Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Katrina and the Waves
Old 08-25-2005, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512
Comments: 0

Fish is offline IP: 65.3.234.4

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

<CENTER> </CENTER>

We're not exactly "Walking on Sunshine" this evening.

Here we are at ground zero again in Florida! Actually it takes more than a Cat 1 hurricane to get our attention, but it's fun to pretend we are worthy of a national news event. South Beach is on the back side of this storm, so we are getting some wind and rain, but it's not really much more than a reason to go buy a lifetime supply of coffee, beer and pizza (the absolutely critical supplies). One thing is nice about my place here in Southgate Towers, our electricity comes in through underground lines so it takes a lot for us to loose power.

One thing that makes this a little spooky is that we didn't even know there was a storm out there until about 48 hours ago, this thing blew up pretty quickly (which explains why it's only a Cat 1). It's easy to imagine how frightening these things must have been to sailors when we didn't have warnings and satellite tracking. Another thing which gives us all pause these days is that this is basically the anniversary of Andrew, still the most violent and costly hurricane to hit the United States. What bothers us is that tropical cyclones are named alphabetically, Andrew was the first storm of 1992 and blew up in late August. This year at the same date we are already 11 storms into the alphabet.

Speaking of Andrew, Miami is actually hit by these storms pretty infrequently. Andrew actually came ashore about 15 miles south of Miami proper, had it been a few miles further north, it's been estimated that the damage could have been ten times worse.

Well, hello! Katja just turned due south! The storm was supposed to go straight west, but the eye is now over North Miami. Hey, this could be more fun than we expected! Christian just got off the phone, he's having an "interesting" few moments. (His place is about three blocks from me.) In spite of all the warnings, people have been wandering around outside in this storm. Unfortunately as a result several Darwin Awards have been presented.

I'm going off line for a while until our power situation is stabilized, live from South Beach this is Johnny Mon Fish!
--
John Fisher
Couture Model Management
900 West Avenue, Suite 423
Miami Beach, Florida 33139
305 534-9322
http://www.johnfisher.com
http://www.couturemiami.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish

Could I ask a favor?.....
Old 08-25-2005, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37789

Allen_P is offline IP: 68.1.70.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Could y'all South Floridians please slow the storm down and possibly stop it before it gets into the gulf? I think if everyone went outside and began fanning it in the other direction, the storm may dissipate (sp?). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Note: I've never tried this, but hey, it might work.

Hope y'all are staying safe down there!

Best,

Allen

View Public Profile Send a private message to Allen_P Find More Posts by Allen_P

Re: Katrina and the Waves
Old 08-25-2005, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38674

gregkdavis is offline IP: 24.242.249.153

Hope all goes well. Be safe.
I like your model---- by the way...
Nice meeting you on the phone, hope to meet you in person soon.

Greg.

View Public Profile Send a private message to gregkdavis Visit gregkdavis's homepage! Find More Posts by gregkdavis

Funny thing is, have you seen...
Old 08-25-2005, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35737

David Bunch is offline IP: 209.102.150.198

the reports on some scientist or whatever who is trying to get approval and funding to build a barge with 10 or 12 massive jet engines on it, exhausts pointed up, to superheat the air in front of a tropical storm, to cause it to dissipate before it reaches hurricane strength? Kinda wacky, but then again, ya never know....

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to David Bunch Visit David Bunch's homepage! Find More Posts by David Bunch

Katrina made some waves!
Old 08-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35512

Fish is offline IP: 65.3.234.182

<CENTER>
Crystal Moyer for Alize' in South Beach on a better day!</CENTER>

Weird storm, it got a lot more interesting as it came ashore. Katrina strengthened considerably just before it arrived, then because it went south instead of west it continued to strengthen. We had wind gusts on Virginia Key (where Jimbo's is) and Key Biscayne (both are right next to South Beach) which were catagory 2 strength. Also the problem areas with these storms are traditionally to the north east of the center, however this time the most severe weather was to the south and south east.

Right up to the time the storm came ashore the networks and the weather channel were reporting that little damage was to be expected, but when we woke up they were reporting over a million and half people had lost power. Anyway, as I mentioned South Beach is pretty well designed for these kind of weather events, so we basically got through it without much trouble. The big disappointment for me was that the cable company lost signal so I missed most of the Jacksonville-Atlanta preseason game (at least I have my priorities in order!)

Things don't look so good for the Florida Panhandle in the coming days (sorry Allen!). The Panhandle has been the target for a number of pretty wicked storms the last couple of years, this is hardly something they need at this point.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Fish Visit Fish's homepage! Find More Posts by Fish

Re: Could I ask a favor?.....
Old 08-26-2005, 01:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41014

RoshGlamour is offline IP: 24.99.116.139

[ QUOTE ]
Could y'all South Floridians please slow the storm down and possibly stop it before it gets into the gulf? I think if everyone went outside and began fanning it in the other direction, the storm may dissipate (sp?).

[/ QUOTE ]

It could work! It's like if an airplane is crashing and I'm on it, I've got something I want to try. I will be out of the wing flapping my arms. Now, you can laugh if you want, but if I take off... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

View Public Profile Send a private message to RoshGlamour Visit RoshGlamour's homepage! Find More Posts by RoshGlamour

Old 08-26-2005, 02:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 65.4.253.135

LOL... that's like my theory of like when you're in a plummeting elevator... My theory is that if you start jumping up and down, if the elevator hits bottom when you're in mid jump, then you should get out with nary a scratch! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I've never had the opportunity to prove my theory, but you never know, it could work...

Sam [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 08-26-2005, 02:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

[ QUOTE ]
I've never had the opportunity to prove my theory, but you never know, it could work...

[/ QUOTE ]

No time like the present!!!

Slacker!!!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Old 08-26-2005, 02:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 65.4.253.135

Okay Don, let's go someplace that has an elevator. You cut the steel cable (I'm gonna let you figure out how [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), and when I feel the freefall I'll start jumping up and down.

I'll be known as the dumbest dead guy in history! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 08-26-2005, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Fantasiesimage

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.103.193.140

Dr Evil-- How bout nooooooooo ya crazy bastard!!