Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP!
Old 08-21-2005, 09:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36261
Comments: 0

Sparky is offline IP: 70.112.140.104

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I lost one year's worth of images yesterday and techie friends just gave me the bad news. No recovery. The ironic thing was I started Windows DiskClean so I could do a back-up. Lost the boot strap, corrupted index files, and disk performance wouldn't allow a second drive disk read using Windows or Linux. Just learn from me and do those back-ups photogs. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I would have posted a pic here but I haven't got any. I see a hangover coming on.
Sparky
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sparky Find More Posts by Sparky

Re: BACK UP, BACK UP, BACK UP!
Old 08-21-2005, 10:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45074

PrimeJive is offline IP: 69.139.203.180

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Get a Mac
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PrimeJive Visit PrimeJive's homepage! Find More Posts by PrimeJive

Old 08-21-2005, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35629

grsphoto is offline IP: 70.51.151.243

[ QUOTE ]
Get a Mac

[/ QUOTE ]

Owning a Mac doesn't protect you from hard drive failure....

a dedicated Mac User

grs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to grsphoto Visit grsphoto's homepage! Find More Posts by grsphoto

Old 08-21-2005, 11:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 208.63.180.147

Ouch... Wow man, sorry to hear about that...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 08-21-2005, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36812

j4m3z is offline IP: 24.231.185.48

True, but you won't have to rund "Windows DiskClean" and hose your system and I believe that the file system Macs use in OS X is more robust than Fat32 or NTFS.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to j4m3z Visit j4m3z's homepage! Find More Posts by j4m3z

Old 08-21-2005, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 67.162.234.198

I wouldn't give up just yet! Your techie friends might not have had the final answer. First of all, there are several possibilities. You may have had a hard drive crash, or window's may have melted down, or some of the fat table may have been scrambled. But unless you had a catastrophic disk failure, the images are still on that hard drive and their are recovery services that can recover them for a fee. I have never yet seen a hard drive on a system that melted down that could not have some of its data recovered. So you may want to get a second opinion. Just type "disk recovery" into Google for tons of services for this sort of problem.

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-21-2005, 11:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42284

icuphotography is offline IP: 68.12.250.182

Jesus, make the guy feel better with a smart ass comment about getting a Mac. Not cool.

I don't know your tech guy but you might want to do an online search for data recovery services. There is a place I used once in California. I think it cost me like $600. They were able to recover most everything.

It is never gone. You can remove the platters from the hard drive and use software to pull out data. Companies make their living doing this regardless of whether its Mac or PC.

I just had the same scare myself this week but finally got my backup to work. Initially they showed as corrupted and that was seriously scary.

Don't give up hope.

View Public Profile Send a private message to icuphotography Find More Posts by icuphotography

Old 08-22-2005, 01:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35226

johnnyolsen is offline IP: 69.3.212.162

View Public Profile Send a private message to johnnyolsen Visit johnnyolsen's homepage! Find More Posts by johnnyolsen

Old 08-22-2005, 01:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42634
My Mood:

MannyR is offline IP: 24.218.237.127

If this was your primary (boot) HD, the answer is simple really.

Hook up the drive to another PC that's bootable. Attach the "dead" drive to the PC either on the secondary IDE port, or use an external USB HD box.

Inside of Windows XP, open a command prompt and type:

CHKDSK driveletter /F

(replace "driveletter" with the letter the drive shows up as).

If it's just the indexes, that'll rebuild it.

Here's another trick you can try. I used this on a friend's HD that would cause the system to literally reboot whenever the OS would try to read the boot strap on the drive.

Using a copy of Norton Ghost, boot with a DOS boot disk and make a ghost image file of the "bad" HD onto a good HD (MAKE AN IMAGE FILE, DO NOT clone the drive to a new drive!!!). Tell Ghost to ignore any errors that it may find while making the image. Once the image file has been created, use Ghost Explorer to extract the files that you need from the image file. Using this trick I was able to recover ALL the files from my friend's HD.

[ QUOTE ]
I lost one year's worth of images yesterday and techie friends just gave me the bad news. No recovery. The ironic thing was I started Windows DiskClean so I could do a back-up. Lost the boot strap, corrupted index files, and disk performance wouldn't allow a second drive disk read using Windows or Linux. Just learn from me and do those back-ups photogs. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I would have posted a pic here but I haven't got any. I see a hangover coming on.
Sparky

[/ QUOTE ]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MannyR Visit MannyR's homepage! Find More Posts by MannyR

here\'s the place & a warning
Old 08-22-2005, 02:41 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35977

Andy_Pearlman is offline IP: 66.245.205.122

The company someone mentioned below is Ontrack Data Recovery . Why do I know this? Well, a friend's HD died on her very old laptop last year and we tried everything to get her data back, including sending it here, but it didn't work. Why it didn't work, according to the folks at ODR, is that by the time we sent it to them, we had taken it to two local computer places who tried all sorts of software solutions that were unable to help because the problem was a head scratching on a platter and the continued software attempts wore down the platter. Anyway, ODR was highly recommended and I guess I have to take their word for it. It did reinforce the "backup, backup" mantra, and I recently bought (and used!) a 400gb external HD (only $299 at Fry's) to back up everything in one shot. And yes, I did sleep better.

And BTW, to the guy with the comment about getting a MAC, remember that hard drives are not platform dependent.\

Regards,
Andy Pearlman
Andy Pearlman Studio
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Andy_Pearlman Visit Andy_Pearlman's homepage! Find More Posts by Andy_Pearlman