Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Chaperone or not?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39727
Comments: 0

dbrugge is offline IP: 24.165.210.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is to pick up on a thread started by Jade

I do not shoot glamour. I shoot fashion for children’s and for teen stores. When I shoot children, I find it usually (but not always) helpful to have parents absent from the set. Some parents want to help by being active and coaching their child star from the sidelines - usually giving instructions that are contrary to what I want. "Look up more Britney! Come on, show him a big smile!"

I look for spontaneity and action in my shoots. The presents of parents reminds kids that they are supposed to be on their best behavior. I shoo the parents out so that the kids and I can have some fun.

When shooting older girls – boyfriends on the set, and girlfriends too for that matter, have the same dampening effect. I need to have all of the attention on me and on my directions.

BUT…when I am shooting teen girls under 18 – I want momma there! This is especially true if the clothing or the shoot can be construed as “sexy.� A lot of times, momma is too busy and doesn’t have anyone else to stand in. This is where I insist that I have at least two older female staff with me on set. I am quite aware that my precautions affect the quality of my work – sometimes quite noticeably. And yet, I feel that I have too much to loose by letting down my guard.

This is why I post this. I would really appreciate hearing from others in similar situations, and what your feelings are on the subject.

- David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dbrugge Find More Posts by dbrugge

Re: Chaperone or not?
Old 08-23-2005, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 38751

AliciaRachel is offline IP: 208.189.119.222

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

"Female Staff" Bingo! You hit the nail on the head!

When I worked at an agency, we would host photo shoots for models / potential models in which alot of them were between the ages of 15 to 23 females. Our photographers usually were male professionals, but we always had either I or another young lady whom is a pro model be the "photo assistant". Not only could we make you feel comfortable, but help give direction to the model and assist the photog with reflector, hair, what not.

I personally don't do shoots alone unless I know you, bottom line. Even then, people know whom I am with at what time and where.

It's a touchy situation, and not black and white, too many grays inbetween. For the most part, I tell models to have "assistants" with them. Not boyfriends, not dad's or mom's, but hire a make-up artist to come along, or get a friend that is a model.

Now, I do have to say that my husband has come along on one or two of my shoots with new photographers, and guess what, they love him!! Held the reflector, helped carry the equipment, kept is mouth shut. But, I also know that he is proud of me and what's me to do well, not jealous at all, but I am also lucky.

OK, that's enough of that, rambeling!
Alicia

View Public Profile Send a private message to AliciaRachel Visit AliciaRachel's homepage! Find More Posts by AliciaRachel

Old 08-23-2005, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39727

dbrugge is offline IP: 24.165.210.45

Thanks Alicia. What I forgot to mention. My clients choose the models. They are seldom professional and often have never modeled.
BTW I was looking at your book when I got an email notice that I had a reply. Very nice! You have a nice range of looks and a very comfortable affect to you. I should be so lucky as to get someone like you on my set.
My teen client says that she likes the un-glamour, real people look that she gets with amateurs. That could very well be. I know that Seventeen Magazine and some other publications are moving away from professionals. But it could also be that she is cheap.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dbrugge Find More Posts by dbrugge

Old 08-23-2005, 12:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45175

atergilbus is offline IP: 193.77.203.233

Well i also have on set an female make up artist and a hair stylist - the model
, especially younger one feels much more comfortable - and photos are better way better.

atergilbus
  View Public Profile Send a private message to atergilbus Find More Posts by atergilbus

Old 08-23-2005, 09:07 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40281
My Mood:

Terry397 is offline IP: 68.202.107.8

David,

I agree with you 100%. I always have at least one female staff member with me when I shoot females under the age of 18. I have a friend that video tapes his shoots when he can't get a female staff member to assist CYA.

I always have problems with parents directing their kids. I have actually stopped a shoot and ran the parents (Mom's) out to the waiting room. Believe it or not most of the kids thank me for doing it.

Terry
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Terry397 Visit Terry397's homepage! Find More Posts by Terry397