Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
THE Q (bbq) POSTPONED due to Katrina & Rita...
Old 09-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.69.82.31

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

As you know, Hurricane Rita, which is now a Category 4 and is expected to strengthen, is going to hit Texas somewhere between Corpus Christi and Houston—San Antonio sits in the middle of it’s path, though more inland, more susceptible to the outer bands with potential wind, flood and tornado damage. At the time of this posting the weather channel has Rita hitting Victoria dead on, Victoria is less than 100 miles straight-line from San Antonio, 112 by road. Because of this, the much anticpated Q this Oct. 1st has been postponed, not canceled, but postponed.

This will happen late Friday night or sometime on Saturday, of course the hurricane and it's feeder bands will turn into a tropical storm and linger in the Central Texas area for a few days, not to mention recovery efforts.

I had to reschedule my "Nude, Shooting for Submission" workshop for this Saturday and one of my attendees stated, "My girlfriend...works for ...Travelocity, and she called me Monday and told me to book my lodging immediately, as everything was showing "sold out" in San Antonio ...Last night she told me they are now booking up into Oklahoma and Arkansas, because Austin, Dallas, etc. are all sold out...."

Add to that fact, evacuee’s from the more coastal areas of Pt. Lavaca, Pt. Authur, Houston, Victoria, Goliad, Refugio, Corpus Christi, Aransas Pass, Port Aransas, Rockport, Seadrift, Galveston, Beaumont, Texas City, etc., will be here and many will be occupying hotel and motel rooms—depending which area gets hit the hardest, many may stay in those rooms for a week to weeks like the folks already here from Louisiana. The city is already sending out Katrina evacuees to Arkansas to make room for Texas evacuees.

The newspaper reported today that many towns are already without plywood to board up windows, generators are sold-out and that many of the hotel/motel rooms in San Antonio are already booked.

I lived most of my life on the coast in Victoria, Texas, where my parents are now, and I’ve ridden many hurricanes out—while it sounds fun, it’s like gambling your life away at Vegas. Some of us are just hard headed and we do it to protect our property saying it won’t hurt us because it never has—yet someone will suffer the brunt of the storm.

Unfortunately my father had major surgery Monday and he’s at the hospital recovering while my mother is at home and can’t drive. I’ve been making trips back and forth, about a two-hour drive each way, each day, but I probably will not be able to get in the city of Victoria after Friday morning as then you get caught up in the squalls and feeder bands of the hurricane and you’re better off riding the storm out where ever you can safely. I also have to still board up their house, leaving shortly with my assistant Rick, and if you drew a straight line out to the Gulf of Mexico from Victoria, it’s only 18 miles.

I hope those of you that may lose a dollar or two with your reservations can understand and I’ll make it up to you somehow, perhaps with a free ticket to a future weekend workshop or at least a discount. Let me know how this affects you. I’m having fun still recovering from helping my in-laws in Mississippi and my brother and his family from New Orleans over the Katrina aftermat.

Thanks for your understanding how sometimes mother nature can effect things. We’ll be back to normal soon and our outlook for the Q right now is sometime in the Spring, probably April. All those that paid for the seminar will be transferred to that date and we will do our best to make it even better.

Thanks to all for your support and understanding, time to go buy some plywood and take it to Victoria. thanks, Rolando
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: THE Q (bbq) Status due to Katrina & Rita...
Old 09-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576
Comments: 0

rixafter6 is offline IP: 69.247.193.169

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Rolando:

I'll end up losing a few bucks on the airline tickets but that will be nothing compared to what you Texans are about to lose.

I wish you and your family good luck as well as all the other Texans in Rita's path.

Stay safe.

Rick D.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Old 09-21-2005, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
JAM
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35499

JAM is offline IP: 70.124.78.6

I am glad the event is being postponed as I really wanted to see everyone and go to the pre event. It is not good to fool with mother nature. Rolando you and all the people in the path of this one are in our prayers...God speed and we'll all meet in April.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JAM Visit JAM's homepage! Find More Posts by JAM

Old 09-21-2005, 08:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Old, Bald, Village Idiot

Member GG#: 36160
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to AGellert

AGellert is offline IP: 71.35.35.87

Rolando,

All my best wishes for you and your family... All will be well.. I pray.

I will see you in the Spring...

Andrew
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AGellert Visit AGellert's homepage! Find More Posts by AGellert

No Damn It... I WANT FOOD....
Old 09-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 69.84.98.69

Just kidding. My road to the Q. goes underwater in a few places... and while my van sometimes becomes a mini-sub... it wasn't the intended use.

Now it's two bee-yotches ruining my life.

Quick note: Move everything upstairs.

christian
  View Public Profile Send a private message to christian Visit christian's homepage! Find More Posts by christian

Old 09-22-2005, 01:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40360
Comments: 1
My Mood:

Zairia is offline IP: 70.225.92.213

Rolando,

I hope you, your family, and fellow Texans stay safe and well. God Bless to you and your family.

Zairia
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zairia Visit Zairia's homepage! Find More Posts by Zairia