Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Photographic Lighting for the PS-er
Old 07-05-2007, 11:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 53265
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to OddDuckDesigns

OddDuckDesigns is offline IP: 75.161.134.166

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Greetings all... I have been a browser on this site for awhile and am trying to get my pin-up girl chops sharpened.

I have used other photographers for my sources before, but I am trying to learn more about photography and lighting so I can be more and more in control of my artwork.

Here is my question... Since I am using my photographs as merely a starting point, is there a less expensive, but decent quality way to get what I am looking for? I know nothing about lighting sources, etc. I have a degree in Graphic Design, so i know the artsy stuff like the rule of thirds and whatnot. Now it's about the technical and equipment aspects of photography.

Any guidance or directing to sources would be of great help. Thanks in advance.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by OddDuckDesigns

Re: Photographic Lighting for the PS-er
Old 07-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddDuckDesigns View Post
Greetings all... I have been a browser on this site for awhile and am trying to get my pin-up girl chops sharpened.
I'm sorry - I'm disadvantaged in that I only speak standard English (well, unless you include Tex-Mex). Could you translate " am trying to get my pin-up girl chops sharpened"?

Is that selling an image? Enhancing your reputation? Doing better work?

Quote:
I have used other photographers for my sources before, but I am trying to learn more about photography and lighting so I can be more and more in control of my artwork. Here is my question... Since I am using my photographs as merely a starting point, is there a less expensive, but decent quality way to get what I am looking for?
How the HECK is someone reading your message supposed to guess at what kind of images you're looking for without at least some hints from you, other than "pin-up"? If you would post some images in your portfolio, or point to your work on a website, or attach a sketch or, hell, just describe what it is you're looking for, someone might be able to help. As it is, unless someone knows your work already, anything said would be a shot-in-the-dark.

Quote:
I know nothing about lighting sources, etc. I have a degree in Graphic Design, so i know the artsy stuff like the rule of thirds and whatnot. Now it's about the technical and equipment aspects of photography. Any guidance or directing to sources would be of great help. Thanks in advance.
There are a couple of ways you can do it. The hard way is like many people have done before you.... teach yourself the skills over a period of years, reading books, trying new techniques, etc.

Since (and I'm guessing here) you seem to be looking for photos to use in your graphic designs, primarily, what you might do is team up with a competent local photographer (have no idea where "Hastigns" is but unless you're in a very rural area, surely there are folks around who like to photograph pretty girls) who can (a) help you shoot the models you jointly hire (if you're looking for custom images) or (b) could provide you copies of images already shot (if you're looking for 'stock' images). There are also stock image agencies, as well as the online photo sellers, that maybe might provide what you're looking for.

The advantage of finding a local photog to cooperate with is that he can take you by the hand at a shoot and show you what's going on, and how it's set up, while helping you to get the images you want (I did exactly the same thing with a local graphics artist that was looking for some very specific images to work with, but also wanted to learn more about being able to do the photography herself. In this case, she paid for the model's fee while I provided the studio and equipment and got to shoot the model for my images).

That help any?

Old 07-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

OddDuckDesigns is offline IP: 75.161.134.166

I'm sorry... yes I guess I should be more clear on what I am looking for. I am trying to enhance my reputation and hone my skills.

I don't have anything really that I can show you at this time from my portfolio but if you are familiar with the work of Haddon Sundblom, Gil Elvgren or the like, THAT is what I am trying to recreate. The 40's, 50's, 60's style innocent, sexy, glamorous, girl-next-door type. Since I am not using the photos for anything other than a starting point, I don't need 100% wonderful quality shots... just the right lighting to help capture the mood and set the tone for the model.

I would love to work with someone directly and get some hands-on advice, but I am afraid they won't help me since I can't offer them money for their time right now. I am working with some stock pictures right now, but would love to be in control from step one. Rather than having to be at the mercy of someone else's camera.

Does that make it a bit clearer?

Thank you for your time and tips.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.118.139

So you are trying to take photos like these:

Click for larger version

This is my Porter Rockwell style of photograph

or as in this link (which you should recognize as a Gil Elvgren style):

http://www.glamour1.com/photoplog/index.php?n=346

and then you'll draw a Gil Elvgren style illustration using the photo as a starting postion. Is that correct?

Cheers,
rrfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 65.1.14.162

[quote=n5wd;253446]I'm sorry - I'm disadvantaged in that I only speak standard English (well, unless you include Tex-Mex). Could you translate " am trying to get my pin-up girl chops sharpened"?

Chops! is classic .... Chops = Teeth... Think to loose ones baby teeth and grow their adult teeth... An old school P.J. shooter might say he cut his chops on a Nikon F3 ...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 07-23-2007, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

OddDuckDesigns is offline IP: 71.220.7.140

Thanks R. Frederick Smith... THAT is what I am trying to accomplish.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Quote:
Since I am not using the photos for anything other than a starting point, I don't need 100% wonderful quality shots...
Yes you do. You don't need a clean background but thats about it. My wife is an oil painter and paints from photographs. She insists the photo be as close to perfect as possible. The difference is in what she "sees".

It would be better on you to buddy up with a local photographer, design his web site or something in trade for images.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 07-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

OddDuckDesigns is offline IP: 71.220.104.115

OK... so now that everyone is more clear on what I am trying to accomplish... HOW do I get it without spending 100's or 1,000's of dollars on equipment?

Old 07-25-2007, 05:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.118.139

Quote:
OK... so now that everyone is more clear on what I am trying to accomplish... HOW do I get it without spending 100's or 1,000's of dollars on equipment?
One way is to just set up the essential elements of a scene as for example in my earlier two examples. Use basic poster lighting. Here is a lighting shot showing this sort of light:

Click for larger version

This is the lighting that was used for both of my examples. I was using 3 strobe heads in this diagram as you can see from the comments on it. You could use hot lights if you want to and a 3 light kit can be put together for less than $100. With hotlights you'll be shooting on a tripod and at longer exposures, but that should not make any difference.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-30-2007, 06:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

OddDuckDesigns is offline IP: 71.220.104.115

Thanks RFS... and everyone else.... I really appreciate your help with this matter.