Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Rolando! You got some \'splaining to do!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

in the image you posted in your port today, you said you green gell'd your ringflash and magenta gell'd your lens. i don't get that. it would seem to me that they would simply cancel each other out. magenta (while not being a primary color) has no green in it whatsoever. green (a primary color) has no magenta. they do not cross over to each other in color profiles like RGB or CMYK. so it seems to me, one cancels out the other regardless of whether you're using an RGB color model or a CMYK color model.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Rolando! You got some \'splaining to do!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39809
Comments: 0

RSavage is offline IP: 68.7.241.19

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Jimmy,

Think about gelled flash falling on the foreground and not on the background...you are on the mark with the cancelling thing, but you forgot about the part of the image that is ambient...or whatever the heck that background is [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSavage Find More Posts by RSavage

ok Lucy...
Old 08-29-2005, 01:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamourô

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 209.251.93.154

Letz me splain...

On the photo you're referring too, yes it was shot indoors and the effect I was working on is easier outdoors. Basically what happens is that if you put a green gel on your flash, the light is now green. It hits your subject the strongest, and the light your subject reflects back through the lens is now green tinted.

When you use an exact opposite, not only in color, but in density, like a 30 green and a 30 magenta, the green light off your subject's skin is now cancelled by the magenta filter (gel in this case), but the green light doesn't reflect as strong off your background, thus your background now takes on a deeper magenta cast.

In the case of this image,
it's harder to see, but it saturates your background with magenta or a tint of magenta.

When you do this outdoors, the green light doesn't hit the clouds and come back, it dissapates, however the clouds and sky now have to pass through the magenta gel thus they get a tint or saturation of magenta in the final image...it's a technique I'll demonstrate this Oct. in NYC at Photo Plus Expo. For more info see my personal website, www.rolandogomez.com.

Well I'm off to bed, tomorrow I fly back to Texas as we wrapped up the latest workshop here in Chicago. A special thanks to Ralph Hasseltine for his support along with his son, the crew, models and attendees....

For the record, we'll be practicing this at the upcoming Virgin Island's workshop in November and the April 2006 workshop at the Virgin Island's next year during Carnival...here's an example of the effect outdoors, enjoy...thanks, rg sends!
(Both images shot with a Hensel Porty Premium and a Hensel Ring Flash. The ring flash has a Rosco Green Gel and the camera lens has a Rosco equivalent density magenta gel...)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Don\'t waste any time do you?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.67.28

I saw the studio image make it into your portfolio last night, and was very impressed. The outdoor image though, is outstanding and has an alien feel with that magenta sky at 1730hrs. You must have had those exposed, processed, edited, and posted before I could even drive home to the suburbs!

Here is one of Dee that I worked on while you were outisde. I've adjusted curves slightly to enhance the effect of the ring flash and soften her skin a bit. Dee is actually only a couple of feet from the ring flash which I shot through, and so the light bulb adds a nice curve for atmosphere, but also serves the utilitarian purpose of eliminating her red eye by reducing her pupil size.

Very nice photographs that you've posted here, and it was a pleasure meeting you. I still have this virgin bottle of Patron that is meant for you, so I'll drop by next time you are in Chicago.

Until next time,
Alan

View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Re: ok Lucy...
Old 08-29-2005, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

okay. so, basically, since green and magenta cancel each other out,there's no effect on the skin tone values as i figured. so why not simply throw some magenta on a BG light or wherever else the green dropoff from you light source is going to take place which produces a magenta tint? i kinda get doing this for an exterior shot with clouds to produce a sunset-like effect, but that could also be produced in post.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: Rolando! You got some \'splaining to do!
Old 08-29-2005, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36687

Sean_Michaels is offline IP: 69.157.105.246

Cokin used to make a series of 4 filters (lens and flash) called Colorback filters that did this same thing. I picked up a set off of E-bay. Unfortunately I've only ever seen them in the A size.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Michaels Find More Posts by Sean_Michaels