Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Looking for some help in sharpenning!
Old 04-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 48779
Comments: 0

Brennans_Photography is offline IP: 71.84.210.115

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

In this photo his face, fingers, and the SAL are out of focus. I'm not sure on how to use the remove lens blur tool which I think is what's needed. Can anyone help or give me some advice if this is saveable? I really don't want to reshoot it if I can save it! I have all the rest printed and ready to give to the team.

I have it in RAW format.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pete

Re: Looking for some help in sharpenning!
Old 04-10-2009, 06:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41110

jakfoto is offline IP: 97.112.182.164

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi,

I know there have been some previous posts about selective shapening and also some third party tools that can help. Have you tried to search?

Not sure what app you using, but in Photoshop the sharpening filter/tool could go a long way in correcting this photo. Either in whole, or selectively. I'd recommend starting with a full image correction of smaller magnitude. Select the entire image (ctrl-a) or use the marquee tool and then use the sharpen filter. You can try the presets or variable. Play with the settings until you get something you like. Cautious as you'll notice on the variable setting, or repeated filtering you'll develop noise and quality issues.

To be more selective, just use your marquee tools to select the specific areas you want to sharpen and once selected use the same sharpening filter approach above for each selection.

In the toolbox there is a "sharpening" tool, but things can get out of hand quickly using this tool. It is a nice tool to use for minor touchups once general sharpening is already done.

Good luck, JK
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jakfoto Find More Posts by jakfoto

Old 04-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.97.7.21

I doubt any tool is going to save this image. It looks like motion blur to me. You've stripped the EXIF data so we can't see the aperture or shutter speed. I would say you used a flash, so I'll guess the shutter speed was 1/60. We can't see the focal length either, but I'll guess based on the DOF that you used a medium length telephoto. What you end up with is the parts of the image lit with the strobe appear to be sharp, but everything else that relied on ambient light suffers from camera shake.

I would say that a re-shoot is the best using manual camera controls to set the shutter speed according to the 1/focal length (+1) rule.

Hope that helps...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 04-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62652
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to mainflash

mainflash is offline IP: 70.190.34.61

I have to agree with srwatters, that the best solution is to retake this image. You could manually correct portions to make it look halfway decent but the time spent salvaging the image with some fairly extensive work unless you don't have the option of setting the player up for another shot.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mainflash Find More Posts by mainflash

Old 04-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 70.139.90.27

I'm afeared that one is a goner...that is pure lens blur and I don't know of ANY technique that can make it better....much less correct it...

Hopefully you can re-shoot

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 05-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Member

Member GG#: 48779

Brennans_Photography is offline IP: 71.84.210.115

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes, I reshot this last week! I have to remember to keep my big fingers off the wheel on the back of my 5d.

Old 05-04-2009, 03:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 62993

toddf is offline IP: 130.82.209.24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennans_Photography View Post
In this photo his face, fingers, and the SAL are out of focus. I'm not sure on how to use the remove lens blur tool which I think is what's needed. Can anyone help or give me some advice if this is saveable? I really don't want to reshoot it if I can save it! I have all the rest printed and ready to give to the team.

I have it in RAW format.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Pete

I don't know how to save a picture that's this blury but I will tell you one technique I've been using with mixed results to selectively sharpen certain facial features, highlight hair, jewelry etc. Create a duplicate layer and run a high pass filter on it, expiriment with radius to taste. Switch it an overlay layer and turn it in to a reverse mask (fill with black) then paint with white to reveal the effect where you want it. Alternatively you can run the unsharp mask on the overlay layer.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to toddf Find More Posts by toddf