Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Sucks to be me...
Old 09-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.233.56.203

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I ask that if you reply to this post after reading, please don't bombard me with the "what a dumbarse" statements...I already am aware of that...TOO AWARE.. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I left Houston on Wednesday for the San Antonio area. Thursday was opening day of dove season and me and some buddies were meeting for a 2 day hunting trip. After the hunt, I was headed west into the Texas Hill country to spend another 3 or 4 days at my land in Junction Texas. After checking in at the hotel, we decided to grab a bite to eat and chose a Cracker Barrel restauraunt a few minutes from the hotel. When we arrived, my main focus was the 2 brand spanking new Kawasaki 4 wheelers trailored behind my truck. I took extra care to chain the bikes together and the trailer to the truck frame to prevent theft and allow me to eat in peace for 30 minutes.

After ordering, I checked on the truck twice while inside...I simply walked outside and viewed the truck to make sure no one messed with it.

Here is where the DUMBASS kicks in...I completely forgot I had ALL...thats right sports fans...EVERY PIECE of photography equipment I own...ALL equipment inside my truck. In the blink of an eye, it was gone. Thieves broke into the truck...left everything else...7 guns, CD's, clothes, ammo...but found my camera bag and split.

Obviously a HUGE oversight on my part and I am beyond sickened as we speak.My focus was on the bikes and not what was inside the truck.

I make this post NOT to feel sorry for me OR to call out the "What a dumbass" critiques...but simply to say be careful. When in Houston and I have my equipment with me, if I so much ran inside a store for 5 minutes, I would carry my bag to prevent theft. The ONE time I dropped my guard, it was stolen...

So, just a note to not get complacent, cuz it SUCKS to be me right now. I AM insured and all will be OK, but its just a pain in the behind and just a sickening feeling to lose 5 to 6k worth of stuff (and I am sure that is a SMALL amount compared to some of you pros)in an instant...

So, Jason if you are reading this...I need to order about 6k worth of equipment TOMORROW...I hope you are in a "bargaining" mood... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Re: Sucks to be me...
Old 09-03-2005, 10:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Bobby,

No dumbass to it, could happen to any one of us anywhere.

I feel for you dude, hope the new gear gets there quick.

Shannon
  View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Oh man!
Old 09-03-2005, 10:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

that SO sucks!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-03-2005, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573
Comments: 1

FrankParis is offline IP: 68.212.76.190

Been there done that 2 years ago! It does make you stay on guard for a long time till it happens again, July 5th, My laptop and backup digital camera. Still waiting on the insuance co.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FrankParis Find More Posts by FrankParis

Silver lining ?
Old 09-03-2005, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39809

RSavage is offline IP: 68.7.241.19

I always hate the clowns that try to feed you the 'silver lining' stuff, but ...

At least they didn't take the 7 guns....it's pretty unlikely that they can hurt anyone else too badly with your camera gear...although I'd probably be in trouble if I were armed and saw some SOB with my bag [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

I always feel like a paranoid fool, but I am TOTALLY anal when I have anything of value in the car...heck, I'm the same way at the house. I know if they want it, they will get it, but I try VERY hard not to make it any easier for them than absolutely necessary.

Feeling your pain and hoping you get it sorted out with a minimum of drama.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSavage Find More Posts by RSavage

Ouch!
Old 09-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35783
Comments: 7
My Mood:

stevenD is offline IP: 71.105.31.187

that does suck,

wonder why they did not take the guns?

wimps!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to stevenD Visit stevenD's homepage! Find More Posts by stevenD

Old 09-03-2005, 11:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37789

Allen_P is offline IP: 68.1.70.45

Look at it on the bright side....at least they didn't take your guns. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Perhaps this photo will cheer you up:

Best,

Allen

View Public Profile Send a private message to Allen_P Find More Posts by Allen_P

Old 09-04-2005, 12:40 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38049

Michael_G is offline IP: 67.181.26.124

Bobby, That sucks so bad I can't even begin to think how you feel. I'm para about leaving my bag in my truck, too. Reminds me of a story from Art Wolfe, the nature and wildlife photographer. I asked why he was shooting Canon in his last video and Nikon in the first. I was told that he'd stopped in San Francisco for dinner on the way back from one of his epic shooting trips and left his gear in his van. When he came out it was gone. Worst thing was they also offed his 1,000 or so rolls of film from the trip. SFPD was called and when nobody was reported injured asked him to file a stolen property claim. He did, and when they got to the value of the property he told them around a million dollars. This figured in stock sales, books, calendars, posters etc. They asked why he didn't tell them that before and he told them nobody seemed to be interested. Then they got interested. Of course, nothing was recovered, the film was probably ditched somewhere as being of no value.

Anyway, Canon got wind (and I'm sure Nikon did, too) and were first to step up to the plate with new gear and glass for him to shoot with. that's why you see him shooting Canon now and Nikon earlier. So, as $hitty as you feel right now, gear can be replaced, the images you get on your trip cannot.

Hope it works out for you. Best of luck.

MG
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Michael_G Visit Michael_G's homepage! Find More Posts by Michael_G

Old 09-04-2005, 06:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38438
My Mood:

girlfair is offline IP: 69.40.217.129

BUMMING FOR YOU RIGHT NOW! I worry about that a lot, and like you, usually grab my equipment bag before I leave my vehicle. I'm pretty religious about it, and have only forgotten once or twice, and when I have, always get that "sinking" feeling and run right back to it. So far, I've been lucky. Insured or not, MAN that sucks!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to girlfair Visit girlfair's homepage! Find More Posts by girlfair

Sorry to hear this...............
Old 09-04-2005, 07:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35303

mphunt is offline IP: 24.8.24.190

........hope things work out well with the insurance company.

And you will have new equipment soon.

-mp
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mphunt Visit mphunt's homepage! Find More Posts by mphunt