Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Main Community Forum

Main Community Forum General Modeling & Photography Forum
Adult posts prohibited!>>Please Read Our GUIDELINES before posting!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
I am so frustrated
Old 08-21-2005, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36687
Comments: 0

Sean_Michaels is offline IP: 69.157.105.246

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

So I contact a model from the other modelling site. She e-mails back with her rates. $70 an hour for "some experience". She also wants a MUA. Right up front I told her no nudes, the shots were for my portfolio only. There is no way I can afford that. I figured I'd be able to cover her expenses and maybe $50. Is this unrealistic. I just want some new shots for my portfolio and the experience of working with different models. I get so frustrated trying to find models to shoot.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Sean_Michaels Find More Posts by Sean_Michaels

Re: I am so frustrated
Old 08-21-2005, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35195

rjwarren is offline IP: 24.160.122.68

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sean

First, your opinion or my opinion doesn't change anyone's rates. However, I think it's not an unreasonable expectation that you should be able to find someone interesting to shoot without having to pay commercial rates. If the model is local, I can't imagine even paying expenses. The key is find someone that wants to shoot, wants some new images, and has the time. That sounds like a tall order - but there are lots of nice folks that can and will do the job. Don't focus on one particular model that just isn't interested in what you have to offer - that is nothing but frustration!

Bob
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rjwarren Visit rjwarren's homepage! Find More Posts by rjwarren

Old 08-21-2005, 08:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45074

PrimeJive is offline IP: 69.139.203.180

You are entitled to charge whatever you think you are worth. It is your option to either accept, reject or try to negotiate.
Jose
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PrimeJive Visit PrimeJive's homepage! Find More Posts by PrimeJive

Old 08-21-2005, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36657

That_Look_Photography is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Hi Sean,

There are only few photographers that have models waiting at there door to shoot for free. I happen to be lucky now and then because I have a friend that is a clothing designer and she finds me "models" ( just local girls ) to shoot her clothes in. I may have had 5 models all year that just wanted to shoot so they can get a few pictures for there ports. But at the same time I don't go looking for tfcd shoots that much. Put your self in there place and you can see why they need to get paid. It is the way they pay there bills. Save up a few bucks and then ask a model to shoot. Pay her a good rate and she will work hard to make it worth your time and money. Look at this way..When was the last time you asked the ac repair guy to come over and fix your unit for a cup of coffee ? It's that simple. What I like to do when I shoot a model is work out an 8hr shoot rate. It costs more then a 2 hr shoot but the price comes down on a per hr rate if you shoot for 8hrs. That seems to be the way it has worked for me anyway. Another thing to do is hook up with another photographer in your area and each pay half for the model. It has taken me a few years to make enough money off of shooting to let me turn the money around and use it to hire models. So in a sense now it only costs me my time. And don't limit yourself to shooting just models. Shoot anything you think people will pay you to shoot. Dogs ,Cats, houses, cars, pass out your cards everyplace you go..

Mike

That Look Photo
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photography Visit That_Look_Photography's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photography

Old 08-21-2005, 10:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Dax
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35270

Dax is offline IP: 65.3.235.153

Welcome to dealing with internet modeling. =)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dax Visit Dax's homepage! Find More Posts by Dax

Old 08-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42793

kentalan is offline IP: 67.184.67.28

Don't be frustrated--she simply priced herself out of working with you. There are plenty of people who are willing to work TFP's, you just have to look and be patient. I know my advice seems standard, but I had the same frustrations once and the advice actually worked. Now I have many models that have contacted me and not enough time to work with them...be patient and keep looking.

Also, the best revenge is a life well lived. Develop your skills and talents so that she may one day ask you for a TFP. Then you can have the satisfaction of quoting her a rate of $140 plus a MUA. Or, you can be the better person and accept her TFP request...I'd opt for the former!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kentalan Visit kentalan's homepage! Find More Posts by kentalan

Old 08-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576

rixafter6 is offline IP: 69.247.193.169

In the future, when contacting a model, state up front what the job pays. If she wants more than what you're offering then thank her and pass on her counter offer.

Rick D.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rixafter6 Visit rixafter6's homepage! Find More Posts by rixafter6

Wait a minute... Have you asked her?
Old 08-21-2005, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 65.43.35.71

Okay, you asked her rates and she responded with numbers you can't afford. Have you asked her if she'd accept what you CAN offer?

I have found that a little communication can often result in a compromise which leave all parties satisfied.

Since I don't know what you said in your messages to her I can't offer suggestions on better approaches. But let me just say that I have found serious models to be reasonable people, and generally willing to negotiate if you explain the situation and are believable. That's not going to guarantee you wind up shooting with her, but shutting off communications after an initial rebuff won't get you there for sure!

<center>

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 08-21-2005, 06:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
JohnPaul

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 66.94.220.205

[ QUOTE ]
So I contact a model from the other modelling site. She e-mails back with her rates. $70 an hour for "some experience". She also wants a MUA. Right up front I told her no nudes, the shots were for my portfolio only. There is no way I can afford that. I figured I'd be able to cover her expenses and maybe $50. Is this unrealistic. I just want some new shots for my portfolio and the experience of working with different models. I get so frustrated trying to find models to shoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,...you know,... if a model doesn't feel as though she will benifit from your photos, no matter how hard you try to make them look good,...she may want to make her time, worth her while....

I personally say,.....more power to her..

JP

Welcome to Economics 101
Old 08-21-2005, 10:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Glamour Photographer

Member GG#: 36871
Comments: 10

kcphotoman1 is offline IP: 64.12.116.203

The law of supply and demand! She has the supply, you have the demand. Find a model that needs your supply and you can charge her. Until then.........practice on a model (or pet) that is in greater need of free work!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]Mark
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kcphotoman1 Visit kcphotoman1's homepage! Find More Posts by kcphotoman1