Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Wedding Photography
Old 08-22-2005, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44365
Comments: 0

chucklyman is offline IP: 68.255.70.91

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Breaking into the wedding side of photography seems to be the hardest of all concepts of the photo business. How does one get that first job? Or better yet. How should one go about getting that first job? Most dont want to try an un-tried photographer to such an important job.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to chucklyman Visit chucklyman's homepage! Find More Posts by chucklyman

Re: Wedding Photography
Old 08-22-2005, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 42405
Send a message via AIM to Make-up by DeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to Make-up by DeAnn

Make-up by DeAnn is offline IP: 68.103.193.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Friends and Family to start out with...so you have something to show them.

DeAnn
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Make-up by DeAnn Visit Make-up by DeAnn's homepage! Find More Posts by Make-up by DeAnn

Old 08-22-2005, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 65.33.208.6

run adds, pass out flyers, attend local trade shows, talk with and offer referral money to bridal shops tux shops flower shops. talk with and get deals with wedding planners, justice of the piece who specializ in performing weddings. ADVERTISE AND ADVERTISE AND NETWORK with the people in the industry.

work = 10 hours of networking and 30 minutes of shooting so the average wedding shoot lasts 6 hours. expect to spend a minimum of 60 hours of networking to one wedding shot.

good luck.

Our wedding site
  View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto

Old 08-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35318

JasonNJ is offline IP: 68.196.99.6

There are plenty of wedding workshops out there, they just...arn't advertised here.

But I would suggest the following. if you have no experience whatsoever with weddings I would look to the closest wedding studio or wedding photographer here and apprentice/assist for 1 year. Get some experience with shooting weddings and see how they work and what is required from you the photographer poses etc.

After about 6 months, start some networking through bridal stores, word of mouth, salon's believe it are not are a hidden goldmine for brides to be looking for photographers.....and usually people in there like to talk [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Get some cards and while your working your event, if people ask you give out your card and you are getting some potential wedding canidates.

I would look into most PPA events in your area, they will be starting up again come end of october which is the official end of the main wedding season.

Any questions feel free, did this a few years ago, but I just valued my weekends too much to see it all the way thru.

JasonNJ
GPCB
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JasonNJ Visit JasonNJ's homepage! Find More Posts by JasonNJ

Old 08-22-2005, 02:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 209.172.10.43

Finding an apprentice postion is a good way but depending on your area may be difficult to find. I dont reccomend shooting weddings for family members. Weddings can be a pain in the butt and if the couple are family and you make a mistake it will never go away. You will hear about it forever. Networking is really the best way. Shoot couples so you can put together a portrait book. and build from there.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RSStory Visit RSStory's homepage! Find More Posts by RSStory

Old 08-22-2005, 06:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 4.191.209.93

One of the models I shot with liked her pictures well enough that she ask me if I would shoot her wedding for her. I did and it turned out well.
Someone else saw what I was able to do and they ask me to shoot their's.
Now I am waiting to see if there is another someone who asks the same thing.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

There is always someone looking....
Old 08-22-2005, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35281
My Mood:

Mitch is offline IP: 67.116.107.201

....for as cheap a wedding photographer as they can find. Personally, I warn people against doing this, but a lot of people are looking to save that dime. Offer an inexpensive package, show that you are no stranger to photography and you'll get some requests. Be truthful and let them know that you are just starting out in the wedding photo biz, but have been shooting for a long time (of course don't use that "S" word) and are no stranger to the photography world. Tell everyone you know to spread the word that you are looking for wedding business. You'll get someone, don't worry about that. We get people everyday that don't go with us because we're too expensive, so I know for a fact that these people are out there. It is a bit of a hurdle to get over if you have no wedding images to show, but for some people that money saved is worth the perceived risk.

Good luck!

Mitch

Soon you'll have one of these for yourself!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mitch Visit Mitch's homepage! Find More Posts by Mitch

What I did and where I am.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36812

j4m3z is offline IP: 24.231.185.48

I started by getting really handy with a mostly manual camera (canon AE-1 and A1). I'd practice taking some candids at Birthday parties, friends parties, Christmas, etc. Then some friends were getting married, and some friends of friens, and I got them to agree to let me attend and shoot pictures to use in a portfolio if I give them a couple of 8x10s,or sometimes I was flat out envited. After about three of these I had enough for a small portfolio. With some online advertising I started booking small, cheap weddings. People that are only inviting 12 guests, or wouln't otherwise hire a photographer. I also assisted another wedding photographer on several giggs. Through online marketing another wedding photographer found me and asked me to assist him, or fill his position if he could double book weddings (they knowing I'd do the photography). He paid me a flat fee for every wedding and handled all the customer stuff. I did all this on top of my day job. Then I started the process of moving to a different state. I finished up my contract jobs,even got a short notice one, and then moved 12 hours away to start a family. Now that I'm in my own house and unpacking I've already booked one gig for next year, and I'm starting to get the marketing engine fired up. I'm by no means the awesomest wedding photographer out there, but I'm competent, I have enough jobs under my belt to know what I can handle, how things work, what deliverables are expected, and how to use my equipment to meet or hopefully exceed the expectations of the client. I'm still going after some lower end jobs, but I'm moving up the ladder, redesigning my website,and trying to attract better paying customers. I'm a little behind when it comes to knowledge on the "running a business" side because of assisting and contracting at least half the time. It's fun though, and I like it! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to j4m3z Visit j4m3z's homepage! Find More Posts by j4m3z

Old 08-22-2005, 07:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 70.152.0.30

best place for wedding info that I have found is zuga.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Make sure you price it right...
Old 08-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Art
Film Dinosaur

Member GG#: 35716

Art is offline IP: 69.37.30.34

Just like this guy: http://www.spencerstudio.com/weddings.htm

He'll even throw in a free pen AND if you print out his coupon, you get a $35 discout.

Art.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Art Visit Art's homepage! Find More Posts by Art