Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Images and a question about promoting \"talent\"
Old 09-15-2005, 07:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.233.56.203

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is Candace and I have posted a few images of her from a recent shoot a week or so ago. Now, I probably didn't do her justice, but I have received NUMEROUS comments on how this young lady should be "marketed" to.....THATS the question.... TO WHOM???

Since many have made such strong comments, It got me to thinking. How does a inexperienced photographer help such a talent if she indeed has "the" or "A" LOOK an agency may covet.

I hired her at 16 years old in a school program...she is now 20 and really has no huge aspirations towards modeling...mainly becuase she doesn't think she can make it. Now I don't know enough about the industry to even comment on that. I photographed her because I think she is a beautiful young lady and would like to add her to my portfolio.

Having said that, what would be a starting point for a young lady such as this??

She is 5' 9", about 110 - 115 lbs I would guess, and probably a B cup if that matters...I don't care for exposure for myself, but if she does have "IT" I would like to point her in the right direction...

View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Re: Images and a question about promoting \"talent\"
Old 09-15-2005, 08:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 24.242.249.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First things first...
Ask her if she wants to be a model.
If so, what kind?
If she wants to be a fashion model, I would suggest she save
her money and go to NYC for about 3-5 days and go to all the
cattle calls with the major agencies. They will either pick her
up or will not.
It may cost her about $1200.00 with airfare and hotel (In Jersey),
but it's better than spending money on the agencies here.
Then if she's not picked up in NYC, she can really evaluate her
modeling asperations and go to plan B.

Greg.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gregkdavis Visit gregkdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by gregkdavis

Old 09-15-2005, 08:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.233.56.203

We did speak briefly about just that after the shoot. She REALLY likes the fashion part of modeling. I , by NO means am qualified to give her guidance so thought I'd pose the question here...Thanks for the input Greg, I will pass it along...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 09-15-2005, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
kelly

Member GG#: 35526

kellyg is offline IP: 67.0.81.241

I wish I had some advice to give you to pass on to her....but I'm no fashion expert, I'm commercial all the way BABY!...lol She is very beautiful and I'm sure you will get some great feedback from the fashion guru's here. Greg gave some great pointers already!!

kellyg
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kellyg Visit kellyg's homepage! Find More Posts by kellyg

try it in Dallas
Old 09-16-2005, 01:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 72.25.123.195

If I remember correctly, Dallas has a pretty good fashion industry. I don't think there's anything wrong with having her go to walk-in interviews with the model agencies there. Just have her call and ask them when they are (if they have them, this would be where for a couple hours a week, anyone can walk in off the street and be looked at, even if they don't have pictures). Otherwise, she'd have to make an appointment to be interviewed. Agencies do this all the time, that's one way they find new talent. If she works in Dallas, she can develop her book and try sending pictures to NY and Miami agents, or as suggested, go visit NY for a week. On the one hand, it may be cheaper and easier to get started and build up a book in Dallas (not to mentiona actually book some work), on the other hand, at 20 years old, she's on the verge of being too old to start as a beginner doing fashion in NY (they like them to start young - like 16 or earlier - they expect them to be seasoned pros by 21. The first question really is, how badly does she want it? Fashion modeling can be really tough, and the rejection is brutal, more so than almost anything I can think of because the "qualifications" are so narrow, and if you're not exactly perfect - size, height, skin, poise, attitude, runway walking, etc - you don't work. (Runway is a bigger part of being a fashion model than those of us at GG might realize). At least other kinds of modeling have some flexibility. You know, I chuckle sometimes when I look at model's web pages where they say they want to do fashion, and they're only 5'3". If you're girl is truly 5'9", she's at the bare minimum for real fashion work (its all about sample sizes - ask Chunglee to explain it to you). Another thing, either take her out and do some other photos, probably on location indoors and out, or help her find some photographers who will if that's not your thing. Models need to work with a variety of photographers and makeup artists and stylists when working on their book, as not everyone sees her the way you do.

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman