Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Flattering or UNFlattering...that is the question
Old 08-30-2005, 09:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 24.233.56.203

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Scott Story started a thread a few days back with images of a "Plus Sized" model. I personally thought he did a remarkable job, because IF she was a plus size, it sure wasn't evident in the images...Kudos to Scott...

The thread got me to thinking about models that I have worked with...not so much "plus size"..., but those that aren't the typical 5'7" 115lbs that we see all over the net.

So many times in our critiques we say and hear, " that pose is not flattering"...or "turn her slightly to the right or left, it will be more flattering to her"...Many times these observations are right on...on critiques I have made AND received...

My point or question is this...When I work with the models with some "meat on the bones", I am always looking to find the most flattering pose, positions and lighting to "flatter" her rather than the alternative. Many times though, the image to a 3rd party may seem UNflattering when displayed, however, the viewer doesn't get the visual of seeing the subject in person...

Case in point...The model below is NOT a plus size model...BUT she also isn't 5'7'' and 115 lbs either. During the session, I did my best to pick and choose lighting, angles and poses that best represented her in the images. Now, some may say these are not flattering to her...and if that is the overall opinion, then I have homework to do...I on the other hand (having seen her in person IN 3 dimensions) think they represent her very well...BUT is it because I am biased having seen her in person OR am I smoking my shoelaces??

Looking for opinions and comments if you please...

This post is in NO way mean't to demean the model. She is a lovely lady with an excellent work ethic...

View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Re: Flattering or UNFlattering...that is the question
Old 08-30-2005, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42373
Send a message via Yahoo to jackell

jackell is offline IP: 65.15.168.67

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Only one thing to say here...

DAMN!

I think Maybe in the last onethe light is a little harsh on her face but I'm really liking the rest.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jackell Visit jackell's homepage! Find More Posts by jackell

Old 08-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.67.28

She looks fine in all of them, however some tweaking could be done with the poses and lighting. In no way does she look plus sized. I'm seeing shadows that are pretty harsh on her face in #2 and #4. The pose in #4 isn't unflattering, but just not exciting. It looks like she is resting instead of posing, and doing something else with her hands and arching her back would make it more dramatic.

The first and #3...well you PATD on those.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Old 08-30-2005, 10:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Bobby,

I like these photos. I think she's gorgeous in every single one. If she's a little on the healthy side, you really can't see it here.

The only thing I would have done differently is to have her drop her right shoulder a little bit in that second image. I find that it helps to show a little more of the neck which thins out the model.

Something you didn't do here is pose her with hips straight on. And that's a good thing. Turning them slightly to the right or left always helps slim the hips. I also try to keep her weight on the hip furthest away from the camera. Whatever is closest to the camera is what looks largest.

Leigh Ann here is a girl with mean on her bones. Very pretty, but not 5' 7" and 115 lbs. I tried to show as much of her torso as possible and still thin her out some.

Of course when all else fails, just crop out the parts you're worried about.

I hope this helps.

Mike

MUA on both shots Mary Frantz.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike

Old 08-30-2005, 10:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42634
My Mood:

MannyR is offline IP: 24.218.237.127

I had the same thought that Jackell did. DAMN!

I think that the fourth image does need a little bit more fill on her face, but other than that I'd say you did flatter her!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MannyR Visit MannyR's homepage! Find More Posts by MannyR

one real question
Old 08-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 66.109.230.128

who is the client?

if she paid for the images and is happy with them...then you have a happy client.

if you paid for her time, and you are happy with them, then all is well.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 08-30-2005, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35323
Send a message via Yahoo to seekerofbeauty

seekerofbeauty is offline IP: 67.9.20.61

She is a lovely lady, indeed, and you did a great job showing that. Thanks for sharing.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to seekerofbeauty Find More Posts by seekerofbeauty

Old 08-30-2005, 11:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35323
Send a message via Yahoo to seekerofbeauty

seekerofbeauty is offline IP: 67.9.20.61

[ QUOTE ]
Leigh Ann here is a girl with mean on her bones

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just curious if your typo was Freudian! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Cool shots.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to seekerofbeauty Find More Posts by seekerofbeauty

Old 08-30-2005, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Bad Girl

Member GG#: 38071

Brattitude is offline IP: 66.151.166.5

These poses are flattering to her. As a girl who is quite "hippy", I never pose squared to the camera (always turned to the right or left a bit).

Toni

View Public Profile Send a private message to Brattitude Find More Posts by Brattitude

Old 08-30-2005, 11:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
Biker by the Grace of God

Member GG#: 35237

dynamike is offline IP: 69.21.92.10

Damn, those keys are nowhere near each other! Yeah, I meant meat. She's a sweet girl and I don't even know if she has a mean bone in her body!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dynamike Visit dynamike's homepage! Find More Posts by dynamike