Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Stolen Images?
Old 08-21-2005, 10:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 39367
Comments: 0

bruggemj is offline IP: 24.183.206.161

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm torn between a couple of things here....

Recently Hackman had a post concerning "Double-layer protection"
If I'm reading correctly, soon the capability to (save) images to ones hard drive will not be allowed.
I personally have a problem with this in the fact that I am currently (saving) images I like to my hard drive
for the purpose of "finding my style".
I have been taught that if you pull pictures from mags that you like, sooner or later you will be able to see a style develop.
I currently have 12 images in my folder, and even with this few of pictures I can already see a trend.
I wish I could credit all who provided these images, at the very least thank them, but I did not keep track of who shot them.

Now Marc Grant has posted that some of his images have been stolen.
I feel bad that this individual has decided to have Marc's images
help his career in this manner, instead of how I am using them.
(Not sure if I have any of your images in my folder Marc, but I love your work)

I hope we can continue to (save) everyones images for the reasons I do, and shame on anyone who takes advantage of this capability.

Joe [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bruggemj Visit bruggemj's homepage! Find More Posts by bruggemj

I won\'t aid you. . .
Old 08-21-2005, 11:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 67.166.70.7

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

in your neferious deeds. . . if neferious they are. But the fact remains that anyone with half a knowledge of computers knows that if it can be seen on the computer it can be taken. In the years that I've been surfing the net I've seen only one technique that worked for more than half a second before being foiled. I probably could have figured out that one with a little time and if they had anything worth downloading. I suspect ninety percent of us that use the net to improve ourselves use it as you describe. I years past I kept a "swipe" file of images taken from magazines that impacted me in someway. I encourged beginning models to do the same. The difference than taking from the Net is that the magazine paid the photographer (and model) for the right to publish. and you paid for the publication for the right to do what ever you wanted to do with the rag. Of course it was extremely difficult to use those images to enrich one's self except in an inspirational way so nobody cared. To day most of the photographers publish on the net without the benefit of recompense. My advise to everyone. If you don't want it taken do not publish it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cclesue Visit cclesue's homepage! Find More Posts by cclesue

Re: Stolen Images?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 65.195.96.55

Joe,
I agree completely! I too have a "swipe file" in just about every catagory of photography I'm interested in. If I come across an awsome image I say " WOW I'm going to try that! Right click-save. I have images that alot of gg photographers have shot, nobody sees these but me, they are only for inspirational perposes only. Marks tinkering around with the right click disable has not slowed me down one bit. If it's on the screen you can easily grab it. The only thing it's done is add a whole lot of inconvienance when adding images to a post.
Mark Harper
P.S. Hackman, if you want to add a feature that's usefull make it a spell check! I really need that.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Re: I won\'t aid you. . .
Old 08-22-2005, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37304
Send a message via Yahoo to trwphoto

trwphoto is offline IP: 65.33.208.6

Stealing is BAD!! ! ! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] I have decided to use a thingy I don't belive will make it so easy. Take alot of work to un-do this.

Sure wish it wasn't necessary.

web page

View Public Profile Send a private message to trwphoto Visit trwphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by trwphoto

Old 08-22-2005, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39673
Send a message via ICQ to Hoosier_Daddy

Hoosier_Daddy is offline IP: 149.160.27.113

the images will still be available to save to your hard drive. If you can see it on the monitor, it can pretty much be saved to a disc. It's true that there can be scripts to disable the right click feature, but that just means you have to go around.

If someone is going to take an image and use it as their own, they are an ass. But I can see the value in saving the image for yourself to view late, as often posters will delete the images after a while and you can no longer find them. They don't pose much of a threat to any real loss by the photographer who shot them, because they are of so low resolution (most of the time) on the web that they cant be printed.

I use mozilla, and one of the features that I love about it is that i can right click and choose "view page info" then choose "media" and I am able to see every image that is on the page in a list format. You can just scroll through and pick an image, like this one --> or this one -->

anyway, if you learn how to find the image, you will still be able to get it to save. Someone that is passing off pictures that belong to Mr. Grant or anyone else is probably just going to surf around and find some somewhere else, since all they want is to fool someone into thinking they are a great photographer, and do not really care about creating any style to their "portfolio".

If you are feeling guilty about saving someones picture to use as a learning tool, then maybe you should email them and ask them if it's okay with them. I bet most would be alright with it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Hoosier_Daddy Visit Hoosier_Daddy's homepage! Find More Posts by Hoosier_Daddy

Old 08-22-2005, 10:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40979

dmann is offline IP: 68.118.221.94

TRW,

What is the "thingy" you use so people don't steal your photos. I don't keep a "swap file". I do keep links in my favorites list to photos/photographers I like.

I don't think a "copyright" logo will stop people from keeping a file in a "swap file" because the "idea" of the image is what the person wants not the photo. I have heard some complain about how some poses boring because everyone does them. I don't think there is a problem with doing the "boring poses" for a beginner. If you post a photo and someone claims it's a "boring pose" and that is the best critique they can give you, then you are indeed ready to move on.

PS - I was going to re-post your image with the copyright logo removed, but decided against it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dmann Find More Posts by dmann

Old 08-22-2005, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. Hackman, if you want to add a feature that's usefull make it a spell check! I really need that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Download the Google toolbar (its free, and no ads or spyware). It has a built in spellchecker that works fantastically with GG, etc.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-22-2005, 12:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 65.195.96.55

Thanks Fredrick! I hope it works with Mozilla.
Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 08-22-2005, 12:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

I can never remember which browser is which.

I think the standard Google toolbar works only with IE.

But there is also a version for firefox at

http://toolbar.google.com/firefox/

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith