for spring break or vacation, schedule some shoots with the folks in Florida. We are blessed to have some outrageously talented photographers here. I guess what I am saying is that you have a great look, combine your part-time modelling with other fun stuff. College needs to come first.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunslinger101 Find More Posts by Gunslinger101

Old 09-24-2005, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.174.71.224

I note that there are 10 photographers listed with GG that are less than 100 miles from you (based on the zipcode in your portfolio). You might try private messaging some of them and see if they need a model.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

another one?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.138

What heck is in the water in Iowa with all these young fashion model types all of a sudden? OK, as someone said, you should read the thread giving pretty much the same answers to Chelsie. I know you both said you didn't want to leave the area, but the reality is that if you want to model, there isn't much - if any - work that matches your look (and that's what modeling is all about - all jobs are based on finding the model with the appropriate look) in Iowa, at least none with national opportunities.

A short digression if I may: I know you said modeling isn't your first goal, and it doesn't have to be, but people can change their goals, or at least change the timing with which they acheive them. I think I've mentioned here a few times one of my best friends who, as a model, has had an interesting career. She's also a mid-west girl (from SD &amp; MO) who did finish college first, but only because she's a "brain" AND if she was interested in modeling, wasn't confronted with the age issue because she was never built like a fashion model. She's petite, and very curvy (like most of my model friends <g>). While she was finishing school, she tried out for and became a spokesmodel for a major tool company, with a year's contract to travel and do promotions. She then did all sorts of commercial modeling here in LA, and also became a cheerleader for the LA Raiders for 4 years, modeling and acting on the side. When all that wound down, she took a major career turn and went to law school, and she's been a practicing attorney with a major law firm for three years now. See, there is life after modeling!

Now I know you said you wanted to go to college, and that's admirable, but consider these options (only if you are serious about the model that is): First, you may not know this, but most large cities, especially those with big fashion markets, have colleges too <g>. It is possible to take a couple classes while you're working at modeling, if you're really committed. I know several girls who did it, although they were not fashion models. Of course it will take longer to get a degree, but so what, you're young! Second option, put off college for a while and dive into the modeling full-time, and make a promise to yourself that you'll come back. Then do it. Even if you try modeling for a year, and it doesn't work out, school is always an option, so what if you do it a year or two later? Before everyone jumps on me about this, remember, I'm only suggesting it if you really to give this a shot in the "big game" as I heard it referred to once. I know everyone thinks you should do college first, but especially in fashion, you have to start young. The bikini babes I shoot can wait until their early 20s, not so with fashion. Also, remember a lot of people put off college right after high school for other temporary jobs, some even to save money for college. The ones I'm thinking of are called soldiers or sailors. Anyway, that's my take on it. Maybe you and Chelsie should hook up and go to a big city together.

You have a very fresh farmgirl (duh!) look, that would sell well in catalogs, liefstyle magazines, ads, etc. The shot with the cowboy hat on your homepage looks like it just came out of a Ralph Lauren ad (nice shot BTW). So what do you want to do? Don't expect any magic solutions about getting booked for that kind of stuff while you live in IA, you will have to move to where the work is. As I've said elsewhere, fashion models don't get hired from the web at large.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

What Andy said.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

He's bang on - you're young, you're gorgeous, you might as well give it a shot.

I'll add that while the odds are against you becoming the next Cindy Crawford, etc, they're against everybody, so you can't let that stop you if this is something you want to try. At worst you try it for a year, you have some fun stories, you go back to school.

The example of Elyse Sewell is interesting: she was a contestant on America's Next Top Model who got to third place. She swore she'd then quit modeling and go to medical school (apparently she'd already been accepted) but she changed her mind and is now having gazooks of fun being a professional model in Hong Kong. You can read her LiveJournal here:

Elyse Sewell

So who knows?

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc