Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
agencies, how to get noticed
Old 09-22-2005, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44116
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to ChelsieAnn

ChelsieAnn is offline IP: 69.63.11.17

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have heard a few different times that the way to get noticed by an agency is to take shots of yourself plain in a bathing suit full body, headshot, profile. Anybody know of good agencies in the Chicago area to submit to? Also do you really take them yourself or do you have a photographer help you w/good lighting? Suggestions, comments, experiences with such are welcome.

thanks

Chelsie Hamann

View Public Profile Send a private message to ChelsieAnn Find More Posts by ChelsieAnn

Re: agencies, how to get noticed
Old 09-22-2005, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Chelsie,

I can NOT imagine you would have trouble getting noticed by an agency.

I've had the opportunity to work with a fair number of young women who wanted to try modeling but didn't want to lay out a grand or better for a comp card so they came to the studio for what was basically an extended portrait session with a makeup artist on the shoot. I've kept up with several of them and their experiences with some of the agencies here in Nashville.

Mostly what I've heard hasn't been good. I'm sure Chicago is different but here there's just not that much work, print, runway or otherwise, so most of the 'models' in town pay for big league shoots and glossy comp cards and then get little if any real paying work.

I shot a stunning girl last year who took the shots to a pretty big name agency here in town. They told her she had to lose ten pounds and that when she did she should shoot with one of 'their' photographers to get the pictures they would need to market her.

She sent the exact same set of shots to a TV production company right after that, got called in and got three TV commercials from them.

They didn't ask her to lose any weight and they loved the pictures. I know because I sent copies to them that they used to try and land her a national commercial. I guess what I'm saying is, be careful when they start sending you to 'their' people.

A final point...I know some of the shooters the agency wanted to send the girl to and they are fabulous, real pros, so it wasn't a hustle, it was just the way this particular set of folks did business.

Best of luck,

Shannon
my site
  View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 09-23-2005, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40689
Send a message via Yahoo to Clacey

Clacey is offline IP: 67.166.236.110

"I can NOT imagine you would have trouble getting noticed by an agency."

Ditto!
You have a very unique look and the most outstanding eyes I have ever seen. Beautiful!

Good luck.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Clacey Visit Clacey's homepage! Find More Posts by Clacey

I Already Told You....
Old 09-23-2005, 12:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 69.84.98.69

When you're done with the cheap and easy approach, and want an agency that matters... call in the pros. You've tried every other method... why not do something you haven't done?

- Hillary signed with Elite last week.

I told you this before. If you want the cheap, free, and easy method... you're gonna get a lot more of what you've got.

Good luck... we're down here when you're ready.

christian
  View Public Profile Send a private message to christian Visit christian's homepage! Find More Posts by christian

time to move on
Old 09-23-2005, 03:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.138

I think you have a great look. If you're really serious about this, get the heck out of Iowa, ASAP. I'm not a fashion expert, but I think I can pretty well guarantee you there is NO fashion work there. You have some fabulous face shots, and I can tell that when someone who knows what they're doing has styled your makeup, hair and wardrobe, you know how to work them. The head shot you have on this post is terrific (looks like a cosmetics ad), and should at least get you an interview with just about any agency. You have some other great shots too, and if you can get a few more fashion-looking body shots, and some with a more natural looking makeup, you'll be fine to submit with - you do not have to send in self-taken snapshots, but they do want shots that look like the real you.

Now some reality: At 20 years old, and 5'8" (if that IS your true height) you are sort of on the fringe of what the NY agencies would look for - just about too old to start, almost too short. (What can I say - and I think the true fashion guys here would back me up - NY likes 'em a little younger and a little taller). You really should look at Chicago if its not too far, and you don't want to leave the area, but places like Miami or LA are where the other big fashion markets are, with LA having the advantage of also having commercials and year-round fashion work. You have a variety of looks, some of them almost ethnic looking, which gives you lots of range. I can't speak for Miami, but 5'8" in LA is a normal catalog fashion model, maybe even some runway. You could send photos and see who bites, or consider spending a week here and going on some open-calls to get a feel for how you'd be received. Again, I'm a bit out of the fashion loop, but other cities with a modest fashion business traditionally have included San Francisco, Dallas, Seattle, Minneapolis, and Chicago. There are probably some photographers on GG that know of the better Chicago fashion agencies, but I guarantee you there are some good ones.

Wherever you end up, plan on spending some time and money getting your book together with local shooters. It doesn't have to be a lot, but you always need more photos, and better photos, and you can't always get what you need with TFCD. Whatever agency shows serious interest - or actually signs you - may give you a "test" list of local photographers they'd like you to shoot with, one way or another. This isn't necessarily a scam, or a bad thing. Its based on a relationship where they know the photographer's work, and more than that, he KNOWS what they like and need to sell you. Here in LA, we've always had a few photographers at any given time who were "hot" and all the agents sent their models to them, and they got shots that worked. There was nothing underhanded about it, but you do have to keep your guard up. Another reason to go meet the photographers on the agency's test list is that some of these guys may hire you someday, or help you develop looks you didn't know you had, or simply expose you to the networking of the business. Anyway, you need to have images from a variety of photographers, and that's one way to get them. You have to think of yourself as a business, and investing in developing your business is part of making that business grow.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio

View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

that\'s not unusual
Old 09-23-2005, 04:03 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.138

[ QUOTE ]

I shot a stunning girl last year who took the shots to a pretty big name agency here in town. They told her she had to lose ten pounds and that when she did she should shoot with one of 'their' photographers to get the pictures they would need to market her.

She sent the exact same set of shots to a TV production company right after that, got called in and got three TV commercials from them.

They didn't ask her to lose any weight and they loved the pictures. I know because I sent copies to them that they used to try and land her a national commercial. I guess what I'm saying is, be careful when they start sending you to 'their' people.

A final point...I know some of the shooters the agency wanted to send the girl to and they are fabulous, real pros, so it wasn't a hustle, it was just the way this particular set of folks did business.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to comment on the two experiences your friend had, of course without the benefit of seeing what she looks like. Were those two agencies the same type of agency? It sounded like the first one might be a print agency, while the second is a talent or commercial agency. A fashion or print agent is always going to want their models to be thinner, and they always need new pictures. That's just a fact of life. A talent (acting) or commercial agency is more flexible, willing to work with what they're given. You friend could have booked the commercials because she looked right for the part, no matter what her weight was, while the first agency, really needed her thinner to send her out for the fashion work they get calls for.

If I'm wrong about the first agency being a fashion agecny, it could be simply that they saw her a certain way and she needed to change to become that. There are no absolutes in this business, everything is subjective, and if one door doesn't work out, you just keep going until you find one that does. Also, the fact that the second agent booked her on three commercials could just mean THEY got a the call to send their talent to the casting, while the first agency didn't. Or they both did, but the calls came in after she had left one agent for the other. The whole business is nuts that way.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman

Re: that\'s not unusual
Old 09-23-2005, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Andy,

First I would happily and respectfully defer to your expertise in the agency world.

Second, the situation with the agencies --clarifying for Chelsie here- was this:

The first agency handles fashion (there's not much here) and music videos and a lot of lifestyle print work. Courtney (pictures below) is five ten and I think the agency in question just asumed she wanted to do fashion, in truth she was looking for whatever sort of work they might think she could do. She'd already done the hot chick in a music video thing, there's a lot of that here, and there is almost no money in it.

The production company that got her the commercials was the actual company that did the work. Courtney heard about it, took her pictures over there herself, dropped them off, got a call back and got the gig.

What I was hoping to share with Chelsie was exactly what you talked about, the nonsensical nature of the whole thing, it took place literally over a couple of days, one minute she wasn't good enough to get representation the next she was on freaking TV... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here's Courtney by the way:

View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 09-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40627

Vidar is offline IP: 24.196.140.180

Chelsie
I just emailed you a list of Chicago Agencies that I've worked with and contact names and phone numbers. (Ford, elite, Shirley Hamilton, Arlene Wilson, Stewart Talent).

Hope this can help.
Good Luck
ev
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Vidar Visit Vidar's homepage! Find More Posts by Vidar

Your a funny girl
Old 09-23-2005, 10:22 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35278

CoreyMarcello is offline IP: 216.43.102.43

I agree with Christian, to get past the front screen and into talk with the person who has the influence, sometimes it is more an issue of good networking. Chelsie, I am shocked that you are coming here to get ideas of how to get the interview's. Girl, I had you lined up to interview with 3 top agencies in Chicago and was working on a couple others when you decided to signed a manager. Seems to me you should be having your manager get you in for the interviews and not coming to a forum to get the job done. Your post here has me totally scratching my head in bewilderment. You are a funny funny girl. Best of luck.

View Public Profile Send a private message to CoreyMarcello Visit CoreyMarcello's homepage! Find More Posts by CoreyMarcello

I couldn\'t agree more
Old 09-23-2005, 10:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35278

CoreyMarcello is offline IP: 216.43.102.43

I am glad you told her these thing. I told her the same things you did, but it seemed to had fallen on deaf ears. Perhaps she will respect your opinion more than mine. Thanks for sharing.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CoreyMarcello Visit CoreyMarcello's homepage! Find More Posts by CoreyMarcello