Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
An observation and advice for new photographers and models to the forum
Old 09-13-2005, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

Member GG#: 38071
Comments: 0

Brattitude is offline IP: 66.151.166.5

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have noticed a pattern of new models and photographers coming to the forums, making one or two posts asking for input on their work and then based on the response, either vanishing back into the oblivion they came from or sticking around to weather some abuse and ultimately (hopefully) learning something.

If you are new to the forums here's a few things I've learned in my time here...

1) There is a wealth of knowledge here, but it won't necessarily seek you out. If you truely want to learn, you need to do some leg work.

2) Show respect. This is a family here, and many people have been around a long time. Coming in with a cocky attitude will only get you smacked around. Even the old timers who don't get along on the boards will be on the same side against a cocky/arrogant newcomer.

3) Ask for feedback. If you ask for feedback, you may get a lot of response or none at all. If you get no response, keep trying, and understand that if you're not getting any response at all, you might want to consider going back to the drawing board and starting again. Some stuff is so blah, that there's really nothing to be said. Now... If you are one of the lucky ones who gets a lot of feedback, listen to what is being said to you, and don't start slinging arrows because you got your feelings hurt. If you don't want the answer, don't ask the question.

4) If you ask for feedback and don't get any, keep trying. Try being a part of the community and make a name for yourself around here. If the people start to get to know you, you're more likely to get responses.

5) Just because you've been lurking for 2 years and feel like you know everyone here, keep in mind that because you have been lurking for 2 years, nobody here knows you and you are still a newb. It takes time to build a repoir.

6) If you find somebody who inspires you, contact them directly to ask for advice. Don't expect them to come to you.

7) Introduce yourself. Tell us a little about yourself, and post any work you've done, even if it's not the masterpiece you set out to make.

8) Make sure you have your profile filled out with info and pictures or a link to where this stuff can be found. Ghosts with attitudes are not well revceived around here.

9) Don't try to pass off someone elses work as your own, we usually find it, and then you're in for it.

10) If you critique someone elses work, be sure to include a photo of your own. This is one of GGs Golden rules. Be sure to read the forum guidelines before posting anyhow, it will save you a lot of grief, and questions if something you posted gets deleted.

I'm sure I'll come up with more, but this is a good start. I guess my point is... If you want to get something out of this forum, it's there for the taking. But don't post once and expect everyone to fall all over you, it takes work sometimes.
Oh yeah... and welcome to GG.

Toni

View Public Profile Send a private message to Brattitude Find More Posts by Brattitude

Here, Here!
Old 09-13-2005, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35261

JackiM is offline IP: 12.208.154.129

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm glad new people are coming in, but I see what you are talking about. I think to a newbie, it looks like you can say whatever you want and your opinion will be respected here regardless of skill and experience. They don't realize how long it took us to build up that rapport and respect for each other by learning, growing and contributing. I didn't come in and try to take GG over. I didn't critique anyone's work-especially not the seasoned pros (I still don't dare do that!) If I had, I would have fully expected some very negative feedback.... Instead I came here to learn and as I did, I contributed and slowly developed a reputation as a dedicated GG member I feel pretty free now to say what I want only because most people know me and they know that I mostly know what I'm talking about...and I never mean harm, I only want to help where I can. Sometimes I say things that I'd like to take back, but it took years to develop that comfort level and most people forgive me if I say something stupid these days I wish the newbies would show respect first, learn, contribute to discussion and critique later. Great post!

Hat's off to ya [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JackiM Find More Posts by JackiM

Re: An observation and advice for new photographers and models to the forum
Old 09-13-2005, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

okay I'll go back and start over!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2005, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

This was for the new models and photographers, not the old pain in the asses [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I think you're fairly established around here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Toni
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brattitude Find More Posts by Brattitude

Old 09-13-2005, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
not the old pain in the asses

[/ QUOTE ]

Touche!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Here, Here!
Old 09-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bigtimebeginner

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 216.67.170.57

Great advice, both from you (Jacki) and Toni. I would definitely consider myself in the "newbie" category and without doubt my association with GG since last winter has tremendously helped my understanding of photography in all areas (notice I didn't say photographic quality [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). I appreciate all the photokings who take the time to analyze and yes, beat up my work in order to lay the groundwork for improvement. It's tough sometimes to pick myself back up again, but if it is worth it, then it will be done. Thanks to the models such as yourselves with amazing portfolios that chime in and help both in the photo analysis as well as the posing. As far as offering a critique, well I am pretty careful because of several reasons. I like to try to figure out lighting, but that's about it... I don't shoot near as much as I would like but when I do and I think I have something that is worth posting, I without doubt expect to receive solid critiques. I think that is what it all about. Plus I like reading Don and Jimmyd's stuff.

jim

Re: Here, Here!
Old 09-13-2005, 04:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
Plus I like reading Don and Jimmyd's stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

boy thats like apples and oranges....Socrates and Dopey....you know what I'm saying...

most important of all...
Old 09-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35226

johnnyolsen is offline IP: 69.3.211.127

grow a skin.

1) people's feeeeeeeeelings get hurt around here a lot. written words easily seem more harsh than the spoken word. it's easy to get fouled up the true intent of what someone's trying to convey.

2) maybe we should have a check box of new people here to see if they wanna be treated in the "online" world or the "real" world. the "online" world revolves around posting medicore photos and everyone saying "atta boy". sadly, in the real world, you'll have your ass handed to you in way that won't be pretty. i've had it happen to me and if you haven't had it happen to you, perhaps you're not seeing the right people. fortunately those *hurtful* comments allowed me to grow as an artist.
there's (another) old saying that goes. "the truth will set you free...but first it's gonna piss you off" lol

and before someone goes off on a "this thread is about me" rant, it's not. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

as i've said in other threads, the reason that i don't post that much here, is because what winds up coming out of my mouth is negative. i'll congratulate people here and there, but 90% of what i see here could use work. most people don't want to hear real world stuff here (which is fine)

now back to our regular programming. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to johnnyolsen Visit johnnyolsen's homepage! Find More Posts by johnnyolsen

Old 09-13-2005, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36016
Comments: 2
My Mood:

mhickey is offline IP: 70.112.31.251

Have I told you lately how I love you?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mhickey Visit mhickey's homepage! Find More Posts by mhickey

Old 09-13-2005, 05:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

It's always nice to hear [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Toni