Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Man! What\'s with all the cat\'s claws out lately
Old 09-21-2005, 01:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

is it me? or does it seem lately that there's EVEN MORE thin-skin stuff going on here? I mean, jeez guys... some of you are acting like 6th grade girlies with your ego-driven little cat-claw digs when you get all butt-hurt over nothing but someone's opinion about your oh-so-precious work. none of you post earth-shattering art every time you post. some of its great and some of its okay and somtimes some of it sucks.

(my apologizes to females of the 6th grade for the less-than- analogy.)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Well, since I\'m only here. . .
Old 09-21-2005, 02:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436
Comments: 0

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

for the purdy pitchers I musta missed that other stuff not that I care. My mom and Thumper' came form the same place: If ya can't say somethin' nice. . .

View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Re: Man! What\'s with all the cat\'s claws out lately *DELETED*
Old 09-21-2005, 07:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.82.238.27

Post deleted by rolando

Re: Man! What\'s with all the cat\'s claws out lately
Old 09-21-2005, 09:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
kelly

Member GG#: 35526

kellyg is offline IP: 65.247.32.197

Not just you, I've seen it too. Takes me back to junior high. God I don't miss those days!

kelly
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kellyg Visit kellyg's homepage! Find More Posts by kellyg

Old 09-21-2005, 10:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36994

DavidMoyle is offline IP: 66.245.244.230

Ah, the wonderful world of internet forums. There's the people who say things they'd never say to you in person, but on a computer it's easier. AND, then there's the mis-interpretation of what someone types because you can't tell if they are joking. Add that to sensitive ego due to emotional attachment to one's art and the need for validation, and you have the recipe for disaster.

Someone once said (not sure if it was here or where...I've heard it a few times) "The internet is where you go to practice what you do so you can make all the mistakes you could never get away with in the real world"

That's how I look at it. I post all my questionable stuff here to get feedback before I put it in my book to show people. To me, it's kinda like a classroom environment. People just need to relax and not take it so seriously.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidMoyle Visit DavidMoyle's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidMoyle

Old 09-21-2005, 10:17 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38112

telcoman is offline IP: 216.43.0.134

It reminds me of my kids (4 of them). Usually 3 will behave properly but there's always 1 that's got to go off. It's not even the same kid. It's like they get together and decide who's got to be bad.

I think it comes down to tact. Sometimes on an internet forum it's difficult to read tone and if you want to assume a bad tone it's very easy to do.

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to telcoman Visit telcoman's homepage! Find More Posts by telcoman

Old 09-21-2005, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38112

telcoman is offline IP: 216.43.0.134

[ QUOTE ]
Then the snide comments come in and the admins/mods start deleting and we start hearing about 1st ammendement rights, yada yada yada.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love it when people complain about their first ammendment rights. The right to express yourself - yes but nobody owes you a forum in which to do it.

Your sandbox, your rules. If I throw sand or piss in it then I can see how you don't want me to play in it anymore.

David

Uh, nice image btw.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to telcoman Visit telcoman's homepage! Find More Posts by telcoman

Old 09-21-2005, 10:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

Member GG#: 38071

Brattitude is offline IP: 66.151.166.5

I've learned that when reading posts, the tone inferred directly reflects the mood of the reader. I guess thats why I'm rarely offended here, because I'm usually in a good mood. When writing though, I typically assume that my readers are grouchy, so if I'm making jokes, I try to point them out in paranthesis to aid the cranky-butt readers out there. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brattitude Find More Posts by Brattitude

Old 09-21-2005, 10:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 70.144.51.43

I for one have lost one of the girls I shoot on here...uh let me restate one of the girls I shoot doesn't want anything to do with Garage Glamour any more, because of the private e-mails she has received from some of the more popular photographers in here. Some of the post in here is less than kind. I warned her there would be criticism, but I am a bit like her if it's mean criticism, or out right attacks it's just that. I personally want criticism so my photography can grow, even if it's hash so long as it's supported with the why s and here what's need to improve. For the guys in here that uses Garage Glamour as their own personal sounding board and continue to trash new people because they don't particularly like their style, mission accomplished in the case of one.
I tend to think that what comes around goes around. For the guys and gals that give constructive criticism in an honest and helpful way I applaud you I respect you and thank you. For the Jerks......
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankParis Find More Posts by FrankParis

Old 09-21-2005, 10:50 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42634
My Mood:

MannyR is offline IP: 24.218.237.127

I've been co-SysOping on a BBS's since way back in the days of the Commodore 64 (anybody remember CCGMS or CNet? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). I can tell you from experience that this sort of stuff has been going on since the Internet was nothing more than an itch in Al Gore's umm.... you know.

It's not really immaturity that's the problem. In people's heads, they "forget" that it's just not letters and numbers that they're reading on their screen, but that it was put there by another person. For all intensive purposes they get disconnected with reality by the anonymity of the Internet. The other problem is that, being a written medium, emotions are hard to convey (even with smileys). I don't think there's a person here who hasn't see a few postings where a person took a reply as being snide, but the replier really didn't have any malice toward them.

Yeah, I know that sounds dumb, but you saw a whole heck of a lot less cat-fighting on local BBS's back in the day. Many of the users' were local (and usually were part of the same computer/camera/etc) club. They'd usually have more respect for each other and just work it out face to face.

So to sum it up, it's not immaturity or thin skins that's the problem, but how people keep forgetting that the purdy pictures and the words that go along with them didn't take or post themselves. The other half of the problem is that people are too quick to jump to conclusions. Take a break, digest what was said for a day or so, and reply when you've had a chance to cool off. That alone has saved me quite a few embarrasing moments myself, so I know it works (and I don't necessarily mean that about any messages here).

-Freud out.

View Public Profile Send a private message to MannyR Visit MannyR's homepage! Find More Posts by MannyR