Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A \"book\" question - Has this ever happened to you?
Old 09-23-2005, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737
Comments: 0

David Bunch is offline IP: 209.102.150.225

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Many who know me have often asked "Why don't you shoot more? There's tons of beautiful women down south!". The following is another recent exchange upon showing my book to a Prospective Subject:

PS: Where did you get these?

Me: They're mine...

PS: I know they're your prints, but who took the photos?

Me: I did. I'm a photographer, been doing it for quite a while...

PS: Sure, uh huh. Really? Well, whoever took them, they're very nice pictures.

I've encountered this same disbelief more times than I can count. This includes friends as well, not just subjects. It's genuinely got to the point that I rarely show my book to anyone. More than a few have just come right out and said "But can you prove they're yours? I mean, anyone can put some 8x10s in an album thingy".

Is this a "southern thang", or have others across this vast land had this happen to them?

At first I got insulted, then angry, but now...they do have a point. Given how easy it is to put anyone's work up on a site or port and claim ownership, it has to be incredibly easy to download images from any site and print them up. Granted, the novice has no idea how large the images would have to be for an 8x10 or larger, but they do know the possibility exists.

The "dancers" thread inspired this query.....thanks Rick for the idea.

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch

i thought it was jes \"ME\"
Old 09-23-2005, 03:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 80.58.13.235

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

well, i am in the SOUTH of Spain and as you described it, THAT doesnt happen to me... they know me and my work so they know what i do and how i see when i shoot. i am the ONLY one in my immediate who shoots like i do (hopefully good!). they all love my work BUT never call me to do fotos for THEM... this also applies to the USA girls who see my work.

then i get these emails and fone calls from models coming thru spain, and even talk to a few of them while they are here, they always promising to do some fotos.... sigh, they all disappear and without a trace, almost as quickly as they appeared!!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Just say. . .
Old 09-23-2005, 07:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

sure I can prove it. When are you free to model. Or, call my secretary for an appointment. etc. etc.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

one dumb suggestion
Old 09-23-2005, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 66.109.230.128

hey there...try this...the next 4-5 shoots you do, have someone snap a few candid "behind the scenes" images of you shooting the images and then if someone questions whether you took it, all you do is go to a little stack in the back of your book and you have pics taken by someone peering over your shoulder from behind, showing the entire set, the model, and most importantly..YOU!

Don't you have some behind the scenes stuff from the water set you did in Phoenix last year?

crew:

final image:

View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

nothing dumb about that!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737

David Bunch is offline IP: 209.102.150.225

Glenn my boy, I do believe you've got it. As many BTS pics as I've shot, I never considered the opposite. I'm never IN the pics, you know? Thanks for that light bulb!

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch

Re: A \"book\" question - Has this ever happened to you?
Old 09-23-2005, 09:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35263

photolex is offline IP: 67.78.65.130

about ten years ago I shot my niece in the wildflowers as a present for her parents. My brother's comment, "Wow, these look professional."

View Public Profile Send a private message to photolex Visit photolex's homepage! Find More Posts by photolex

Old 09-23-2005, 10:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38112

telcoman is offline IP: 216.43.0.134

[ QUOTE ]
PS: Sure, uh huh. Really? Well, whoever took them, they're very nice pictures.

[/ QUOTE ]

He says in his best jar jar impersonation "How wude!"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to telcoman Visit telcoman's homepage! Find More Posts by telcoman

how bizarre!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.138

I think this is bizarre, but for the potential model's safety, I'm glad they're taking precautions, if that's what they're doing. I know of situations where guys HAVE actually used photos they didn't take to impress models (for whatever reason), but I've never heard of the potential model being suspicious if she didn't actually have first-hand knowledge that the pictures didn't belong to the photographer. I only know this becaue I've had models come into my old studio office, with the walls covered with 50+ posters I'd done, and see one and say, "YOU took that? I thought someone else took it, he has it on his wall too, but I can't remember his name." That used to make me laugh but I was never able to confront the guys because the models couldn't actually remember where they'd seen it. It still happens occaisionally online, but I don't think its a prolific problem.

But in your case, that is just odd. How many times has this happend, and why? Maybe they just can't believe good photography is capable of being done in AL? You just have to find a way to convince them. Work on your personality, dress like a photographer all the time (don't ask me, I haven't got a clue), hang out with cute model-type girls?. I did have one thought about the suggestion from Glenn...

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

of course there\'s only one problem with this idea
Old 09-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.138

If she thinks you stole the pictures in the first place, she'll probably think that you (or someone - certainly not YOU ) used PS to put your face on someone else's body in the middle of the group with the girls. I mean seriously, could YOU get all those girls to pose with you?

I got Zdenka to pose with me (if that's really me!)

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Old 09-23-2005, 08:48 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43848

InfraRedAgency is offline IP: 64.126.110.66

All I know is, I get questioned everytime I show off my locomotive photo site. People cannot accept the fact that I can make a 415,000 lb. locomotive look sexy!LOL! Its like they can't believe that little ol' me can do it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to InfraRedAgency Visit InfraRedAgency's homepage! Find More Posts by InfraRedAgency