Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > How Do I?

How Do I? How do I topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
How to Search G1 ...
Old 09-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.124.29

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Using the new Search Members Option

I'm updating this as of 12/28/2007. The model search function is now working again and if used properly can help you locate models or other groups on G1. It is called Search Members and can be accessed from the top level menu of most pages. Here is a screen shot of the option button:

When you click on it you'll see the following:

To search for a model you would select Model in the drop down for profession. DO NOT select one of the radio buttons below this option as that will likely reduce your results to next to nothing (you've been warned).

As a general rule, do not select an "Available for" check box as that will limit you too much since not all models properly filled out that section of their profile.

Then select Male or female or nothing for both genders.

In a large metro area, you could choose a City, but I find better results by just putting a state (or choose a province in Canada).

Enter only a partial zip code for your area. If you enter a city, then don't enter a Zipcode. You'll get more results with just two digits.

As far as the options at the bottom of the page, don't enter anything for any of them as most models didn't fill this stuff out. If you enter something then any model that didn't fill it out will not show up in the search.

Click the Search Now field to get your results.

Its still not perfect, but its better than nothing.

Over time as models properly fill out their profiles and put photos in their profile it should be more useful. If you just want to gripe about the system, then do that with PMs. The system can only get better if the members of the system are willing to support it and try to work with it as it grows and matures.

Using the Standard Member Search

Lot's of people complain about not being able to search on G1. While the search mechanisms are not fully fleshed out and some of them are currently not working, that does not mean you cannot search. You can still search for models if you want and you can search for threads or posts about any topic. You just need to understand certain things about the system and how it works. I'm not saying it cannot be a lot better, but we need to use what we currently have. So, here is a short tutorial on how to search for posts and how to search for models.

Search for Posts
1. Click on the link for New Posts (that is one of many starting points)
2. Then click on Search. Here is a screen shot:

You'll note that the Search link is the on the lower bar of links not the upper bar. See the illustration. When you click on this, you'll then see the box also shown above.

3. When the search box shows up, click on the Advance Search link. You will now see this dialog:

4. In the example above, I'm searching for posts by R Fredrick Smith (me). On the left I've put in a search word of "target". This means the system will search for all threads that have a post by me and that have the word "target" in them. I could also use the drop down below the user name to select a different option. Here is a screen shot of this:

This will do the same search but will only show posts from threads that I started (rather than just responded to).

5. Click the Search Now button at the bottom and you'll see the results.
Keep in mind that you need to choose appropriate target words that may be included in the posts you're looking for. Spelling counts. If you're looking for post about Youtube and you search for Utube, then you may not get the results you want.

Search for Models

This model search method will work, but its not the best in the world, but its the only method for the time being.
1. Click on the Members link. Here is the screen shot:

You can see the Members link here and then the arrow points to the dialog that comes up. Click on Search (circled in red on right) and then on the dialog you'll click on Advanced Search.

2. After clicking on Advanced search you'll see this:

3. In my example shot above, I've filled it a search for female models in Texas that have a zipcode starting with 760. If I wanted more results, then I might try just 76 or 75.

4.Then click the Search Now button, and you'll see the results.
The major problem you'll have with the model search is that very few models have properly filled in their profiles, so there is little or no information that can be searched on. But the search does work.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 12-28-2007 at 10:36 PM.. Reason: updating