Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Relationships
Old 09-11-2005, 05:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44937
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to Joseph1

Joseph1 is offline IP: 65.173.59.201

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi everyone!!!
I have read in some articles and experienced when i have a session, that photograpy is about relationships. When u shoot people so the relationship you have with them is vital. How do you trear your clients or models? How do you stablish a relationship for they to trust you???

have a nice day and nice shoots to everyone!"!!!!

wait for replies.

Joseph Art
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Joseph1 Find More Posts by Joseph1

Re: Relationships
Old 09-11-2005, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35207

millerb is offline IP: 64.216.16.123

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

One way to establish trust is to talk with them, if at all possible set up a meeting at a location that is public and talk about the shoot your wanting to do. That way you can both get to know each other before ever getting in front of the camera. Also when shooting a model talk to them, tell them what your doing, what your looking for. By doing that it will put both of you'll at ease.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to millerb Visit millerb's homepage! Find More Posts by millerb

Old 09-12-2005, 01:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.75.107

I can usually tell how well I've succeeded in creating a reasonable relationship by looking at the pictures after a shoot. It's easy to spot the apprehensive eyes, defensive body postures, and general lack of interaction which indicate a breakdown of the process. Sometimes, it's readily apparent during a shoot, sometimes not.

So how to overcome the problem? First, I always invite the model to bring a companion. Some do, some don't. I'll say up front that the percentage of success with a companion present seems to be better, especially on the first shoot with new models. I can hear the screams of protest from some shooters, but that's the way it is...

Secondly, the model knows what to expect in advance. We have discussed what we are going to do in advance, and then again when she arrives before any shooting. I don't pull any surprises on her, I don't ask her to do more than we have previously agreed to, and if she doesn't feel comfortable with something, we move on to something else.

I like to keep the shoot friendly, but professional. I have refreshments available, a private and secure changing area, and I keep conversation away from personal topics. If she likes music, there's a large variety to select from.

Does it always work? No, sometimes it doesn't... Sometimes it may take several shoots with a model before you create the spontaneous interaction necessary to get good images. That's the price you pay for working with relatively inexperienced models.

The big problem is what to do if you recognize the problem during the shoot? My solution is to stop the shoot, and take a break. Have the model look at some of the images done so far, and attempt to get the model involved in the process. By getting her input sometimes you can identify what the concern is... sometimes not.

One ploy I used is to involve the companion in the shoot. This can be as simple as having them move something, fix a stray hair, or actually get into the picture with the model. I've also borrowed nearby children and animals to provide some interaction with the model. Sometimes having the model briefly hold a two year old or a friendly dog can do wonders.

Sometimes there is just no responsiveness at all... it's like talking to a wall, and then it's time to end it. Continuing is just wasting time and effort, won't result in anything useable, and that can contibute to future problems. This has to be done diplomatically, you never want to make the model feel it is her fault or that you blame her. Equipment malfunction is one out...

Occasionally, I work with very experienced and professional models. The difference is usually immediately apparent. They generally know what is necessary, and get on with it. They know how to create that instant rapport whether real or feigned.

Now this is just my approach. Others may have entirely different ways of getting there. I've seen some approaches work, and some fail. You are dealing with people, and on any given day you may be successful, or you may not...

Bear in mind that I am shooting strictly amateur. Commercial shooters may not have the luxury of walking away from a shoot. But then they aren't usually working with beginner models. Well, okay, maybe the Playboy shooters are, but they generally have several days of advance meetings, and several days of shooting to smooth things out. Besides they're working under entirely different conditions.

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Hmmmm... only two responses to a damn good question... For shame!
Old 09-14-2005, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.72.26

Come on big time shooters, let's hear how you do it!

Or are you going to let an infrequent poster and a dilettante carry the load on this one?

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

I switch on my
Old 09-14-2005, 12:15 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.107.219.88

Cometic Charm...

It puts theme at ease and usually equates to a fun shoot:

View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 09-28-2005, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Joseph1 is offline IP: 205.241.36.201

Hey Al- Nowak,

Thank you very much about the long answer and sharing. That really helps.
You know something that i have read from the profile of Matthew Jordan Jr. ( a celebrity photographer) is that the relationships are vital for your work. He says that people hire you because they like you, and celebrities choose just exclusive people. The book ¨how to win friends and influence people¨ of Dale Carnagie has helped him too much. I read the book and it`s interesting.

THanks again.

Joseph Art
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Joseph1 Find More Posts by Joseph1

Old 09-28-2005, 10:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Joseph1 is offline IP: 205.241.36.201

Hey ..
THanks so much millerb !! help a lot.
Actually what do is to try to become his/her friend so we can have already a relationship. Of Course i set an appoinment and we talk.

Thnks again..
JOSEPH ART