Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What's best? lightroom or photoshop, or,,,what?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57135
Comments: 0
My Mood:

JUSTA_NEWBIE is offline IP: 76.19.127.36

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Let me know your opinions please? Tell me the pros and cons etc?
Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Re: What's best? lightroom or photoshop, or,,,what?
Old 02-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Lightroom will do about 75% to 90% depending on what you want to do, photoshop or a RAW converter of your choice for the rest.

My feelings on Lightroom are kind of mixed. The only thing I doesn't do very well from my point of view is RAW conversions for Nikon files. I don't know about other cameras RAW files though as I don't have anything besides Nikon. I've been doing my RAW conversions in Capture then dumping them into Lightroom.

Lightroom uses the same RAW converter as Adobe Camera RAW. The Adobe converter doesn't really read the white balance, sharpening and contrast correctly. Plus it doesn't read the Active D-Lighting at all. I know there are people out there who think Lightroom is the greatest thing since sliced bread, I would to probably if Nikon and Adobe would play a little nicer together.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 02-28-2009, 06:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50632

Buster is offline IP: 68.58.0.116

Ernie, you can download nikons profiles and use them in Lightroom insted of adobe camera raw
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Buster Find More Posts by Buster

Old 02-28-2009, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 147.97.130.153

I do use the profiles, but the white balance and other things still aren't right.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 03-01-2009, 01:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 96.27.144.221

Light room has cut my post processing time by about 1/3. I'm using it for import, file management, and most of the basic adjustments that I used to use photoshop for. That being said, I still could not get by without photoshop. Some things just need to be done on multiple layers, in different color spaces, with paths, ect. ect. So I guess my answer is neither is "Best", but they sure work well togeather.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51075
My Mood:
Send a message via Skype™ to PhotoDave1

PhotoDave1 is offline IP: 24.126.131.143

I posted a very similar question a week or so ago and got the same response. I have purchased Lightroom and installed it and can see the value of the program.

I haven't gotten it 100% figured out but I am sure it will become a very valuable part of my image editing programs.
deallen313@yahoo.com
Skype IM: DAllen3031
Twitter: ThePhotoPro1
Web Page: www.flickr.com/photos/3031photography/
Gear: Canon EOS 40D w/Grip + EOS 1N w/Grip; Tamron 28-70mm F2.8; Tamron 70-200 F2.8; Canon 430EXll
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoDave1 Visit PhotoDave1's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotoDave1

Old 03-01-2009, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 75.157.203.78

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfharper View Post
Light room has cut my post processing time by about 1/3. I'm using it for import, file management, and most of the basic adjustments that I used to use photoshop for. That being said, I still could not get by without photoshop. Some things just need to be done on multiple layers, in different color spaces, with paths, ect. ect. So I guess my answer is neither is "Best", but they sure work well togeather.
I'm trying to get used to using LR for everything at the beginning of post processing but I'm not so sure about the import and file management aspect. I still find it far faster for me to do this outside of LR.

Typically what I do is...
-make the folder named (yyyymmdd-Model Name) and located as I prefer (on a seperate USB connected hard drive...dedicated to the raw dump of the images) and then copy the files from the card to this location.
-using a free program I found I rename the images from the standards set by the camera to the folder name with the image numeric value. This is blazing fast even for massive dumps.
-then using either Irfanview or FastStone Viewer (both free viewers) I'll do a preliminary cull (really bad exposure, big motion blurring, blinks by the model, etc.) I already know that I'm *not* going to keep these...why let LR import them to only delete them later?

It's at this point I crank up LR to do a translate to .dng and import from location. However I'm considering on getting the standalone .dng convertor and seeing if this is any faster. LR still seems to be slow on this and I typically let it do this overnight while I sleep.

Of course the problems I am having could well be because of the age of my computer. I know already that it's problematic as I was one of the users who had the 'no virtual copy' problem when I moved from 1.4 to 2.* This was due to the AMD cpu I have in this box. Luckily there was a fix generated but soon enough I know that I *will have to* move up to a new computer. I'm sure that a newer and more powerful set will allow me to let LR do all the import and file management quicker than it is right now. But I won't know until I do the move. And with the economy being as it is (I'm in Mining Engineering) I'm giving serious doubts to laying out any cash at the moment.

Anyway, once these initial steps are done LR does do a reasonable job of what it was meant to do...emulate the wet darkroom. The guys at Adobe meant this program to be focused for the photographer and so the tools we have in this program are specific. The one big tool that PS has...cloning...was not included and whatever tool they included in the latest version of LR is minimal. Then again, how many 'wet' photographers had some sort of tool or technique to 'easily' clone their images on the printed photo paper?

Adobe, themselves, will even admit that PS was meant for the Graphics industry and so there's much in that program that is of little if any relevance to the photographer (...begs the question why they continued with the name Photoshop when the 'Photo' part is not the greater part of what PS does?). The purpose of developing LR was, as I said above, to pull out and enhance the tools that were primarily meant for photographers. I even thought, at the announcement of LR that it would be a PS Lite with less 'graphics'. You can imagine the disappointment many of us felt when we realized that cloning, multiple layers/channnels, actions and plugins were not part of it. There's been some work done to make allowances for these but still there's much that can *not* be done in LR and require the user to migrate the image to PS to do further work.

Realistically speaking most (if not all) that LR does can be done by PS. Then why not just go with PS to do your photo work? Well, you can...it was so before LR and will continue to be now with LR in the mix. It's just not 'elegant' or intuative...ergo the appearance of LR.

Now you could also look at this as Adobe's reaction and countermeasure to Apple's Aperture. Let's face it, Adobe is in the business of making money (as witnessed by the cost of PS and such) and so to not lose their market share LR was produced. Had they really been on the ball LR would have taken the lead instead of lagging behind Aperture at the beginning. You could also look at the fact that LR is meant to run with PS as another marketing/sales ploy of making the end user pay more for 2 programs (I'm one of those endusers). Could I have just stayed with PS? Of course I could but the fact that the basic tools I need for post processing my raw files and managing the files are there in the one 'simpler' program is the reason I am paying for both programs.

Of course these 2 reasons are fodder for 'conspiracy theories'.

So, 'best' is relative to the end user. Some will only need LR, some will only want PS and some will cough up the cash for both LR and PS knowing that each in conjunction enhance the abilities and experience of the photographer. No matter what though you *will* still be spending far more time on the computer than you may like...unless you can convince someone else to be your 'techie' and your only responsibility is to go out and shoot.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57135
My Mood:

JUSTA_NEWBIE is offline IP: 76.19.127.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoDave1 View Post
I posted a very similar question a week or so ago and got the same response. I have purchased Lightroom and installed it and can see the value of the program.

I haven't gotten it 100% figured out but I am sure it will become a very valuable part of my image editing programs.
Same here. I am trying to learn it. I have used photoshop before. But find lightroom a little easier so far. But just not sure which is best.

Someone even suggested Adobe Elements is the best. I have not tried that yet.
But I get my photo software free from my work. So will give it a try when i get up the will power to try to learn something else.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JUSTA_NEWBIE Find More Posts by JUSTA_NEWBIE

Old 03-04-2009, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 74.92.121.113

you guys are not using LR for what it was designed for.

LR is not PS.

LR is a photo catalog and storage program.

PS is an image modification program.

To be direct, most photographers are using 1-2% of the PS capabilities. PS is designed for high end image and graphic mods that most of us don't even come close to using. I will bet that 90% of photographers use levels, curves, size and unsharp and a few layers things. You haven't touched the surface of PS with that stuff.

LR takes your images and makes mini jpegs that stay in LR forever. If you use LR, you can be anywhere and look up files, see how they are named, get them to a client, assign them ratings based on whatever factors you want, send the jpeg selects, and then do some of the basic PS actions. LR was not designed to be an image mod software, but consider LR to be the file cabinet of your image files. Even if you back up the large files to an exterior drive, you can still sort through the display jpegs when you don't have the big files.

LR and PS compliment each other.

I strongly suggest you take a workshop by Seth Resnick on LR and its capabilities. Once you do that, you'll never use PS to check out files again. LR allows you to add ****- data, copyright information, preset actions as you import files, all kinds of other things that protect you and make your images more valuable to you.

Here is the link to the website:

http://d65.com/

Even if you don't go to his workshop, the website loaded with valuable info and his new book is a must buy. If you already invested in the software, buy the book and learn what capabilities you know have!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin
Last edited by glennusdin; 03-04-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 07:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.159.183

Great info Glenn,

LIghtroom is a photo management tool with some global photographic controls like exposure and color balance. Specific files with specific needs, like pimples will need Photoshop.

From an earlier comment, THE Photoshop was were all print work was done, both graphics with ortho film and stat cameras to continuous tone(black and white) and color. I am pretty sure that is whey they came up with and still use Photoshop.

All the image adjustment tools in Lightroom are available in Adobe Camera Raw, that comes with Photoshop. The real benefit of Lightroom is its ability to treat all your files as files with appendages, so all the changes and variations don't take up a lot of room on your hard drive. As said above it also enables you to sort, rename and store and retreive picture files more easily and compactly, than Bridge in PHotoshop.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto