Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Photo Gallery Showcase & Mingle > Landscape, Travel, Flora & Fauna

Landscape, Travel, Flora & Fauna Landscape, Travel, Flora, Fauna

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Some HDR
Old 07-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37576
Comments: 0

rixafter6 is offline IP: 24.2.16.5

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm trying a new technique I learned on another forum.

Rick D.

Re: Some HDR
Old 07-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.60.65.171

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Very cruel to post without explaining what this "new technique" is.

Some kind of multiple exposure composite to enhance the dynamic range?

Really like the first landscape in this post. Reminds me of my boyhood home.

Thanks for sharing.

Old 07-08-2007, 01:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.118.139

The latest versions of Photoshop have an HDR mode that can be used to combine multiple shots (usually bracketed) of the same scene and allow the extension of the dynamic range. However one can often get the same effect with a RAW image. The RAW image method just means running it through the RAW converter twice. In his first example, you could just convert it once so the grass looks perfect and once so the sky looks perfect. Now drag image on to another and apply a black mask to the top layer and then paint with a white brush to reveal the sky (for example, if it is the top layer).
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford View Post
Very cruel to post without explaining what this "new technique" is.

Some kind of multiple exposure composite to enhance the dynamic range?

Really like the first landscape in this post. Reminds me of my boyhood home.

Thanks for sharing.
John:

Sorry professor, I didn't mean to be cruel.

It's a new technique to me. You bracket from -2ev to +2ev in raw mode. I use Dynamic Photo to then align and tone map the 5 images. A sturdy tripod is an absolute must.

Rick D.

Here' another one of Kansas city I shot and then used Photomatix trial version.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 71.60.65.171

Thanks for the explanation. I'd been wandering about this kind of "compositing" - seemed a pretty obvious way to compensate for the dynamic range limitations of a digital sensor. A bit difficult to pull off with an animate subject, though.
Very impressive in your examples, Rick. Did you do this in that "mirror reflection" landscape in the earlier post as well?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford View Post
Thanks for the explanation. I'd been wandering about this kind of "compositing" - seemed a pretty obvious way to compensate for the dynamic range limitations of a digital sensor. A bit difficult to pull off with an animate subject, though.
Very impressive in your examples, Rick. Did you do this in that "mirror reflection" landscape in the earlier post as well?
John:

Yes I did. HDR requires a minimum of 2 images but 3-5 work better. Here's a tutorial I wrote for Dean Johnson on Supershoots.net http://www.supershoots.net/forums_to...=1&Topic=11272

Rick D.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.163.1.120

Rick -

Thanks for posting - HDR is something I've wanted to try for some time. I shoot a lot in wetlands areas in Northwest Florida and getting the sky AND ground exposed correctly is almost impossible due to the thick vegetation. By coincidence, I was in line last week submitting some photos for our annual Power of Photography exhibition and the guy behind me had a beautiful sunset picture of one of our beach hotels, very similar to your second image. He must have used HDR. To me, HDR mimics the way we see in reality - that is, as we look at a part of an image, our eyes adjust so that part is always properly exposed.

Thanks for reminding me,
Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 07-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

You're welcome Doc.

Rick D.