Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Pen Tool tutorial
Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
Comments: 0
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.163.1.120

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm experimenting with the Pen tool to delimit boundries for the Freeze and Thaw option in the Liquify filter. Kevin Ames has a tutorial in his "Photographing Women" book, but I haven't been able to break the code on it yet - seems like Kevin left something out. I want to be able to draw a smooth curved line with the Pen tool, say along a hip or thigh in an image, then use that line as a boundary for the Freeze option, by moving it slightly inside the image. Then I want to use the Forward Warp tool to contour the hip or thigh like I want it, then delete the boundary. Anyone have a quick tutorial or advice on this procedure?

As always, Thanks in advance,
Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Re: Pen Tool tutorial
Old 07-07-2007, 09:34 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi Doc,

I've completed all the exercises in Kevin's book, though it's been a while now. If you tell me the page number, there's a good chance I remember what I did and can help you further.

Best regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 07-07-2007, 10:35 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Hey Kevin -

It's the chapter on Barbie-izing, where he is overhauling Mindy, one of his models. I don't know whether it's my limited knowlege of the Pen tool or Paths or what, but it's just not coming together. I can't seem to find the book right now - my office is a mess - and I have to drop off some pictures downtown for an exhibition next week. When I get back, I'll search some more and cite the chapter and verse. The Pen tool is great with all its controls - but it is frustrating to learn!

Becoming a Friend of the Pen Tool,
Doc
(850) 712-0639

Studio One Pensacola
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 07-07-2007, 11:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocSmith View Post
Hey Kevin -

It's the chapter on Barbie-izing, where he is overhauling Mindy, one of his models. I don't know whether it's my limited knowlege of the Pen tool or Paths or what, but it's just not coming together. I can't seem to find the book right now - my office is a mess - and I have to drop off some pictures downtown for an exhibition next week. When I get back, I'll search some more and cite the chapter and verse. The Pen tool is great with all its controls - but it is frustrating to learn!

Becoming a Friend of the Pen Tool,
Doc
Hi Doc,

Yeah, at first, I found it a real challenge. Now, I find it dead easy.

To learn how to use the Pen Tool, I found the following site immensely helpful: http://www.thegoldenmean.com/technique/pen1.html

Go through the discussion, and then download and fight with the exercises. It takes a bit of patience, but once you've understood what is happening, the rest becomes easy.

As far as Ames' book is concerned, I thought you were referring to a later example. In the example you mentioned, I got through the body sculpting portion without difficulty. I hope that remains the case. I had some glitches later with the navel.

It probably wouldn't hurt for me to redo this chapter as a refresher. So if you let me know exactly where you difficulty lies, I can pay special attention.

One thing about Ames' text is that the examples are long. So you can't just jump in the middle and carry on. But as mentioned, a review might prove beneficial anyway.

Best regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 07-07-2007, 03:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Kevin -

Found it. I'm in Chapter 7, page 140-146. Another problem is that he is using Photoshop CS2 and I'm using CS3 - so some of the options just aren't there. Also, I'm making some assumptions which may not be true. By using the Pen tool and turning the path into a Stroke Path, I can somehow use that stroke path in the Liquify - Freeze filter as the Freeze boundary. It may be that the path I draw is just a guide and not a boundary, that is, as I use the Forward Warp tool the effect will continue beyond the path and not stop at the boundary. Right?

Doc
(850) 712-0639

Studio One Pensacola
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639

Old 07-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Kevin -

Found it. I'm in Chapter 7, page 140-146. Another problem is that he is using Photoshop CS2 and I'm using CS3 - so some of the options just aren't there. Also, I'm making some assumptions which may not be true. By using the Pen tool and turning the path into a Stroke Path, I can somehow use that stroke path in the Liquify - Freeze filter as the Freeze boundary. It may be that the path I draw is just a guide and not a boundary, that is, as I use the Forward Warp tool the effect will continue beyond the path and not stop at the boundary. Right?

Doc
Hi Doc,

Hmmm...I am using Adobe Photoshop CS2: The Art of Photographing Women by Kevin Ames. The relevant pages for me are 185- 192 for Body Sculpting where he turns Mindy into Barbie. I redid up to this point. Give me a half hour or so, I will complete the body sculpting section and, I hope, answer your question.

Best regards,
Kevin

Old 07-07-2007, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Kevin -

Hi Doc,

Stroking the path is just so that you can see it better. What he does is the following:

1) Create a path using the pen tool...this indicates where he wants the final shape to be

2) Strokes the path with lime green...this has the effect of making the path more visible...readily apparent soon

3) He then moves this stroked path layer behind the main image in the layers palette...critical step

4) Liquify...now, he wants to view the stroked path so that he has a guide...when in Liquify....Show Backdrop...Choose "Stroked Path" as the backdrop layer...and it should be in front....in essence, the stroked path has become a visible, upfront guide of where he wants the final shape to be

5) The Forward Warp tool is used to pull/push the skin to the Stroked Path. The stroked path doesn't form a hard boundary. It is merely a visual guide to help you along. If you are careless, you can go beyond it. From doing his exercise, he tends to use large diameter brushes with small strokes. And he often pulls the skin into the "stroked path"

The Freeze and Thaw filters are there to help you so that you don't pull skin away from other nearby areas. You only affect the desired area. The freeze and thaw are completely separate from the stroked path, other than the stroked path gives you an indication of where you want to protect nearby areas. In other words, if you are working on her arm that is near her chest, you might freeze her chest area while working on her arm to make sure it falls within the stroked path.

Does that help?

Best regards,
Kevin

Old 07-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Hmmmm... Actually my 2004 copy says CS on the cover, not CS2. Pages 185-192 are in my Chapter 9, "From Many, One : A Digital Portrait".

Anyhow, after re-reading several chapters, it's all beginning to make sense. Odd how many different ways there are to do the same thing in PS! I'll probably have some more questions about the process - it usually takes several re-reads and some incubation time for me to figure things out. Thanks for taking the time to help me!

Doc
(850) 712-0639

Studio One Pensacola
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639

Old 07-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Hi Doc,

I hope what I wrote makes sense. I understand what he is doing and why he is doing what he is doing. Ames tends show multiple approaches throughout his book as well.

From your question, I think the key is the "stroked path" just becomes a larger, more visible path to use as a guide.

Feel free to ask more questions.

Best regards,
Kevin
Last edited by Stecyk; 07-07-2007 at 06:55 PM..