Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
To our friends on the Gulf Coast....
Old 08-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512
Comments: 0

Fish is offline IP: 65.11.131.218

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

<CENTER> </CENTER>

Hopefully you have been able to move out of harm's way, as you get through this know that our prayers are with you.

As some people know, I grew up in the far east. Storms of this magnitude (called Typhoons) are more common in the Pacific, but tropical cyclones are trouble no matter what you call them. I made a little fun about this storm as it came through Miami, but Katrina is no longer a temporary incovenience. Our friends in Lousiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and western Florida are in for a rough few days.

John
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish

ditto that
Old 08-28-2005, 02:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

i have the tv on in the background and it ceased being white noise when i perked up to listen to the reporting and warnings re this storm. it's gonna be a doozie!!! take the high ground. better yet, get outa town.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: ditto that
Old 08-28-2005, 02:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35621

Richie is offline IP: 24.144.58.165

My brother lives in Pensacola, FL - Gulf Breeze to be exact. He said he already has storm surge in his back yard. The Pensacola News Journal is reporting Ivan-like storm surge is to be expected. That would put at least 3' of water in my brother's home. He just left the Army with 12 years of service and we moved him to FL back on May 1, 2005. It's been a roller coaster ride ever since. He's fed up and ready to move home to Arkansas now.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Richie Find More Posts by Richie

Thanks Fish...
Old 08-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37789

Allen_P is offline IP: 68.1.70.45

John,

I spent the weekend at my parents house over on the Mississippi gulf coast. Luckily, I got up early this morning and headed back to NW Florida. All I saw on I10 were Louisiana plates...and that's a good thing. I think most everyone in New Orleans got the hell out.

Had I waited later to leave, it could have turned a 2 hour drive into a 6 hour drive. I think it has turned into complete madness all over the LA, MS, and AL gulf coasts. Things are not so bad here in the Panhandle where I'm at, except for the dwindling supply of gas. But, I'm about 40 miles inland...so I have "some" distance from the gulf.

When I was younger I remember my parents and many others telling me about Hurricane Camille that hit back in 1969. Lucky for me, I was not born then, so I missed it. Those that remember it (a cat 5 with over 200mph winds) take hurricanes very seriously.

If this thing makes landfall as a cat 5, one can only imagine the devastation that it will cause [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Anyway, thought I would share that bit of reporting with y'all [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope this SOB weakens before making landfall!

Allen

View Public Profile Send a private message to Allen_P Find More Posts by Allen_P

Re: ditto that
Old 08-28-2005, 02:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 70.34.248.21

they should build houses that act like boats... you know, with a hull underneath. when the water comes up three feet, the house--while moored so it don't float away--floats up three feet. maybe i could patent this? oh, wait, i think they already have things they call houseboats.

seriously, tho, i wish your brother the best. hope it all turns out okay.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Re: To our friends on the Gulf Coast....
Old 08-28-2005, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36702
Comments: 4
Send a message via AIM to dustylenscap

dustylenscap is offline IP: 68.1.29.217

Thanks for the concern, we appreciate it. This storm is too much like Camille and possibly Andrew, this is one bad momma.
here is a link I use to keep up with storms, these boys from Maine got it going on.
http://www.crownweather.com/tropical.html

Dusty

View Public Profile Send a private message to dustylenscap Visit dustylenscap's homepage! Find More Posts by dustylenscap

Re: Thanks Fish...
Old 08-28-2005, 06:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36702
Comments: 4
Send a message via AIM to dustylenscap

dustylenscap is offline IP: 68.1.29.217

Allen, I did remember Camille. This storm is too much like Camille and possibly Andrew, this is one bad momma.
here is a link I use to keep up with storms, these boys from Maine got it going on.
http://www.crownweather.com/tropical.html

Dusty
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dustylenscap Visit dustylenscap's homepage! Find More Posts by dustylenscap

Run And Hide...
Old 08-28-2005, 07:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Resident Evil

Member GG#: 35479

christian is offline IP: 69.84.121.100

Please be safe. I have an awful feeling in my stomach watching this sucker brew.

Avoid stupid people that want to "experience" the storm... run and hide and tell the stories of those stupid people as you pass the cemetery.

Those seeking safe shelter... come on down, we'll make room.

christian
  View Public Profile Send a private message to christian Visit christian's homepage! Find More Posts by christian

Re: Run And Hide...
Old 08-28-2005, 07:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44819

firehawk is offline IP: 68.54.88.249

I've been through a few hurricanes. As long as you stay indoors, they're fun--unless you live right on the beach. HURRICANE PARTY!!! Pensacola is where I'm hoping to move to in about 3 years. As soon as I get my degree-I'm there.

D [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to firehawk Find More Posts by firehawk

Re: Run And Hide...
Old 08-28-2005, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36068
Comments: 1

StuHaluski is offline IP: 24.30.78.25

yeah indoors is real safe if the place doesnt come down on you from the wind and you are not 10-13 feet below sea level when the levee holding it back breaks and lets a possibly 20 foot storm surge come through.

Urgent Weather Message from NWS New Orleans

WWUS74 KLIX 281550NPWLIXURGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA

1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED

HURRICANE KATRINAA MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969. MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. ATLEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED.

CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE. HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT. AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATEADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...

AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK. POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...

BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEWCROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BEKILLED.AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEARHURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE..

.ARECERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTUREOUTSIDE!LAZ038-040-050-056>070-282100-ASSUMPTION-LIVINGSTON-LOWER JEFFERSON-LOWER LAFOURCHE-LOWER PLAQUEMINES-LOWER ST. BERNARD-LOWER TERREBONNE-ORLEANS-ST. CHARLES-ST. JAMES-ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST-ST. TAMMANY-TANGIPAHOA-UPPER JEFFERSON-UPPER LAFOURCHE-UPPER PLAQUEMINES-UPPER ST. BERNARD-UPPER TERREBONNE-1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

Havent been that many Cat 5 hurricanes to party thru. Otherwise I would agree with you.

12 years Fla,
12 years Calif,

Florida= a few hurricanes and a tornado a block down that wiped out over 100 units when I was 7-8 years old.
Calif= several quakes including the Northridge quake.

This one hits with 175 mph winds there is going to be hell to pay.

Stu
  View Public Profile Send a private message to StuHaluski Visit StuHaluski's homepage! Find More Posts by StuHaluski