Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
PS CS2 Question on Merge
Old 04-10-2007, 03:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi,

Although I am reasonably conversant with PS Elements, I am new to CS2. I am working my way through a book and it has a step that gives the following instruction:

All the work on this file is finished. Create a new layer at the top of the layer stack. Name it Final. Merge the visible layers to Final. The final layer contains the layers Background, Retouch, Highlights, Retouch 2, Eraser Vignette (hidden), Vignette, and Final.

I am familiar with Layer | Merge Layers, Merge Visible, and Flatten Image options. But those all collapse the list of layers. In this particular example, the new layer "Final" is at the top of the stack and it contains all the information from the layers beneath it. My question is, how do I "Merge the visible layers to Final?"

Thank you.

Regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Re: PS CS2 Question on Merge
Old 04-10-2007, 03:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

If the instruction is saying what it means, then you simply select the layers that are to be merged, and then select merge layers, and they will all become one layer called Final. But it is intending for those layers to continue to be there, then it is probably wanting you to form a group of layers. In that case you would select all the layers, and then choose Group Layers from the Layers menu. They will now form a group called Group 1 and you would rename it to Final. You can click on the little icon (downpointing triangle) at the left side of the layer to toggle the visibility of the grouped layers below it.
So it really depends on what they mean. Of course, it that's what they wanted, then why didn't they say it? What is the name of the book?
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-10-2007, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55407
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to natalia.Taffarel Send a message via Skype™ to natalia.Taffarel

natalia.Taffarel is offline IP: 201.212.203.39

Actually you can merge everything into a new layer on top of the rest, simply create that layer "final" and then: ctrl+Alt+Shift+E And you have it!

The merge and the other layers intact
  View Public Profile Send a private message to natalia.Taffarel Visit natalia.Taffarel's homepage! Find More Posts by natalia.Taffarel

Old 04-10-2007, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
If the instruction is saying what it means, then you simply select the layers that are to be merged, and then select merge layers, and they will all become one layer called Final. But it is intending for those layers to continue to be there, then it is probably wanting you to form a group of layers. In that case you would select all the layers, and then choose Group Layers from the Layers menu. They will now form a group called Group 1 and you would rename it to Final. You can click on the little icon (downpointing triangle) at the left side of the layer to toggle the visibility of the grouped layers below it.
So it really depends on what they mean. Of course, it that's what they wanted, then why didn't they say it? What is the name of the book?
Cheers,
rfs
Hi Roger,

The name of the book is The Art of Photographing Women by Kevin Ames.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photosho...6241676&sr=8-1

I sent an email to Kevin and he was kind enough to reply to that question as well as a couple others.

The answer is (for CS2), Control + Alt + Shift + E makes a copy of the visible layers to a new layer that appears above the active layer.

I am just wrapping up Chapter 6, of the 14 chapters. Overall, I am impressed with the book because it is thorough and detailed. The first 6 chapters are focused on workflow and some PS 2 basics. This book is literally the first book I am using for CS2. (Prior to CS2, I was using PS Elements.) Thus, the first part of the book is excellent for me because it provides the essential information for the remaining chapters.

The remaining chapters address more traditional Photoshop techniques for glamour.

One thing I am struggling is learning how to use the pen tool effectively. I have a suspicion that many don't use it a lot. But I want to try and master it, if possible. For those interested, here's a good site:

http://www.thegoldenmean.com/technique/pen1.html

Best regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 04-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia.Taffarel View Post
Actually you can merge everything into a new layer on top of the rest, simply create that layer "final" and then: ctrl+Alt+Shift+E And you have it!

The merge and the other layers intact
Yes, thank you! I saw your reply after I responded to RFS.

Best regards,
Kevin

Old 04-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.172.202

What is the benefit of either of these techniques?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 04-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgphoto View Post
What is the benefit of either of these techniques?
The "final" layer? As I understand it, you can do further modifications on this final layer without having to tweak the underlying layers. For example, if you worked on Model A and came back a year later with some desired modifications, you could begin working from the final layer. The book hints that I will learn more about this layer in the proceeding chapters. Perhaps Natalia can provide additional input?

The "pen" tool? From my quick understanding, it can be a superior way to define or select a shape. It is more precise and and it is scalable. By scalable, I mean that if you define a shape, it is a vector, so it can be easily scaled up or down.

The website hinted that if you are trying to select an object where the contrast is weak, PS might have difficulty. But using the pen tool, it should be quick and accurate.

I am not sure I provided good answers. Perhaps Natalia or others can jump in.

Best regards,
Kevin
Last edited by Stecyk; 04-10-2007 at 07:43 PM..

Old 04-10-2007, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55407
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to natalia.Taffarel Send a message via Skype™ to natalia.Taffarel

natalia.Taffarel is offline IP: 201.212.203.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stecyk View Post

I am not sure I provided good answers. Perhaps Natalia or others can jump in.

Best regards,
Kevin
You did great

The pen tool is the only selection tool I use.

It takes longer, but I can't begin to compare the results.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to natalia.Taffarel Visit natalia.Taffarel's homepage! Find More Posts by natalia.Taffarel

Old 04-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalia.Taffarel View Post
You did great

The pen tool is the only selection tool I use.

It takes longer, but I can't begin to compare the results.
Thank you Natalia.

I am struggling with the pen. It doesn't seem intuitive to me yet. I am playing with the examples on that web page mentioned earlier.

Old 04-11-2007, 01:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 69.235.137.36

Thank you.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto