Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself, as a veteran, newbie, etc., let us know you're here. One intro post per person.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Greetings from East TN
Old 11-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63896
Comments: 0

pcparrothead is offline IP: 71.88.194.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Figured I had better introduce myself since I have been lurking here lately.
My name is David, and I have only been into photography for 3 years. I have learned alot in the short time, and my current desire to help my photography is to learn more on lighting. I currently cant afford any high end strobes, but I do have a friend that will let me borrow his Alien Bees from time to time. a couple of b800s and one b400. I do have a couple of "speedlights" that I can trigger remotely. (ebay triggers)

anyway...I have uploaded a couple of images and will share my current favorite. I have only done a hand full of portrait sessions, and most of these have been toddlers, and family shots. I dont know how you guys find models, but would love any input. Maybe I will find the secret as I search the archives of the forum. (I cant even get my wife to model for me....but thats for another day!)

Here is my first image.
Critique is welcome, but please go easy on me for now!

Shot with Sony a700 and Zeiss 16-80.
Flash was a Sony F58, and was shot bare bulb used as fill.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to pcparrothead Find More Posts by pcparrothead

Re: Greetings from East TN
Old 11-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40641

DanNV is offline IP: 134.197.22.20

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Welcome to GG.

Dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DanNV Find More Posts by DanNV

Old 11-13-2009, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.132.64.65

Well, welcome from central NC! Feel free to be a part of the GG family!

Old 11-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 71.15.82.56

While the subjects face and shirt seem exposed well along with the brick wall, most of the background is very underexposed with the subjects hair blending into the background. I don't notice any catch lights in the models eyes. To fix this you may need to set your camera exposure to the overall scene to pick up the darker areas and then add a little fill flash.

Here is my rule 10 image. Shot at 1/60th of a second to pick up some of the dark background with a strobe to brighten up the model.

View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 11-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919

kgphoto is offline IP: 75.31.201.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTFORMS View Post
While the subjects face and shirt seem exposed well along with the brick wall, most of the background is very underexposed with the subjects hair blending into the background. I don't notice any catch lights in the models eyes. To fix this you may need to set your camera exposure to the overall scene to pick up the darker areas and then add a little fill flash.

Here is my rule 10 image. Shot at 1/60th of a second to pick up some of the dark background with a strobe to brighten up the model.

Hey Artforms,

I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. Your image has some top/back lighting and his is shot from under an over hang. If he exposed brighter and added more flash ( he already is using some flash fill) he would have overexposed the subject, especially her shirt.

Catch lights are there, they are just hard to see in such a small image. Selective dodging and burning along with a bump in contrast is probably needed more. What do you think about that analysis?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 11-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 63896

pcparrothead is offline IP: 71.88.194.140

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Hey Artforms,

I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. Your image has some top/back lighting and his is shot from under an over hang. If he exposed brighter and added more flash ( he already is using some flash fill) he would have overexposed the subject, especially her shirt.

Catch lights are there, they are just hard to see in such a small image. Selective dodging and burning along with a bump in contrast is probably needed more. What do you think about that analysis?

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.
I actually didnt want to see the stairs that were directly behind the gate.
They were awful, and just above her head, out of the crop, was some construction tape. This individual was actually fussing that she doesnt have many shots with her eyes open. I found out that most of them she has her eyes open, but I think the EXTREMELY dark makeup around her eyes eats all the light! )

Right now I am very minimalistic on gear. (based on funds trying to support this "hobby" that is easily becoming a passion) I am doing some portrait stuff for the people I work with, (to try to get some funds moving) but would really like to get a better grasp on lighting and what to really look for in my shots.
I purchased Monte Zuckers guide and have looked at some of Nigel Holmes stuff. I am also reading all I can online, etc.....anyone have any good recomendations for "budget" glamour? I have been trying to decide which or Rolando's books may fit my current needs, if you have any suggestions as well.

Just an idea on my gear:
Sony a700
Minolta 50mm 1.7
Minolta 100mm 2.8 Macro
Minolta 80-200mm 2.8 G
Zeiss 16-80mm 3.5-4.5
Sony 16mm 2.6 Fish
Sony 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 G
Sony F58 Flash

I also have access to a friends Alien Bees. (2xB800 and 1xB400)

Thanks again everyone, and I figure I will be coming to you guys for future advise. Trying not to be just another GWC, so thanks for all the information already posted on here!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to pcparrothead Find More Posts by pcparrothead

Old 11-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 71.15.82.56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
Hey Artforms,

Actually no I'm not comparing apples to oranges. When making a criticism on an image on garage glamour the rule 10 is that the person giving a critique, post an image. Many people on here are not aware of this ruling. Obviously it was not necessary for me to post an exact duplicate photo of a model next to a dark brick wall and dark gate that becomes black behind it. I didn't say that he needed more or brighter flash in my critique. What I said is that he may have needed to make a proper exposure with the existing light to bring more of that out of the background but still use some fill flash. Her hair may not have blended into the black that is behind her then. Flash can be controlled by reducing the power if needed. A bump in contrast would have only made what is dark become darker on his image.
On my image a strobe was used and yet she is not over exposed and the dark background
can still be seen. There wasn't any top/back lighting at the location I shot at, it was entirely in the shade. Now you have the facts on that one.

While the rest of you were saying welcome to garage glamour, he also ask for a critique which is what I did.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS