Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
look at that FANCY professional!
Old 09-13-2005, 02:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402
Comments: 0

timxdrama is offline IP: 64.168.14.180

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

i got my canon 28-135IS lens and my battery grip for my 20D today from b&h. i threw it all on and wandered the block (i live right next to the california capitol and office buildings in sac) feelin it out just to play with my new toys. now ive done this numerous times before when im bored and have never had a comment or anyone say hi to me.

for some reason today i had at least 5-10 people stop and ask me what i was shooting for, or who i work for, or where they can see my work...

wow, having quality 'looking' gear makes a difference i guess! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

oh and thanks for all the responses on my last post. i didnt catch on fire, it was about a 10 minute experiment nothing long term, its already 'disassembled.' next time comment on the photo not me catching on fire!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Re: look at that FANCY professional!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.169.76

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Yeah, that image thing, it's kind of funny how equipment can do that. Back during the Atlanta Olympics I was wandering around with a friend and shooting some video. I was not working at all, just shooting for myself, but had a large SVHS camera on my shoulder and was wearing a photo vest, so I guess I looked the part. All over Olymic Park, people would wave whenever I pointed the camera. Several times women who were obviously beauty contestants or models working some event or another, dressed to the nines would begin posing whenever I came by and one time while shooting a fountain, security actually prevented people from walking in front of me. Almost like being a celebrity myself!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Doug_Lester Visit Doug_Lester's homepage! Find More Posts by Doug_Lester

Old 09-13-2005, 03:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.50

LMAO!!

That is really awesome!!

Cool,...glad you like the new gear...and that you are using it, and learning new things.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Keep it up!

JP

Old 09-13-2005, 03:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.222.50

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that image thing, it's kind of funny how equipment can do that. Back during the Atlanta Olympics I was wandering around with a friend and shooting some video. I was not working at all, just shooting for myself, but had a large SVHS camera on my shoulder and was wearing a photo vest, so I guess I looked the part. All over Olymic Park, people would wave whenever I pointed the camera. Several times women who were obviously beauty contestants or models working some event or another, dressed to the nines would begin posing whenever I came by and one time while shooting a fountain, security actually prevented people from walking in front of me. Almost like being a celebrity myself!

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG that's funny!!

I needed that.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Ok... off to bed!

JP

Old 09-13-2005, 04:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402

timxdrama is offline IP: 64.168.14.180

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha thats cool, cant believe security worked WITH you!! i should get a vest and try to walk onto a field at some sports event sometime.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Old 09-13-2005, 07:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38285
Send a message via AIM to Gunslinger101

Gunslinger101 is offline IP: 66.245.36.247

[ QUOTE ]
for some reason today i had at least 5-10 people stop and ask me what i was shooting for, or who i work for, or where they can see my work...

[/ QUOTE ]

Tim, those were the Governators security agents. They have your photo posted in a little room, and two guys with hairy knucles are saying, "Who is this guy..."
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunslinger101 Find More Posts by Gunslinger101

Old 09-13-2005, 08:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Try doing that at a Biker Rally. Girls clothes just start coming off!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 09-13-2005, 08:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 65.197.247.151

[ QUOTE ]
Try doing that at a Biker Rally. Girls clothes just start coming off!

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't that just the truth! I went to the North Texas Rock Ralley this year with my D70 and 80-200mm f/2.8 monster. The very first time I raised the camera to my eye, two girls on the back of a golf cart lifted their tanktops in unison. Made my day!
Too bad I couldn't get these two to do the same!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

The downside of gear \"image\"
Old 09-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

in the video world, one prosumer camera over another can make the difference in whether you're hassled by law enforcement or not. for instance, in el lay, where the cops are fairly savvy about things like this, the use of a canon XL1 has a way greater chance of getting you stopped and asked whether or not you have a filming permit. but shooting at the same place with a sony vx2000 will, more often than not, not. why? cuz the canon has more of a "look" of a pro camera while the sony does not. obviously, the sony is the camera of choice for stealing shots without a permit.

but it is nice to be recognized as a pro, even if you're being acknowledged that way simply because of the gear you're wielding.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: The downside of gear \"image\"
Old 09-13-2005, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39673
Send a message via ICQ to Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy is offline IP: 149.160.27.113

When I was working at the Stern show, E! was using the XL1, back in the late 90's. It was because they were able to get a good image and still not look like the six o' clock news, so we were hassled less when we were out in the street. When I walked around with a hitachi z-one-c matched to a beta sp deck I would get pinched by the cops every time for not having a permit.

Long live the mini cams. I have a permanent knot in my shoulder from carrying around that 40 pound monster!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hoosier_Daddy Visit Hoosier_Daddy's homepage! Find More Posts by Hoosier_Daddy