Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Another Skin Retouch
Old 04-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55407
Comments: 0
Send a message via MSN to natalia.Taffarel Send a message via Skype™ to natalia.Taffarel

natalia.Taffarel is offline IP: 201.212.203.39

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You must be really sick of me now... but I'm building my portfolio and I need a lot of criticism.

C&C Welcome!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to natalia.Taffarel Visit natalia.Taffarel's homepage! Find More Posts by natalia.Taffarel

Re: Another Skin Retouch
Old 04-04-2007, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My initial reactions is that there is a certain unevenness about the PS work. For example, look at the area between the eye on the right and the eyebrow where the pores of the skin are still very prominent and yet other areas of the skin have the pores completely smoothed out. I think portions of the image are a bit over sharpened. The lips have a better color in the left version but because of the "too sharp" nature of the PS work, they don't have as nice a texture as the one on the right. I always like these kinds of facial makeovers to be subtle enough that they don't jump out at you as PS work. These have a little of that "jump out" feel to me. Here is an example of how I often like to approach this kind of thing:

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 04-04-2007, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Send a message via MSN to natalia.Taffarel Send a message via Skype™ to natalia.Taffarel

I see your point about the sharper pores, but no part of my image has been smoothed out. With your post production you have as an end result a blotchy and soft focus skin, and that's not what I want my image to look like.

This is one for Loreal (I didn't tryed to imitate this look, obviously, just found it and posted here to show pores and texture) and If you look at the pores are really small and sharp like the ones on my retouch.

The point is to get a really polished skin with all the nature texture still there and really sharp, no glausian blur at all.

Maybe I should have posted WHERE I was going, what I was trying to achieve.

Thanks for your thoughts
  View Public Profile Send a private message to natalia.Taffarel Visit natalia.Taffarel's homepage! Find More Posts by natalia.Taffarel

Old 04-04-2007, 09:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 56509
Send a message via Yahoo to DDCStudios

DDCStudios is offline IP: 68.102.125.77

OUTSTANDING!!! you're gonna share the technique right??? lol

WOW!!!!!!!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DDCStudios Visit DDCStudios's homepage! Find More Posts by DDCStudios

Old 04-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57919
Comments: 1

kgphoto is offline IP: 68.125.148.63

I think you have got real good chops, but there is something too metallic to the highlights which gives it a "phony' look. I also don't personally care for the granular look around the eyes. The eyelashes are great, but I prefer the iris and lip color in the un-retouched versions . There is a misplaced highlight in the model's left eye bottom.

I hope that is not too much C&C for you.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to kgphoto Find More Posts by kgphoto

Old 04-04-2007, 10:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

KG

I didn't notice the misplaced highlight I have to fix it. Thank! you have good eye for detail.

About the metallic highlights... also true... but I like them like that. I want my images to shine like there's no tomorrow, but it's not to everyone's taste

The granular look... I really have to find another way of making the make-up pop... I wanted to give it some texture and depth... I'll try another technique on it.

And about the C&C: NO... It's never inoff! there's always room for the third part's point of view, criticism and comments.

We learn something new every day.

Thanks again for looking. Keep the C&C comming

Old 04-04-2007, 11:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Natalia,

Great retouch work.

One subtle comment though. I should preface my comment in that I am not sure that it is correct.

When I look at the original image, the catchlights give me the impression that the lights are off in the distance.

When I look at the retouched image, the catchlights give me the impression that the lights are located near the camera. It almost seems as though the light is reflecting directly back at me.

Again, not sure if my comments are correct. See if you and others agree.

Great work Natalia.

Regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 04-05-2007, 12:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54002

Saltwater Servitude is offline IP: 24.26.239.240

Perhaps it just me, but the finished image looks like an antiseptic mannequin's face. JMO, but you've removed the personality out of the face and replaced it with something foreign and unsatisfying. I look at the L'oreal shot, and there remains a softness about it that belies a personality to the model which smiles at you from the image.

In your original image I can see the thoughtfulness of the model's gaze. In the second image I see a wax-like reproduction of the original.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Saltwater Servitude Visit Saltwater Servitude's homepage! Find More Posts by Saltwater Servitude

Old 04-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 74.36.20.217

FWIW, I love it!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltwater Servitude View Post
Perhaps it just me, but the finished image looks like an antiseptic mannequin's face. JMO, but you've removed the personality out of the face and replaced it with something foreign and unsatisfying. I look at the L'oreal shot, and there remains a softness about it that belies a personality to the model which smiles at you from the image.

In your original image I can see the thoughtfulness of the model's gaze. In the second image I see a wax-like reproduction of the original.
You know... It's very true

Is to hard and rough right?

I'll keep working on this one untill she is back to her sweet soft self.

Thanks for your comment