Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
need info on TFP and managing models
Old 09-21-2005, 07:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37536
Comments: 0

John1 is offline IP: 24.176.66.143

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What do you usually offer or include in a time for print or CD session? image size & resolution? retouched?

Also, what all is involved with managing a model?

Thanks.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to John1 Find More Posts by John1

Re: need info on TFP and managing models
Old 09-21-2005, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 216.65.162.201

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

As far as TFCD... IT varies so much. You just have to decide what you want to give them and make sure they are in agreement and then make sure you follow through.

It is my opinion that a photographer has no business managing models. If you are a good and busy photographer then you cant really devote the time needed to properly represent models. If you are a photographer then stick with that and leave the model management to the professionals.

Scott
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 09-21-2005, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 66.94.199.48

I usually give my models 2 CDs. One is Print sized images at about 15x20 and the other is web sized at about 4x5. I also whenever possible try to let the model see the images before I start editing them. I like to give her a chance to see which ones she wants, sometimes the images she REALLY REALLY likes is different than one that I might like, and I try to make sure that she gets what she wants. Generally I like to give the model 30-40 images per shoot. More if she asks, or if it was a particularly long shoot, or if there were a lot of wardrobe changes.

I also try to email a few images to the model as soon as possible, to give her a sample of what will be on the disc.

Hope this helps.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Titan Visit Titan's homepage! Find More Posts by Titan

Photographer/Managers
Old 09-21-2005, 10:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

[ QUOTE ]
It is my opinion that a photographer has no business managing models. If you are a good and busy photographer then you cant really devote the time needed to properly represent models. If you are a photographer then stick with that and leave the model management to the professionals.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

the so-called professionals often won't give a new or untried model the time of day. if a photographer sees "something" in a model, and that photographer has the contacts to help that model initially "break in" and, of course, the photographer is willing to help the model develop a book/port as well as the some time to devote to that model, why not? there's a lot of pitfalls for a new model and the experience of some photographers might help her avoid them. (example: GWC's with questionable agendas.)

if the model takes off, she'll outgrow the manager/photographer because she'll need management that is more focused on being managers. so, for established and/or experienced models i'd agree. but, in the beginning, the photographer/manager may be the only viable option a model has to get started, to get her foot in a few doors, and to get herself on the road to a career.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-21-2005, 11:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 67.126.240.148

I pick the best images and give the model images sized 8 x 12, 4 x 6 and web. Once I choose the images, PS does all the resizing and sharpening for me.

E
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

Re: Photographer/Managers
Old 09-21-2005, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

All very good point Jimmy... And in theory I agree with what you have said. However, here in michigan I have had experience with several of these photographer/managers and they have all been bad. One guy in particular has a ton of models and he screens their job offers and the model never knows that they could have worked but he didnt want them to. What I have seen here is that the photographers get possessive of the model and wants to control who they work with. In the case of this one guy I think he doesnt want anyone better to shoot the models. He also wants to be present at all shoots and there have been some bad issues with other photographers that I know. It is to a point now that if I see that a model is affiliated with him I wont work with her because it is too big of a hassle. If a photographer can help a model get started that is fine....It is when they want a piece of the action and a contract signed that I get concerned.

Scott
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 09-21-2005, 11:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

yeah, i understand all that. there's always gonna be this kind of stuff, especially when the the person your managing is a beautiful, sexy woman and the manager himself is also the guy who's ego says he's the best at capturing this woman's beity as sex appeal. btw, 'a hassle to work with' also happens often enough amongst people who work, exclusively, as managers.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-21-2005, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

[ QUOTE ]
btw, 'a hassle to work with' also happens often enough amongst people who work, exclusively, as managers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have experienced that as well, but this guy is too much trouble to bother with anymore. Hassle probably isnt the right word...what is worse then a major shoot ruining pain in the butt? What ever it is he is about 2 steps beyond that....

Old 09-21-2005, 12:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member GG#: 38751

AliciaRachel is offline IP: 68.95.50.68

Most photogs that I work TFP with will send me a CD of images that are basically PS (color balance and such) of a few of the selected images they choose to be a display of their work.

As far as managing models, well I am not sure what North Carolina's laws are regarding it, but here in Texas and several states, you must be licensed and bonded. And it is a good thing to allready have contacts and working relationships with casting directors and clients.

Alicia
  View Public Profile Send a private message to AliciaRachel Visit AliciaRachel's homepage! Find More Posts by AliciaRachel

Old 09-21-2005, 12:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

those kind of jerks are all over. sometimes its a boyfriend, husband, or someone who wants to be one of those. sometimes its simply a guy on a power and control trip. nothing that can be done about them since, at its root, the problem is the model who's made the poor choice to appoint them as their manager for whatever reasons.