Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Can you do this in PS?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57794
Comments: 0

3rd Coast Twist is offline IP: 163.188.53.102

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

When using the crop tool is there a way to have it show grid lines?
Ex. set the aspect ratio to the size of print you want and have Rule of Thirds grid lines over the image to help crop exactly where you want.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to 3rd Coast Twist Find More Posts by 3rd Coast Twist

Re: Can you do this in PS?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36789
Comments: 1
My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to ARTFORMS

ARTFORMS is offline IP: 24.181.61.137

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

If you put the grid lines on the image before you crop they will be there as
a guide when you use the crop tool. Crop the image and then remove the grid lines.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ARTFORMS Visit ARTFORMS's homepage! Find More Posts by ARTFORMS

Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

While you can put the grid lines on and even the rule of third grids, this won't really help you when you crop. What I do is to create a new image (with white as the background) that is smaller than the image I want to crop (but in the proportions that I feel would make a good crop). I select the whole image and then use stroke to put a border around it with a color that contrasts to the photo I'm working with. I then draw the rule of thirds grids using the line tool using that same contrasting color. I then drag this image onto the photo I want to crop. I lower the opacity of the new layer to about 50%. I move it around with the move tool and using the grid lines to see the best placement. I then open the crop tool and crop to the contrasting border I made around the new image. I then delete the new image layer. I now have a photo cropped to rule of thirds. Here is a screen shot at the point where I would be dragging around my reference grid

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41499

JimVanLuven is offline IP: 69.47.229.241

Lightroom displays the grid lines when you crop. I have not figured out how to control and lock the aspect ratio for a different ratio than the 2x3 of the original. It also functions different than Photoshop in that you don't move the crop area, but you move the picture underneath it. It is backwards from what I am used to in PS.

View Public Profile Send a private message to JimVanLuven Visit JimVanLuven's homepage! Find More Posts by JimVanLuven

Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38897
Comments: 1

tomrock is offline IP: 24.166.22.19

Jim,

There's a drowdown for the various crop ratios. You might not be seeing it because of the size of the window but if you turn off either side panel I bet it will be there.

The way cropping works in LR does take some getting used to but I've grown to prefer it over Photoshops way.

Old 04-13-2007, 08:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41499

JimVanLuven is offline IP: 69.47.229.241

Found it. Thanks!

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JimVanLuven Visit JimVanLuven's homepage! Find More Posts by JimVanLuven

Old 04-13-2007, 09:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.163.1.150

RFS -

Really cool! I had been using a Rule of Thirds action, but I was never really satisfied with the results. Your technique makes much more sense. Now about that Golden Spiral...

Doc

PS I'm not a Freemason, but a lot of these classic ratios have a foundation in that philosophy. Here's a link to a PowerPoint presentation you might enjoy.

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/symbolism/...tio/index.html
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 04-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.163.1.150

I made a couple of mods... I created a set of Rule of Thirds images in all the sizes I normally print (4 x 6, 5 x 7, 8 x10, 13 x 19 etc.), and I changed the background to Transparent. Even if you do not constrain the aspect ratios, the grids are always at the one-third and two-third coordinate positions as you fit it to the image.

Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 04-27-2007, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58183

Highbarger is offline IP: 12.226.174.36

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
While you can put the grid lines on and even the rule of third grids, this won't really help you when you crop. What I do is to create a new image (with white as the background) that is smaller than the image I want to crop (but in the proportions that I feel would make a good crop). I select the whole image and then use stroke to put a border around it with a color that contrasts to the photo I'm working with. I then draw the rule of thirds grids using the line tool using that same contrasting color. I then drag this image onto the photo I want to crop. I lower the opacity of the new layer to about 50%. I move it around with the move tool and using the grid lines to see the best placement. I then open the crop tool and crop to the contrasting border I made around the new image. I then delete the new image layer. I now have a photo cropped to rule of thirds. Here is a screen shot at the point where I would be dragging around my reference grid

Cheers,
rfs
Reading your explanation gave me an idea... why not create the 'rule of thirds' grid and save it as a custom shape. Then you just use the shape tool to draw out the shape in one easy step. When you're finished, delete the shape layer.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Highbarger Find More Posts by Highbarger

Old 04-28-2007, 01:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highbarger View Post
Reading your explanation gave me an idea... why not create the 'rule of thirds' grid and save it as a custom shape. Then you just use the shape tool to draw out the shape in one easy step. When you're finished, delete the shape layer.
That might work. I've never tried it. I didn't go into great detail on my previous post, but I have two existing images with the grids already drawn on them. One is white with black lines and border and the other is 18% gray with white lines and border. I then load one or the other, and drag it on to the photo to be worked with. I then press Ctrl T to go into the Free Transform mode and and resize the layer to taste and then start dragging it around. This works very well and is very flexible because I can constrain the proportions of the layer or not depending on the cropping effect that I want.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith