Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
dialated pupils
Old 09-05-2005, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402
Comments: 0

timxdrama is offline IP: 63.205.14.86

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

i was just remembering a RANDOM thing a teacher once told our class (NOT photo related) that women would sniff a certain plaint which would dialate their pupils because it was more attractive. it was sort of seen as sowing interest because it looked like they were wide eyed i guess...

well i was wondering.. with setups like the 4 light bar shoot through 'box' (ive seen a few of them on here) it would make a model's pupils become very small because of the constant direct light.

does this make sense to anyone? and despite the fact they'd be smaller do you think it looks OK? i think it may even look better because you see more of a model's iris color and character.

moral of the story... im thinkin about building one of those setups! what shutter speed does it allow shooting at with an aperture 3.5?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

Re: dialated pupils
Old 09-05-2005, 07:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40376

Acephoto is offline IP: 68.217.129.249

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

sounds like a personal preference your teacher had for dilated pupils. I would much rather see the iris for more color and think most people would find it more flattering as well.

Ace
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Acephoto Find More Posts by Acephoto

Old 09-05-2005, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
King of Useless Facts

Member GG#: 35691
Send a message via AIM to StMarc

StMarc is offline IP: 169.207.244.175

Dilated pupils is a sign of sexual arousal, which makes people's faces look more interesting to other people. There is an herb, Atropa belladonna, also known as Belladonna or Deadly Nightshade, which can be used to make drops that will instantly dilate the pupils. It was used for cosmetic purposes for a long time. I don't know about "sniffing" it.

M
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StMarc Visit StMarc's homepage! Find More Posts by StMarc

Old 09-05-2005, 08:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39402

timxdrama is offline IP: 63.205.14.86

[ QUOTE ]
Dilated pupils is a sign of sexual arousal, which makes people's faces look more interesting to other people. There is an herb, Atropa belladonna, also known as Belladonna or Deadly Nightshade, which can be used to make drops that will instantly dilate the pupils. It was used for cosmetic purposes for a long time. I don't know about "sniffing" it.

M

[/ QUOTE ]

thats it! i think she reffered to it as belladonna. it was when we were reading romeo and juliet (probably 4th grade so it was a long time ago).

and no, dont ask me how my mind wandered to that.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to timxdrama Find More Posts by timxdrama

do a google. . .
Old 09-05-2005, 11:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.177.23.11

on pupilometrics. Just after WWII there was a bit of science done on this subject.
I have commented on this and other aspects of "body language" that I feel affect the "sensuality" feel of an image. I've received little feed back either because the folks on this board know little about or because they feel I don't know what I'm talking about. (Which might be the case). Body language is a tricky thing but I'm convinced that the really good models have a sense of sexual/sensual presentation that lifts them above the wannabes. Whether it's learned or just natural I have no idea but it's there. I also believe that too few photographers are aware of this aspect of glamour photography.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Old 09-05-2005, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.45.209.149

Interesting.....I know everyone's pupil reacts differently to light and dilation or contraction is attributed to the intensity of light. I would have a hard time believing that an iris would dilate in a bright environment sniffing the plant. If it did, it would have to be illegal. ;-)

Most don't understand that a model can close her eyes to have the iris dilate to desired effect when modeling lights and natural light constrict them. Most use the technique for sensitive eyes and to reduce the squint but I use the technique more to proper manage the desired iris size right before I take the images.

You can have to large of an iris that bugs you out and then you can lose it all to have ghostly eyes.

I don't need no stinking plant to adjust this or to get those eyes in the mood.....lol

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 09-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

[ QUOTE ]
I would have a hard time believing that an iris would dilate in a bright environment sniffing the plant. If it did, it would have to be illegal. ;

[/ QUOTE ]

JT...I think Jimmy would concure that the plant has to be smoked!!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 09-05-2005, 03:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35776

PTROTTER is offline IP: 68.88.26.188

Dialated pupils occur when you look at something you like

Some people will wear dak lenses to prevent someone they are barganing with
fromm telling they like the object being barganined over.

resturants use low light levels to induce the response in reverse
the idea is pavlovian in nature.

Also some shrinks somewhere retouched photgraphs and asked people to saw which
were better shots - the ones retouched to have dialated pupils were rated
as more handsome/beautiful - the idea is that the dialed appeared to be more interested in the viewer.

prettiest girls tend to be the ones interested in ME

View Public Profile Send a private message to PTROTTER Visit PTROTTER's homepage! Find More Posts by PTROTTER