Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Please introduce yourself, as a veteran, newbie, etc., let us know you're here. One intro post per person.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
I guess this is where
Old 03-06-2009, 04:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62625
Comments: 0

dsal32 is offline IP: 158.59.25.49

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I say hello and make the inevitably awkward first post. I'll try to minimize the pain.

I'm Darren and I live in the Washington DC metro area. I guess I'd classify myself as a (somewhat) advanced hobbyist in that I've been shooting for over a decade now and have sold work in the past, but not really done more than shoot for my own pleasure recently. I also only recently made the switch from film to digital (someone was finally able to pry my fingers from my F5 last July), and now that I've leapt, I have no idea why I waited so long. Love the flexibility.

Mainly I've shot just about everything but people in the past. I've always been sort of reluctant to shoot people. I guess it all stems from a worry that people would hate the pictures I took of them, fear of failure I suppose. So, with a new year comes new challenges, and I'm ready to expand my experience and push myself a bit.

I've an opportunity to do some work that I'm not too proud to say is outside of my knowledge base and comfort zone (what if they hate it? the nagging question that's always led to me turning down such work in the past). Basically, I've been asked if I would shoot some "abstract" art nudes (b&w) for someone who'd like to use them to decorate a private space in their house.

I am here to research and learn about the things I've always avoided. Probably lurk and ask some questions for a while, decide if I want to do these projects...more accurately, whether I can do them and do them well. If so, hopefully I'll become a more competent and contributing member of the community.

So, if anyone has any advice on threads that I should read? I'm especially concerned with some of the basics (should I be using the same focal lengths/concepts I would for portraits? posing? advice you wish you'd been given starting out?) that I'm sure have already been asked about here. And yes, I'll familiarize myself with the "search" button and the "How Do I?" forum.

I think I have a decent grasp on composition, and I've got a great space to shoot with plenty of natural light. Basically, I'm a guy who has a decent concept of photographic principles, just not a lot of the ones that have to do with photographing people.

Also, if anyone has had similar reluctance/nervousness when they started shooting animate objects (that can give you feedback and be critical!), I'd love to hear about how you dealt with it.

Thanks, and Cheers!

DS

P.S. I know I write a lot of parentheticals, and am fairly stream-of-consciousness. I also know that can be confusing and hard on clarity. Sorry, I'm working on it!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dsal32 Find More Posts by dsal32

Re: I guess this is where
Old 03-06-2009, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57135
Comments: 0
My Mood:

JUSTA_NEWBIE is offline IP: 76.19.127.36

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsal32 View Post
I say hello and make the inevitably awkward first post. I'll try to minimize the pain.

I'm Darren and I live in the Washington DC metro area. I guess I'd classify myself as a (somewhat) advanced hobbyist in that I've been shooting for over a decade now and have sold work in the past, but not really done more than shoot for my own pleasure recently. I also only recently made the switch from film to digital (someone was finally able to pry my fingers from my F5 last July), and now that I've leapt, I have no idea why I waited so long. Love the flexibility.

Mainly I've shot just about everything but people in the past. I've always been sort of reluctant to shoot people. I guess it all stems from a worry that people would hate the pictures I took of them, fear of failure I suppose. So, with a new year comes new challenges, and I'm ready to expand my experience and push myself a bit.

I've an opportunity to do some work that I'm not too proud to say is outside of my knowledge base and comfort zone (what if they hate it? the nagging question that's always led to me turning down such work in the past). Basically, I've been asked if I would shoot some "abstract" art nudes (b&w) for someone who'd like to use them to decorate a private space in their house.

I am here to research and learn about the things I've always avoided. Probably lurk and ask some questions for a while, decide if I want to do these projects...more accurately, whether I can do them and do them well. If so, hopefully I'll become a more competent and contributing member of the community.

So, if anyone has any advice on threads that I should read? I'm especially concerned with some of the basics (should I be using the same focal lengths/concepts I would for portraits? posing? advice you wish you'd been given starting out?) that I'm sure have already been asked about here. And yes, I'll familiarize myself with the "search" button and the "How Do I?" forum.

I think I have a decent grasp on composition, and I've got a great space to shoot with plenty of natural light. Basically, I'm a guy who has a decent concept of photographic principles, just not a lot of the ones that have to do with photographing people.

Also, if anyone has had similar reluctance/nervousness when they started shooting animate objects (that can give you feedback and be critical!), I'd love to hear about how you dealt with it.

Thanks, and Cheers!

DS

P.S. I know I write a lot of parentheticals, and am fairly stream-of-consciousness. I also know that can be confusing and hard on clarity. Sorry, I'm working on it!
Hi Darren and welcome aboard.
I believe you've come to the right place for the assistance you seak.

I am also here, to learn as much as possible. there is alot of valuable knowledge to be learned, and very helpful people here.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Re: I guess this is where
Old 03-07-2009, 03:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 84.59.167.195

Darren,

I'm in the same boat as I shoot scenes and things often devoid of people or if they exist they're obviously not the subject. That said I may have my first "real" shoot at the end of the month providing me and the young lady can agree on the date. Best of fortunes and enjoy your journey!

Olympus: E-300/14-45/40-150/35/FL-50/EX-25/HLD-3/ME-1/RM-CB1

Sigma: 70-200
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap