Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Need suggestion for Combining Images
Old 06-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 57569
Comments: 0

TCProd is offline IP: 68.44.114.33

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I wasn't sure where to post this -- it's certainly not glamour related. My sister asked if I could combine a photo of her daughters when they were young with one from now (they're 19 & 21). They are snapshots, so I'm not real optimistic about the quality, but I'm looking more for an artistic idea.

I'm thinking of possibly having one of them faded into the background, almost like a ghost image. Has anyone done anything like this? I'd really like to see a sample or two from someone with a bit more "vision" than I have for a little inspiration.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom Conroy Productions
New Jersey - Greater Philadelphia
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TCProd Visit TCProd's homepage! Find More Posts by TCProd

Re: Need suggestion for Combining Images
Old 06-30-2007, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.115.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCProd View Post
I wasn't sure where to post this -- it's certainly not glamour related. My sister asked if I could combine a photo of her daughters when they were young with one from now (they're 19 & 21). They are snapshots, so I'm not real optimistic about the quality, but I'm looking more for an artistic idea.

I'm thinking of possibly having one of them faded into the background, almost like a ghost image. Has anyone done anything like this? I'd really like to see a sample or two from someone with a bit more "vision" than I have for a little inspiration.

Thanks,
I do lot of these as custom work for private parties. Since they are private, I don't have the rights to show them, but I can give you some tips and pointers. I actually did one that had over 60 photos in it.

There are several approaches. One is to use a collage type software that can automate much of the procedure. You've seen some of my model work using this tool. Here is an example:

Click for larger version

The above was done with FotoFusion. Here is a link to see more about it:

http://rfredricksmith.com/link/?a=FotoFusion

The following collage was done totally in Photoshop and is quite easy to do:

Click for larger version

I just processed each of the 4 images and got it the right size. I then created an empty black image that was about 4 times the width of the 1 of the image. I then added each image of the 4 to that one as a layer (just drag the image on and it becomes a layer. I then lined then up and moved them around as close to each other as needed, even though sometimes that means they overlap (you adjust the opacity to see the overlapping amount). I then add a layer mask while holding down the Alt key to one of the layers This makes a black mask over the layer and nothing will show of that layer). Then choose a soft brush set to about 25% opacity an choose white as the color. Paint over the area where you want part of the layer to appear. It will slowly start to fade in. Paint over the same area again to see more. Remember painting with white reveals. Change to black to conceal or make corrections. You can also paint at 100% opacity and instead use some shade of gray which will give the same result. Now repeat for the other layers, if any. You can still move stuff around if needed. Well that's one of several ways to do it, so play around and have fun.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 06-30-2007, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thanks, RF, I knew I could count on a reply from you. I guess I didn't explain myself very well though. (No problem -- any excuse to look at your work is good enough for me.)

What I'll be working with is two images (I don't have them yet) of my nieces. One was taken when they were toddlers, the other is recent. The poses are similar. I'm trying to come up with a way to display them, before and after, together. My first thought is to have the toddlers faded into the background looking over the shoulders of the recent shot. Or the reverse.

I think I can handle the technical side of it, I'm just a little lost for an artistic way to present it. I was hoping that someone might have done something similar since there's nothing new under the sun.

Thanks for your quick response. I hope one of these days we'll cross paths at a workshop.

(BTW, is there a plug-in that you don't own?)

Tom Conroy Productions
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TCProd Visit TCProd's homepage! Find More Posts by TCProd

Old 07-01-2007, 01:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 71.12.72.142

Quote:

Thanks,
This is possibly similar to what you have described for what you are wanting to do by using photoshop art to create it. The models head shot here is faded into the background and her full length shot is brought into the foreground. The same techniques can be used for yours.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 07-05-2007, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

That's close to what I had in mind, Jim. With two subjects it will be a little more difficult to mask out the foreground image, so I'm hoping that the backgrounds will blend easily. Thanks.

Tom Conroy Productions

Old 07-05-2007, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 71.12.72.142

Quote:
That's close to what I had in mind, Jim. With two subjects it will be a little more difficult to mask out the foreground image, so I'm hoping that the backgrounds will blend easily. Thanks.
Not knowing just what you have to work with, blending images can be done by using a soft edge mask and making some things more transparent than others to blend them together for a different effect.

Same person throughout but images are blended together here.

View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 07-05-2007, 08:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51476

Jan Barie is offline IP: 209.202.36.233

How about posing the two girls holding a large photo frame each and simply insert a cropped version of the earlier supplied images afterwards?

Regards, Jan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jan Barie Visit Jan Barie's homepage! Find More Posts by Jan Barie

Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Jim, I've done some of the feathered blending on comp cards but I think your first photo is more like what I was visualizing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARTFORMS View Post
Not knowing just what you have to work with,
Actually, I'm not completely sure myself. I've only seen one of the two images and by the time she gets the other one to me, I'll probably be posting the result around Christmas.

Jan, that's an interesting suggestion, but I don't think I'm going to have the opportunity to shoot them. I think I'm being used primarily for Photoshop. (That's family for you.) She already has the pictures -- snapshots, not pro shots.

Tom Conroy Productions