Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Makeup dilemma
Old 09-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 68.18.216.248

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quick question about makeup. I'm having a hard time getting a hold of my makeup artist I was wanting to use for tomorrow's shoot (her voicemail box is full -- I can't leave her any messages), and I have a feeling that the other girl I had on standby may not be available when I need her to be tomorrow, either. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] I don't think the model has much practice in doing makeup for photos. Are there any tips you could give me about makeup for photos to pass along to her, in case she ends up having to do the makeup herself? We're wanting to do both a fairly neutral look and a more glammed-up look.

Thank you!!

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Re: Makeup dilemma
Old 09-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39735
Comments: 0

shannon_fontaine is offline IP: 68.52.169.40

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey Sam,

Go light. You can always accent in PS but in my experiece most amateur models, especially younger ones, go WAY too heavy on the makeup when shooting because they think that's what models do.

The obvious exception is if you're going for a vibe that needs a lot of makeup, even then pro MUA's tend to get things smoother than most models or the dreaded 'friend who's good with makeup'.

End of the day it's a lot easier to add than it is to subtract when it comes to makeup and --handy personal experience hint- don't forget to do different looks with her hair, too.

Good luck on the shoot,

Shannon
  View Public Profile Send a private message to shannon_fontaine Visit shannon_fontaine's homepage! Find More Posts by shannon_fontaine

Old 09-02-2005, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Hey Shannon, thanks for the reply. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'm glad you told me, 'cause what you're saying is actually the opposite of what I was originally thinking. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] I've always thought that with makeup for photos you had to go heavier than normal (most of the time) to get it to even show up on film. But I do see what you're saying about it being easier to add than subtract.

Hopefully we'll be able to work with the hair too. The backup makeup girl was also going to do the hair -- she's a hairdresser (if the original MUA was gonna show up, I was gonna have her only do hair), so unless I can get a hold of her, we may hafta wing it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Thanks man, hopefully I'll have a few good ones to post here next week. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 09-02-2005, 12:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

Member GG#: 38071

Brattitude is offline IP: 66.151.166.5

Shooting color photos requires different make-up techniques than B&W photos typically do, but not necessarily requiring heavier application. I recommend getting some make-up books, which are not only helpful for models, but conveying to a make-up artist what look you are looking for.

My favorite books are by Kevyn Aucoin, who gives directions on what colors to use and how to apply them.

Toni

View Public Profile Send a private message to Brattitude Find More Posts by Brattitude

Old 09-02-2005, 01:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Thanks for that Toni. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I'll hafta look into those books. It'd be nice to have something to reference besides pictures out of magazine. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

On a side note, I was actually thinking of taking a makeup class or two sometime. I know they offer some every once in a while at U of Memphis in the Continuing Education department. I'm taking a little fashion and glamour workshop class there this October through Con Ed, which oughtta be pretty cool. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Sam

P.S.: I forgot to say, that's a really cool image, and I LOVE your hair in it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 09-02-2005, 02:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

Member GG#: 38071

Brattitude is offline IP: 66.151.166.5

[ QUOTE ]
P.S.: I forgot to say, that's a really cool image, and I LOVE your hair in it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, hair and make-up were both done by me (same is true with all of my photos)

Toni
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Brattitude Find More Posts by Brattitude

Read This:
Old 09-02-2005, 03:10 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 66.87.28.80

http://member.onemodelplace.com/news...r_article6.cfm
I tend to disagree with Shannon if you are shooting under high powered strobes. The truth is that these lights will blast right through light makeup as if it wasn't there. If you are satisfied with a lot of clean up in Photoshop (and are competent in PS) then have at it. This is not so true under existing light where light make will do to some extent. Having said that there MUAs and then there are muas the difference being one understands the needs of the photographer and the other figures street makeup will do.

BUY!!!
Making Faces by Kevyn Aucoin
AND
How to Wow Photoshop for Photographers by Davis and Willmore
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Basic make up
Old 09-02-2005, 05:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44569

mua_FAYTHE is offline IP: 64.200.125.27

Well, I have a view suggestion.

First of all you should remind the model to ALWAYS cleans and put a moisturizer on before she puts foundation on. This stips the face of oils and dirt that are on the surface pores of the skin. Even is she or he washed their face that morning before arriving, it is very important that the cleans and moisturize dirctly before applying makeup. If this is done then the foundation can be blended smoothly into the top pores of the face without mixing with oils a dirt creating blotchy skin.

The application of quanity of make up depends on several different factors
1. The skin of the model
2. The lighting ( High Key, low key, outdoors, etc)
3. Black and white
4. The final image

After cleansing and moisturizing the skin use a foundation ( preferably a stick foundation because it is most versatile to skin types) that is the exact same shade as her neck and chest ( Yes, I am telling you NOT to match it to the face) [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] If you do not match the shade to the rest of the body skin it will not blend into the neck and chest and you will have a make up line or as I call it " make up mask effect"

Try to stick to the basics
Use a transulant powder
Black mascara
peach or pink peach blush ( if any)
Lipliner one shade darker than lips
Lipstick same shade as lips.

I hope that this helps you.

I am considering starting a news letter for the models that I work for with make up/hair/ skin tips and since I already have a make up sponsor also holding some workshops for models to learn basic make up and hair skills. Considering that most spokes model and promotional work does not provide a make up artist. Do you think this would be a good idea????????????

View Public Profile Send a private message to mua_FAYTHE Visit mua_FAYTHE's homepage! Find More Posts by mua_FAYTHE

Re: Read This:
Old 09-03-2005, 07:09 AM   #9 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Hey thanks for sending that link my way. Lucky for me I got a hold of my MUA at the last minute, and she'll be doing the makeup for today (thank goodness! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). But it's definitely nice to know for the future. But no, I much prefer to do as little cleanup as possible. I always tell myself, I'd like the image to be to where I could print it straight from the negative / chrome if I wanted to ('course, with my abilities as of now, that's next to impossible. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). I'll be sure to check out those books, too.

Thanks again!

Sam

Re: Basic make up
Old 09-03-2005, 07:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think this would be a good idea????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

YES!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Only suggestion I could make is that you make it available to not just models, but wannabe photographers who don't know the first thing about makeup, too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Thank you so much for sending that info. I was lucky this time -- I did get a hold of my MUA at the last minute, but next time I may not be so lucky! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This is only my second shoot with a pro model (third "real" shoot), and I'm learning more and more that good makeup (or lack thereof) can make or break a photo.

Thanks Faythe!

Sam