Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
From yesterday\'s Seductive Visions shoot, set-up images
Old 09-18-2005, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35960
Comments: 0

prfctn is offline IP: 208.179.64.118

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here are a couple of images of the light set-up and background placements. I didn't get any images last week that folks requested, but here are a couple from yesterday. As you can see the set up is very basic with very basic lighting gear. I didn't do any metering on the lights, I adjusted the settings based on the info I got off my 10D, I use am old TV monitor to preview everything that I shoot, and once I have it where I kind of what it, I start firing away. Usually I have someone watching the monitor as I'm shooting, letting me know if I straying from the light, or if I need to bracket my shots a bit for shawdowing.
What was great about yesterday, aside from having a wonderful model in Kori Rae to work with, was that JimmyD came to the shoot and lended a hand. I'll let him review what he expereinced yesterday and hopefully he'll point out some of the things I did well, and some of the things I really need to improve upon.
He'll tell you though that I do look for input and I never shy away from trying out suggestions from others in the room. I have a great respect for those that take time to come out and assist me and having Dan assisting me in this shoot is one of the reasons I really get to enjoy my craft.
A real special thanks to both Jimmy and Dan, and did I say that Kori was great to work with already? In truth, if you what to get a great image, you start out with a great model.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to prfctn Visit prfctn's homepage! Find More Posts by prfctn

Re: From yesterday\'s Seductive Visions shoot, set-up images
Old 09-18-2005, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39173
Send a message via Yahoo to LarryAB

LarryAB is offline IP: 68.52.149.80

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

It was nice of the builder to put that conduit on the wall so you'd have a place to hang backgrounds. :-)

The vinyl works great as a background. Just think about how many people you've sent to lowes or home depot!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LarryAB Visit LarryAB's homepage! Find More Posts by LarryAB

My Take On This Moses Guy
Old 09-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

[ QUOTE ]
JimmyD came to the shoot and lended a hand. I'll let him review what he expereinced yesterday and hopefully he'll point out some of the things I did well, and some of the things I really need to improve upon.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh boy! not only can i critique images moses posts, i can critique the man himself. He's left himself wide open... and by invitation! ya gotta love that!

okay... I was going to write my Moses critique on stone tablets but i don't have any handy so i'll do it here. Just pretend GG is like a cyber-stone-tablet and you're on top of some mountain in the middle-east and i'm writing this stuff with lighting bolts. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

No... seriously...

The Strengths of Moses:

He can part large bodies of water by invoking Jehova's name... no, sorry. dumb joke! but couldn't resist.

Okay, he asked for it. Here's the things I was most impressed with:

A) He captured some great images. That's always the thing that impresses me foremost.

B) Mo had a plan... a vision... i.e., he knew what he was after and had a pretty good idea how to get there. (this is something i could take some pointers in... i'm kind of too much on the spontanaeity (disorganized and unprepared) side for my own good sometimes.)

C) This dude has a very professional and engaging setside manner, i.e., he's extremely adept at putting the model at ease... making her feel comfortable and gaining her trust. It's one of the characteristics i pride myself in and something i notice in other photographers, that is, whether they're good at this or not. it also ups Mo's stock that, besides fairly paying the model for her time and skill and beauty, he pays for a professional massage therapist--you know, the kind that actually has medical credentials--to come in at the end of the shoot and work the kinks out of the model. and trust me, Mo had kori Rae holding some physically demanding poses... not that she bitched about it cuz she aint that way, but he put her thru some tough calesthenics, that's for sure. I would've requested a massage myself but he (the massage guy) wasn't my type. Mo also took us to dinner and, since i was starving, he gets major points for that one!

D) He tolerated me. And trust me, I can be tough on people's abilities to keep focused and concentrating on their work... i'm sometimes a pain that way cuz, well, cuz life--to me--is mostly a comedy club.

E) while Mo's lighting and grip equipment pales in comparison to mine [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] he relies on creativity and imagination to make up for using basic gear in simple lighting setups. i see a lot of people here who seem to think it's all about gear. and, yeah, the right gear can certainly make life easier in a lot of situations and it can open additional opportunities for trying things out, but its never going to replace creativity as the primary ingredient for capturing good images.

F) I'm pretty confident his check won't bounce. I'm always impressed with that.

The Weaknesses of Moses:

A) He can't part large bodies of water by invoking the name of God... if he could, I would EVEN WAY MORE FREAKIN' IMPRESSED! I might even get religion! (unless you count being a pagan a religion which would mean i already got it... religion, that is.)

Okay, that's my critique of this guy. I know Kori had a great time and I did as well. Thanks Mo! It was real, dude! Hope to do it again soon!

Here's an image so i don't get slammed for ignoring the courtesy rules. (i think i schmutched her face too much in PS but what the heck.)

View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

One of the results oh having Jimmy around
Old 09-18-2005, 10:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

When shooting this series of Kori, Jimmy made comments about working the 'dutch angle', did I get that right Jimmy?

Can you comment on this further, I didn't get a chance to pick your brain about this style of composing a shot, and the background behind the term.

The image in question. I was going more for a feel to the shot, trying to capture the suttle expressions of the mouth to the body language.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to prfctn Visit prfctn's homepage! Find More Posts by prfctn

Man am I sore............................
Old 09-18-2005, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 44943

Kori_Rae is offline IP: 24.127.139.13

Quote-at the end of the shoot and work the kinks out of the model. and trust me, Mo had kori Rae holding some physically demanding poses... not that she bitched about it cuz she aint that way, but he put her thru some tough calesthenics, that's for sure".

Oh my god I am so sore today let me tell you.........I dont know if its from all the poses or the massage but I feel like a train hit me today.... All in all it was worth it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Kori_Rae Find More Posts by Kori_Rae

Dutch Angles
Old 09-18-2005, 10:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

a 'dutch angle' is a cinematic term where the camera is purposely canted or angled in way that makes the shot diagonal (to some degree) to the horizon or the edge of the film frame (which represents a level horizon). i don't know the exact origin of the term: perhaps some cinematographer from the 40s who was either dutch or who's nickname was dutch. i say the 40s because dutch angles first came into vogue in the 40's especially in thrillers and films shot in a film noir style.

anyway, you had that BG with all those prominent vertical and horzontal lines and i was thinking "way cool" when you're contrasting the soft curves of the model against the hard lines of the BG and even WAY COOLER when canting (angling or dutching) the camera and, well, look at your results: tell me those dutch angles don't make the shots even more interesting and compelling!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

You are absolutely right
Old 09-19-2005, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Doing the dutch thing does make shots more compelling. Soft curves against hard lines has always appealed to me.

On this shoot, using the fixed lense really was a challenge to get those angles, luckily I had the room in the studio to move about. Using a zoom lense makes it easier, granted, but getting that sharpness we talked about, need to have the 5D when it comes out for the speed of its focal points when switching up. That's where the Mark II delivers.

Thanks again for the background info, your experience in the cinematic realm is what I want to learn more from you on in translating that to fixed images. You have a gift for it, my respect to you. Now to start watching those well lit movies to grab ideas from.