Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
iPod Photo
Old 09-14-2005, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402
Comments: 0

timxdrama is offline IP: 64.168.14.180

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I guess this could be in tech, but its really more asking general ideas about the topic not the technical issues.

I just picked up an iPod 60gb photo, one of the reasons is that i can unload my 20D onto it on site! I know its not perfectly efficient or fast, but i get an iPod AND a portable hard drive for about $350 instead of 60 1 gig cards for $6000 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

i havent gotten the camera connector yet so dont ask me how well it works. hell i might be dreaming but it seems like a really cool idea. and i wanted an Ipod anyways!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Re: iPod Photo
Old 09-14-2005, 01:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40662
Send a message via MSN to PaoloM Send a message via Yahoo to PaoloM

PaoloM is offline IP: 193.111.46.11

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My friend have one with connector and,,,it doesnt work....I hope you will be more lucky!

Regards

Paolo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PaoloM Visit PaoloM's homepage! Find More Posts by PaoloM

Old 09-14-2005, 08:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42634
My Mood:

MannyR is offline IP: 24.218.237.127

Speaking from personal experience on my part, you won't be happy with it for on-location photo storage.

I could ignore the snail-like transfer speed if I was able to transfer a lot of images to the iPod. What I couldn't ignore was that the iPod's internal battery would run out after transferring the contents of a little more than two 512MB CF cards. To say that the performance was pathetic is an understatement.

Also, unless Apple came out with a major update for the iPod Photo that I'm unaware of, you won't be able to review the images you offload to the iPod Photo.

Until some company makes a image transfer adapter for the iPod that also provides power to the iPod at the same time, using an iPod as a portable image bank will be limited. As far as I'm aware of, there isn't A SINGLE ADAPTER out there that'll power the iPod at the same time as it transfers camera data to it.

View Public Profile Send a private message to MannyR Visit MannyR's homepage! Find More Posts by MannyR

Old 09-15-2005, 02:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

timxdrama is offline IP: 63.205.13.51

[ QUOTE ]
Speaking from personal experience on my part, you won't be happy with it for on-location photo storage.

I could ignore the snail-like transfer speed if I was able to transfer a lot of images to the iPod. What I couldn't ignore was that the iPod's internal battery would run out after transferring the contents of a little more than two 512MB CF cards. To say that the performance was pathetic is an understatement.

Also, unless Apple came out with a major update for the iPod Photo that I'm unaware of, you won't be able to review the images you offload to the iPod Photo.

Until some company makes a image transfer adapter for the iPod that also provides power to the iPod at the same time, using an iPod as a portable image bank will be limited. As far as I'm aware of, there isn't A SINGLE ADAPTER out there that'll power the iPod at the same time as it transfers camera data to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

the one i got is only a month old so its the newest out. i got it for music and figured the photo features would be a bonus. ive already been able to use it as a portable HD to transport work back and forth to school for my photo classes!

we'll see how it works out when i get the photo connector. my battery can go about 13 hours non stop music... does it really drain that fast loading photos?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

from all i\'ve heard...
Old 09-15-2005, 04:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35226

johnnyolsen is offline IP: 69.3.116.116

it's not a competitive solution. way too slow.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to johnnyolsen Visit johnnyolsen's homepage! Find More Posts by johnnyolsen

Old 09-15-2005, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42634
My Mood:

MannyR is offline IP: 24.218.237.127

[ QUOTE ]
the one i got is only a month old so its the newest out. i got it for music and figured the photo features would be a bonus. ive already been able to use it as a portable HD to transport work back and forth to school for my photo classes!

we'll see how it works out when i get the photo connector. my battery can go about 13 hours non stop music... does it really drain that fast loading photos?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you use the iPod to play back music, the HD only spins for a very short time. When you use it to store pictures, the HD is constantly running. My iPod literally got hot to the touch during transfers.

When my iPod was new, it would last for quite a while for music playback too. These days, I'm lucky if I get 4 hours out of it. It's not a huge deal since I use it mainly as a replacement for a CD Changer in my car, and I have it jacked directly into my car's audio system (and it gets power from it too).
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MannyR Visit MannyR's homepage! Find More Posts by MannyR

Old 09-15-2005, 01:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dax
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35270

Dax is offline IP: 68.215.8.199

Or you can get a laptop for about $1000 ( less, if u go pc )and u get more than just music and photos. =)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dax Visit Dax's homepage! Find More Posts by Dax

Old 09-15-2005, 02:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you use the iPod to play back music, the HD only spins for a very short time. When you use it to store pictures, the HD is constantly running. My iPod literally got hot to the touch during transfers.

When my iPod was new, it would last for quite a while for music playback too. These days, I'm lucky if I get 4 hours out of it. It's not a huge deal since I use it mainly as a replacement for a CD Changer in my car, and I have it jacked directly into my car's audio system (and it gets power from it too).

[/ QUOTE ]

makes perfect sense. it wasnt until AFTER i purchased it that i thought i might be able to use it as storage.. so either way it will still be used to the fullest extent music wise. thanks for feedback

Old 09-15-2005, 02:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

[ QUOTE ]
Or you can get a laptop for about $1000 ( less, if u go pc )and u get more than just music and photos. =)

[/ QUOTE ]

haha yup ive got a laptop too, i use it as my main pc. have a tower at home too, pretty much just acting as a server (im obsessed with new gadgets and toys)

Old 09-15-2005, 06:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.237.48.55

Now if Apple would make an iPod for film, that'd be great!!! I know it'll never happen. Actually, that's a great idea you came up with, good thinking, I might try that when I go digital.

Isaiah Brink
  View Public Profile Send a private message to isaiahbrink Find More Posts by isaiahbrink