Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Tattoos, The Good, The Bad, The Very Ugly...
Old 09-07-2005, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 69.19.14.22

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Some time ago, I was hoping to get lucky w/ another Playboy centerfold submission. They turned the girl down, and strongly hinted she might have gotten it if not for a tribal style tattoo across the small of her adorable back. More recently, another model got turned down for what would have been a lucrative continuing gig because of her several tattoos -- the company was quite blunt, "She'd have gotten it if not for the tatts."

I would like to hear the thoughts of my learned colleagues, both models and photographers, regarding tattoos. I'm particularly interested if photographers can state flatly whether they do or do not cost the girl money, and I'm also very, very interested in WHY girls decide to get inked.

Not wanting to hurt feelings...
Old 09-07-2005, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436
Comments: 0

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

is the bane of our society. If we had been more strident about the proliferation of body graffiti when it first started maybe it wouldn't be such a problem.
Not to be rude but a long lifetime of observation has led me to believe that people in general and especially women can talk themselves into most any fool thing and far too often do. Just don't hurt their fragile self image with facts. And the fact is tatts are generally ugly and for sure a fad and fads pass but tatts don't.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Lorraine and Sabina
Old 09-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46127

PhotosByDolph is offline IP: 24.98.33.228

Sometimes the models are looking for that style of modeling.
Vintage Pin-up models Lorraine Tully and Sabina Kelly of Las Vegas have turned it into guite a big deal, and can be found in pinup calenders, hot rod mags, and retro clothing print ads in publications all over the world. I have shot them several times...(they are way cool)
If you and your models are interested in publishing your stuff like that, let me know and I will email you my contacts to some of those magazines that I shoot for.

Here are some shots from a cover and inside spread photoshoot for ***** Magazine we did in the Vegas desert back in the Spring.
Makeup and Hair: Jennifer Karlsten for M.A.C. (Las Vegas)
Car by Kustomsville West, Las Vegas

<center>Lorraine
[img]http://www.photosbydolph.com/*****/Lorraine1a.jpg[/img]</center>

<center>Sabina
[img]http://www.photosbydolph.com/*****/Sabina1a.jpg[/img]</center>

<center>Centerspread
[img]http://www.photosbydolph.com/*****/Car1.5.jpg[/img]</center>
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotosByDolph Visit PhotosByDolph's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosByDolph

Re: Tattoos, The Good, The Bad, The Very Ugly...
Old 09-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 63.84.113.197

While doing my figure work, I couldn't find models who didn't have tatoos. I decided not to fight it, and started a body art project. Suddenly, I can't get a single model *with* the kind of inking I need to pose! Go figure....

Tatoos a fad? I think not. Tatooing has been around for thousands of years and will be around long after we're all dust. Social mores change with the wind. I remember the day when only women and "fags" had pierced ears. When I got mine pierced in the early 80s, I had to make sure I had the correct ear pierced, or I would have been mistaken for a gay man (not that there's anything wrong with that). Now here we are in the early throes of the 21st century and piereced ears are passe and tatooed chicks are common.

I happen to love good ink. In fact, I am ready to have my one tatoo revisited by a talented artist, and my wife and son are going to get tats on his 18th birthday (a year and half away). It is true, however, that in *commercial* modeling, tats are a problem. But if a non-commercial model wants ink, she needs good ink - and unobtrusive.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Re: Lorraine and Sabina
Old 09-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35236
Send a message via AIM to eselby Send a message via Yahoo to eselby

eselby is offline IP: 63.84.113.197

Jeeeeeez, Tim!
Stop it!!! You're making the rest us look bad! (well, okay - just me - but still!) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to eselby Visit eselby's homepage! Find More Posts by eselby

Hey buddy...
Old 09-07-2005, 01:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 46127

PhotosByDolph is offline IP: 24.98.33.228

Just got on here two days ago.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotosByDolph Visit PhotosByDolph's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosByDolph

Old 09-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45074

PrimeJive is offline IP: 69.139.203.180

I f you have to say on your profile that tattoos are 'easily photoshoped' then you should know that you should not have them in the first place.
There are two different ways a photographer works with a model
1. the pictures adapt to the model: the model is the main subject and the photographer works and adapts to whatever the model looks like
2. the model adapts or is cast for the shoot. In this case tatts could and most often than not are a problem. No major shoot starts by k nowing that you are going to spend time and money retouching tattoos no matter how small they are.
Unless a model or actor wants to limit his/her callbacks and hiring possibilities, I would say that they should not get one (no matter how small).
Most of the money in modeling and acting is in the second category of work
My humble opinion
J.urdaneta
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PrimeJive Visit PrimeJive's homepage! Find More Posts by PrimeJive

Old 09-07-2005, 02:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45179
Send a message via ICQ to Nikonace Send a message via Yahoo to Nikonace

Nikonace is offline IP: 216.49.249.111

I've been wondering the same kind of thing about the models and their tats for a long time. If someone knows they want to model, why get the tat in the first place? I know I can just ps it out, but I would take the model without one in the first place before I'd take the one with the tat. In my very humble opinion, they seem to be a distraction from the photo itself. I guess I never jumped on the bandwagon and got one. I suppose they were something so you could be different at some point, but I'm starting to wonder if the people without them aren't the different ones anymore. I would also like to hear other opinions on this matter. This is just my 2 cents. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Nikonace Find More Posts by Nikonace

Old 09-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 66.121.188.226

I agree, I shot a Model the other day (from Santa Monica) that has No Tat's and No Piercings!

Seems like most every girl thinks she needs that to be different...(lol)

(this wasn't her)

View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 09-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 44943

Kori_Rae is offline IP: 66.12.67.238

You know I really dont know the answer to that, but I can say I have one on my ankle and cant wait to get it removed. That had to have been one of the stupidest things I have ever done.....Should of listened to my parents [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Kori_Rae Find More Posts by Kori_Rae