Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Observing GG (text only)
Old 09-12-2005, 09:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43515
Comments: 0

DHDSP is offline IP: 80.69.192.65

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Impressions from a silent observant

After observing GG for about 3 to 4 Months , i Thought I'd share some of my impressions.

I (!) like to look at GG as a place to learn about glamour photography - and overall I have learnt a lot - especially about how pictures are supposed to look. And this is also the way I use GG. Every morning before I start work, I look at the latest posting on the main page at the left.

This column is my main source of information, and not the forum itself.I think the reason for this is that only the title of the message is shown , not the complete thread. Like this I don't have to go into the different forums, so I save time. One problem with my "method" is that sometimes I miss posts just because the don't fit the list anymore.

Then I look at the pictures in the postings and save some of them to a (private) directory so i can use them as my reference later on. I sometimes also collect pictures from the profile. Thats why i can understand the fuss about the right click script - but that issue was resolved very professionally. After having them in a directory I classify them to see similarities in them, and sometimes I try to find the pose in Jeff Black's Posing Guide. By the way: the posing guide would be even more valuable if one could see the lighting setup.

All this, only to find my way to start making pictures of my wife. I am trying to reduce the risk of making bad pictures of a beautiful (but not a pro model) woman. That's why I have a category of pictures I can use as an example for a shooting with her, and a category of pictures which are totally out of question. Last weekend I made the first couple of pictures and they seem to support my theory: the pose I took from the example pics looks good, my own posing-idea made her legs look fat ... I just have to find a way to accentuate her good sides.

The next step for me will be Rolando's DVD: this will hopefully become my prime source of info to really get started. I am patiently (?) waiting for it to arrive/be shipped [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

For me , as a glamour beginner, it was very interesting to see the progress which can be made in a relative small period of time.The photographer who impressed me most - related to progress - certainly was Don with DeAnn. They showed my 4 things:

1. You can LEARN to make good pictures
2. It is possible to make good pictures of non pro models
3. Giving up is not an option [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
4. Most important: have fun !

Most of the critiques are constructive and as such are interesting to read. Even if they sound harsh sometimes, if they are technically correct it doesn't bother me. I could name a couple of photographers and models who are very valuable to me in my learning process, but i could just as well say to look at the user ranking on the main page... (One series of pictures I enjoy a lot are the famous DavidMoyle leg photos. As a matter of fact: the first picture ever printed on my pixma 4000 was a DavidMoyle "leg-picture"... So this probably tells me I am a leg fetishist , huh ?)

There are a couple of things I do miss on GG:

- As a beginner I would like to see more shots of how the pictures were made. Like Studio shots of the shooting or just seeing where the reflectors were held.
- I would prefer a somewhat longer list of recent articles on the main page.
- Exif Data of the pictures , or just technical Data on lenses/apertures/times.
- a way for international users (I know that probably 90% of the users are from the U.S.A) to find models in a certain country

For now I can just say "thanks" to Rolando for this site, and all of you for sharing the pictures and the information!
I promise I will post some my pictures as soon as they meet my personal criteria...

CU
Peter (from Germany)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DHDSP Find More Posts by DHDSP

Re: Observing GG (text only)
Old 09-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[ QUOTE ]
For me , as a glamour beginner, it was very interesting to see the progress which can be made in a relative small period of time.The photographer who impressed me most - related to progress - certainly was Don with DeAnn. They showed my 4 things:

1. You can LEARN to make good pictures
2. It is possible to make good pictures of non pro models
3. Giving up is not an option
4. Most important: have fun !

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Peter...but Im just a Hack that gets lucky on occassion
Couldnt do any of this without DeAnn she deserves the Credit..
P.S. we're still havin fun!
Don.

Old 09-12-2005, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Bull$hit you're just a hack. Give yourself more credit sir!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 09-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

I've got about 40 hours of shooting just like you're talking about coming up and I will make it a mission to put together some behind the scenes shots for you. My way may not be the best way, but it's the way that works for me. Hopefully you can learn from it, and other will be able to help me shoot better knowing how I'm shooting.

Mike

View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 09-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 216.65.162.101

I agree with Mike here... You have surpassed the level of hack. And you have to start giving yourself the credit you deserve or no one else will.

Scott
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory