Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Where does technique end and emotion begin?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35629
Comments: 0

grsphoto is offline IP: 70.51.147.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I like this image.

When I look at it critically, here are some serious flaws with it technically, but the feel of it appeals to me.

When we are working on and selecting images, which should win out, technical or emotional aspects? It is easy to judge the technical aspects ( the rules) but how to decide if the "feel" of the image is universal or personal?

grs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to grsphoto Visit grsphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by grsphoto

Re: Where does technique end and emotion begin?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My constant frustration!!
cant wait to see some answers!

Don.

Old 09-05-2005, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35629

grsphoto is offline IP: 70.51.147.45

I am not sure if you will see much in the way of a response to this thread. It is easy to talk about rules of thirds, cutting off bodyparts, but difficult to talk about how an image makes you feel.

grs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to grsphoto Visit grsphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by grsphoto

Old 09-05-2005, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 216.65.162.10

Heck...thats an easy one to answer.... When the impact or feeling derived from viewing the image out weighs the technical flaws. Personally I think this shot is a fine example of that. Yes I see some flaws in it and I see one thing that I would call a personal preference that I would like to see changed but even with all of that the images works for me. Great job by all involved in this shot.

Scott

View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 09-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

When you get into Impact and emotion it gets really subjective...what one does for one..my not do for another....heck Ive seen family snapshots that had nothing to do with technicals,great lighting or blah blah blah...but the content had impact and emotion in them.....

So its all very subjective...

Well DUH!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

All art is subjective...Even if the image is perfect from a technical standpoint it can still be a bad image. The fact that everyone sees things different is a given in this and any other "art" We generally critique an image based on the technical merits because the rest is so subjective. What I like in an image you dont and so on... The question was when does it work even with technical flaws. The answer is easy as I have already said. There is only one question you need to ask...Do the positives in the image outweigh the negatives?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Re: Well RE- DUH!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
Do the positives in the image outweigh the negatives?

[/ QUOTE ]

even more simple...does it stir emotion with yourself..besides positives or negatives!!

Re: Well RE- DUH!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

That is exactly what I said.....

Great questions
Old 09-05-2005, 12:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

i just got up so, as usual, my brain's fuzzy. but these are really good questions!

for me, "feel" will always win out over technical issues. i see so many images that are practicaly void of any "feel" at all. they're nothing but technical exercises in textbook, sterile photography. and often, while these images are nearly technically perfect, they fail to "speak" to the viewer at all. example: the image i shot of kori rae that she's using in the model contest. it has a number of technical flaws: the light coming from the side and hitting her hair is too blown out (should have been scrimmed), her right arm is behind her and hidden (she was doing a balancing act on the ledge), and she's wearing shoes that simply don't work. but the overall feel of that image speaks to people in a positive and artistic way. that's not to say the image doesn't have technical merits, it does, but, fortunately, the feel of it overcomes the technical flaws. of course, if the technical flaws are simply way too obvious and plentiful, it's going to be hard for "feel" to overcome them.

your second question is more difficult. the great philosopher Yogi Berra said, "Nobody knows nothing." and that axiom often applies to things like whether or not something has universal appeal in addition to personal appeal. i suppose we're all stuck with our personal aesthetics and we can only hope--when we're doing things that we hope have appeal to others--that our personal aesthetics are something more than uniquely individual and personal. certainly, we're influenced by the aesthetics of others,especially when the work of others has garnered universal appeal. so i suppose we can only hope that whatever it is that makes an image appealing to ourselves will also appeal to others. but there's no guarantee that's going to happen. i guess, sooner or later, we develop a style and an approach that is influenced by our previous work and how that work appealed to others in a more universal way. and that's the style we end up integrating into our work. and if its unique, yet still universal in its appeal, it will make us stand out and be noticed.

View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Well RE- RE- DUH!!!
Old 09-05-2005, 12:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

[ QUOTE ]
That is exactly what I said.....

[/ QUOTE ]

NUH UH!!!