Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
How do you achieve this look?
Old 09-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58973
Comments: 0

nickv7 is offline IP: 58.104.49.177

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Am interested to learn/find out how would you go about to get your image to look like ( or close to resembling) the following image/images by the following photographer.

http://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?pid=3097321

Is it done with lighting or mostly in Photoshop? & if it is done in PS, what are the likely steps to achieve a similar look?

Thanks Nick.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nickv7 Find More Posts by nickv7

Re: How do you achieve this look?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Maybe I'm the only one, but MM allows viewing only if you're a member, so this doesn't show me an image. Besides, GG and presumably G! always frowned on someone linking images that weren't their own.

You probably ought to redo this.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.228.245

Could be done in PS but it looks like a can of Pam, powerful strobe (overpower the sun) and a shallow DOF.

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 09-06-2007, 07:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.17.23

Looks to me like it was shot with a gel and a slow shutter. -- or perhaps just gold reflectors The same effect can be acheived in PS -- although it's much easier to simply shoot it.

Rolando uses CTO frequently -- and I think it gives a more natural look than the image you've linked. Just my taste, but I think the linked image over does the gold tone a bit.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 09-06-2007, 12:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 57569

TCProd is offline IP: 68.44.115.182

I may be wrong, but doesn't it appear to have a little high-dynamic-range work done to it? That's very popular over there at the moment.

Tom Conroy Productions
New Jersey - Greater Philadelphia
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TCProd Visit TCProd's homepage! Find More Posts by TCProd

Old 09-08-2007, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 69.237.154.141

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickv7 View Post
Am interested to learn/find out how would you go about to get your image to look like ( or close to resembling) the following image/images by the following photographer.
first thing you do is get a model who is as gorgeous as the model depicted. plus, either she or someone knows what they're doing with hair and make-up. Plus the model really knows how to "sell" the goods. Plus she's nicely greased up to reflect light off her skin.

next, you pay attention to how you orient her to the sun so she pops from the BG and then you add artificial light to fill the front set to slightly overexpose the face. The added light can be gelled to warm and/or a warming reflector can be used to bounce golden light in. YOu also expose (and use glass) to reduce the DOF... that also makes the model pop.

in post, you fix the skin without going overboard and you warm the warm tones and you certainly saturate some colors including the blue channel to "blue" the water and sky which makes the warm skin tones seem even warmer.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 09-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.81.241

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
first thing you do is get a model who is as gorgeous as the model depicted. plus, either she or someone knows what they're doing with hair and make-up. Plus the model really knows how to "sell" the goods. Plus she's nicely greased up to reflect light off her skin.

next, you pay attention to how you orient her to the sun so she pops from the BG and then you add artificial light to fill the front set to slightly overexpose the face. The added light can be gelled to warm and/or a warming reflector can be used to bounce golden light in. YOu also expose (and use glass) to reduce the DOF... that also makes the model pop.

in post, you fix the skin without going overboard and you warm the warm tones and you certainly saturate some colors including the blue channel to "blue" the water and sky which makes the warm skin tones seem even warmer.

Mostly it's shot that way... and one accessory nobody has mentioned yet is a wallet fat enough to sit on to get the low angle.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 09-16-2007, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55336

Bigv is offline IP: 207.118.24.170

Looks like beauty dish to the right. An assistant holding a big reflector low, in front and just to the left of the model. Guess would be a 200mm lens at about F4 or 5.6.

And lots of PS to fix the bad lighting.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bigv Find More Posts by Bigv

Old 09-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58090

BhhStudios is offline IP: 24.89.213.59

Well look at the shadows and highlights and you can see at least two strobes. and probably at least one gold reflector.

Large softbox above and just barely to the left of photographer:

• There is a shadow under her right breast and on her left forearm cast from her torso. This combined with the catch light at about 10 (tells us the height, size, shape of the light)

Harsh fill flash to photographers right and about 120° (probably shooting into a gold reflector under the softbox)

• Harsh highlight on models left torso. Shadow cast from her left hand onto her left torso.

The sun is coming from behind the models right shoulder.

You can tell from the "rays" poking through the cloud break in the top right, and also the blue highlights on the models right hip where it meets her hand. It's probably about an hour and a half before sunset :P

That's how you get the lighting look anyway. The model is clearly heavily tanned and lathered with either bronzer or a baby oil/lotion.

Hope this helps.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BhhStudios Find More Posts by BhhStudios

Old 11-08-2008, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37850
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via MSN to JonScott Send a message via Yahoo to JonScott

JonScott is offline IP: 206.212.226.175

Holy dead thread reborn.

You could always ask him...He's pretty good about telling people the basic stuff.

He *does* do a lot of post work with smoothing, contrast and saturation.

.:Why isn't "I like kitties" an acceptable career goal?:.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JonScott Visit JonScott's homepage! Find More Posts by JonScott