Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Left or right... any cross-dominant shooters?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.77.110.148

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I suppose most people shoot with their dominant eye, and I am going to make a huge leap across the valley of unsupported conclusions and presume that if you are right handed, you are probably right-eyed. Another unsupported presumption follows: if you are left handed, your left eye is dominant, and you probably shoot left eyed...

Anyway, because of recent cataract surgery and the ensuing need to get new glasses which will coat a fortune and take forever to get made (well, at least two weeks...) I wound up trying to shoot left-eyed last week.

It was a pain in the butt.

First, I cannot get the camera viewfinder to align with my left eye. And even when I do manage it, my nose is pressing on the focus area selector wheel and changing the focus area position all the time.

Most of the time I am shooting vertical format, with my right hand high.

Frankly, it doesn't work too well.

So lefties, how do you shoot. Do you turn the camera over so the shutter is on the bottom? Those of you with S3's can save me the trouble of hating you by not responding that you just use the vertical grip shutter release. Even then, how do you keep the focus selector in place without locking it?

Are there any cross-dominant shooters who shoot "wrong eyed" because you want to and not because you have to?

The world discriminates against lefties... I feel for you, but at least most toilet flush handles are on the left side (I said toilet... not urinal...) or is that just the middle eastern influence slipping in. Right hand for eating, left hand for... whatever.

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: Left or right... any cross-dominant shooters?
Old 09-06-2005, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37789

Allen_P is offline IP: 68.1.70.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Al,

I'm right handed but am "left eyed" (cross dominant). I wear a pirate's patch on my right eye...lol..j/k. I've never had a problem shooting like that, in fact, it would be a real pain to shoot with my right eye. I don't keep my face directly pressed against the camera. I have my chin turned slightly to the right. Wow, ya know I never thought of how I did this until you made this post.

BTW, being right or left handed does not necessarily have that much to do with which eye is dominant. Well, okay, maybe that's not true.. anyway... There's a simple test to determine one's dominant eye, if you're interested?

Allen

View Public Profile Send a private message to Allen_P Find More Posts by Allen_P

Old 09-06-2005, 10:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42326

DeanP is offline IP: 67.161.141.163

As a Lefthander, I tun the camera around on the tripod, as most heads tilt to the left, by tuning it on the base, it now tilts to the right so your nose is on the outside of the camera. Shutter is on the bottom and generally fired with the index finger. A bit awkward, but it works. It would be great if they made a camera with the controls set up for a southpaw.
Looing for a cable realease to make firing a bit easier but the controls are still set up for a righthanded person.

I tried shooting like a righthanded person, and just doesnt feel right. Looks like a monkey trying to do a math problem [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I have a coffee cup areound somewhere that says: All people are born right handed... but only the greatest overcome it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DeanP Find More Posts by DeanP

that would be me
Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

altho i am right-handed and my right-eye *was* my dominant eye, i shoot with my left eye as well.

an inoperable cataract (caused by a trauma to the eye when i was young) left me completely blind in my right eye for about ten years. i quickly learned to shoot with my left eye, altho it took a little getting used to. i make much of my living shooting video cameras, btw, and the eyepieces on most pro vidcams are not designed for left-eye shooting.

about three years ago, medical technology caught up with blind eye and a succesful surgery, along with an artificial lens implant, restored sight to my right eye.

but i've not gone back to being a right-eyed shooter for a couple of reasons: first, i'm completely accustomed to using my left eye. next, my restored right eye has a bluish tint to it that kind of bothers me when my left eye is closed and i'm using only the right. third, i still have trouble focusing with the right eye, even tho my vision in it is pretty good. the lens they implanted is for close-up focusing and while that would seem to be a good thing for using the eye to look thru an eyepiece, i still have trouble with it.

when shooting in portrait aspect ratio with my left eye i sometimes get the eye off-center and it makes it difficult. it's more of an annoyance than a hindrance. i shoot with canon cameras and i hold the camera so that i turn it to the left with my right hand above and finger on the shutter. it's way too awkward to do it the other way around. and yes, my nose seems to press against the camera in a distracting way.

keep at it, tho. i'm sure you'll become accustomed to it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-06-2005, 11:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39377

photopro34 is offline IP: 68.51.166.156

Al,

Let me take this one step further. I am a forensic student and we actually did a study on this. Not only do people have a genarally dominant eye...but they also have a dominant for nearsitedness vs farsitedness. if you take your hands and make a "square" out of your thumbs and first fingers (fingers 5 and 7 if anyone has studied fingerprints), focus that square on an object (start with something a couple feet away) and sloowwwlly bring the "frame" towards your face...dont loose sight of the object..your "frame" will naturally progress to the eye that is dominant. Same with things in the far distance. I have found that while I am right handed..my left eye is closeup dominant, while my right eye is distance dominant. Which futher compounds the problem when you are shooting with a telephoto lens because while a subject may be far away...they can apear close when you zoom in...lol. Hope this is of some sort of use.

Ciao
Michael
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photopro34 Find More Posts by photopro34

Put me in the........
Old 09-07-2005, 12:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35281
My Mood:

Mitch is offline IP: 67.101.82.30

right handed, left dominant eye column. No injuries or anything that caused it....it just feels a whole lot better that way.......maybe I'm just all mixed up....I swing my golf club right handed, but I'm a natural lefty when it comes to hitting a baseball [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
I never tried to figure it out.....its just feels right (or left) that way!

Mitch
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mitch Visit Mitch's homepage! Find More Posts by Mitch

Old 09-07-2005, 01:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.49.128.240

Left-eyed and left-handed. With 35mm and 645 I've always preferred supporting the camera and focusing with my left hand. I shoot right-hand high and haven't had any problems with camera operation. But then I chose my camera bodies based upon how naturally they handled to me. Sometimes when I'm in a creative funk I will shoot with my right eye because it forces me to slow down and think about what I'm doing (Kind of like breathing out of your eyelids [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ).

-Chip
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChipBulgin Find More Posts by ChipBulgin

Old 09-07-2005, 06:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 216.65.162.124

I am right handed and shoot left eyed and always have. Camera's and rifles. I always aim with the left eye.

Scott
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 09-07-2005, 09:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36424

semarch is offline IP: 32.97.110.142

Wow! Just makes me feel more screwed up.
I'm a natural leftie when it comes to writing.
I shoot right eyed and right hand on shutter release. Aim rifles left eyed, aim pistols right eyed. Play golf right handed. Playing baseball is really screwed up. Bat right, throw right and want to catch right. Seems strange to catch left instead of right.
The eye and hand work seems more natural that way even though I can do most things with the exception of writing with both hands equally well.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to semarch Find More Posts by semarch

Old 09-07-2005, 11:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 67.121.104.63

Right-handed and left-eyed!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD