Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Back from Louisianna, Mississippi..
Old 09-07-2005, 12:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 24.174.129.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi everyone. I'm back from making back to back trips to the Mississippi area and Lousianna to help out family--one week since I've been on line and I miss this family entirely while helping out my own blood family.

For those wanting to know, all the family is fine, exhausted, but fine. My brother, his wife, son and cats are now living with us, their home was in Mandeville, the north shore area of Lake Ponchitrain. Their house for the most part was spared, their neighbors were not so lucky with 100 foot trees spliting their homes, cars and boats in half. He has 19 employees which we helped while there, some were not so lucky and lost their homes in Gulf Port and Slidell.

We took them gas, water, food, generators, etc., there still is no electric, water is contiminated too. We ran three chain saws there too, climbing roofs to cut trees, hauling logs, trash bags of trash, etc. and we even took our 12-guage just in case. The stench from rotten food in refrigerators and freezers made it smell like a war zone, in fact it reminded me when I covered the thousands of people dying each day of Cholera in Goma, Zaire during the Rwanda refugee crisis.

I made two separate trips with my assistant Rick Gutierrez to the Katrina ravaged areas of Mississippi and Louisiana to help out my in-laws and my brother’s family and while I felt deep feelings for their own pain and sacrifices, the aftermath of Katrina reminded me of a combat zone filled with devastation, deprivation and destruction. I thought for a minute I was dreaming about one of the other 39 countries I’ve visited during my photojournalism career, nope, it was indeed the good ole USA—unbelievable.

For those emailing and PM'ing me, please be patient, I'm exhausted and sore like you wouldn't believe (someone pass me a shot of Crown Reserve) (grin), and I haven't seen my own kids for a week, bear with me, I will answer your emails as they are in a pile of about 700 so far that I've barely looked at, plus I have another family living with us for now, so I'm trying to accommodate everyone.

I ask one thing from everyone here on GG, contribute to the Red Cross or some legit organization out there, even if it's one day of helping out physically at a shelter or sending in at least $5, don't be fooled by the millions already raised, it's going to take more than that, and besides, how can you put a price on life for those that weren't so lucky that may have left behind children that relied on them for school, food, etc.--please find it in your hearts to give something of value directly to legit organizations.

Thanks, more to do, more later, as I'm super swamped and the chainsaw sawdust is still trying to make it's way out my tear ducts. Thanks to all on GG that sent their private and public notes of support. While I didn't go to these areas to shoot pics, I took a handful and I share a few with you, these are only a few as again, this was not my assignment, nor my mission, my family and my brother's employees and friends were my mission, thanks, rg sends!
(These shots are nothing compared to other worse areas....)

View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Back from Louisianna, Mississippi..
Old 09-07-2005, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45260
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to BGPhoto

BGPhoto is offline IP: 64.207.15.254

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Thanks for the time and effort that you put in!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BGPhoto Visit BGPhoto's homepage! Find More Posts by BGPhoto

Old 09-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37058

ronmark is offline IP: 205.161.215.26

Will do.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ronmark Find More Posts by ronmark

Old 09-07-2005, 02:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 66.121.188.226

wow, I'm speechless
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 09-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 44943

Kori_Rae is offline IP: 66.12.67.238

Rolando, Im so glad to hear your family is okay and you are back safely.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Kori_Rae Find More Posts by Kori_Rae

Old 09-07-2005, 03:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38285
Send a message via AIM to Gunslinger101

Gunslinger101 is offline IP: 66.245.36.247

Salute to you, sir. You are a man with integrity and strength. I guess that Army time pays off everyday. Ain't it cool being a good person? Rick, too, say hi to him for me.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gunslinger101 Find More Posts by Gunslinger101

Old 09-08-2005, 07:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

Thanks, and thanks for being a part of the GG community and family, rg sends!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 09-08-2005, 07:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

No need to be speechless, let your representatives know how dissatisfied you were with our country's inability to react quickly to or own people and that they need to remove FEMA from the Dept. of Homeland Security. Thanks, rg sends!

Old 09-08-2005, 07:21 AM   #9 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

Thanks. We're still not out of the woods yet, but having the family safe was a big blessing. Thanks for being a part of the GG community and family, rg sends!

Old 09-08-2005, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

My Mood:

Thanks and I drop my salute back to you. It's always great to help people, even when not directly related, but it's even greater to help people your family cares about as in my brother's case with his employees.

I will also say my Army training did payoff too, as in the Army we're trained to think mind over matter and let me tell you, when you have to clean out rotten food, ugh, mind over matter does matter. (Grin) On a side note, I was armed, based on all the looting we saw, you just never know. Thanks again and thanks for being a part of the GG community and family, rg sends!