Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Photoshop performance ok i don't get this (please help?)
Old 03-23-2007, 10:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 52513
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to TJPhotoGuy

TJPhotoGuy is offline IP: 207.71.25.66

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok, I don't get this.

On my old computer, which was a 2.8Gzh Pentium, older model toshiba, photoshop ran really slow, there wwere "lags" when i would click around in a big image. Not bad, but there.

My new computer screams when editing photos... it's a 3.4ghz with a gig of ram, 7200rpm drive etc.

Yet for some reason, batching files runs MUCh slower on the new machine. I've tried to figure out why but can't see anything. Same batch from the same action too. All I'm doing is this:

"Generate proofs" action"
open raw file
fit image to 450
create text later
write "proof"
change opacity to 45%
flatten
save

That's it. But ANY batch I do will run slow like this, not just this one. It's driving me crazy cuz just to batch proofs of about 40 images (about what I shoot for a given photo session) takes like 45min! That's crazy.

ANY ideas?? Help a brotha out here! lol

Thanks
  View Public Profile Visit TJPhotoGuy's homepage! Find More Posts by TJPhotoGuy

Re: Photoshop performance ok i don't get this (please help?)
Old 03-23-2007, 12:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Need more info. For example, what are your preference settings for the scratch disk, what OS, how is the virtual memory on the OS set up, etc. Also, how much memory did you allocate to PS in preferences. Keep in mind that having the scratch disk on a separate hard drive will make a big difference.

Note: depending on your camera, and type of RAW file, you might not need to open the RAW file directly in the process, but could just extract the embedded JPG which is usually 1500x1000 and is more than adequate for the proofing stage of showing photos.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Need more info. For example, what are your preference settings for the scratch disk, what OS, how is the virtual memory on the OS set up, etc. Also, how much memory did you allocate to PS in preferences. Keep in mind that having the scratch disk on a separate hard drive will make a big difference.
All of that stuff is FAR, far better on this new machine. I'm using a ramdisk for my scratch files Photoshop ram is set to be 80%. While this process is running, i I have TONS of ram left (per the task manager)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Note: depending on your camera, and type of RAW file, you might not need to open the RAW file directly in the process, but could just extract the embedded JPG which is usually 1500x1000 and is more than adequate for the proofing stage of showing photos.
Ooh, interesting suggestion; how do I do that? What's weird though is that, again, everything is the same, and on the old computer this process (and all batch processes actually) ran much faster, although everything else on this computer except batching is faster. Same photoshop version, everything (version 7). I'm usinga 20d.

Thanks for the suggestions... not sure how to just extract the file. I was also thinking that it would be kewl if I could do this without even opening/displaying the image at all, kinda like how you update your raw settings, that's real fast.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPhotoGuy View Post
All of that stuff is FAR, far better on this new machine. I'm using a ramdisk for my scratch files Photoshop ram is set to be 80%. While this process is running, i I have TONS of ram left (per the task manager)

Ooh, interesting suggestion; how do I do that? What's weird though is that, again, everything is the same, and on the old computer this process (and all batch processes actually) ran much faster, although everything else on this computer except batching is faster. Same photoshop version, everything (version 7). I'm usinga 20d.

Thanks for the suggestions... not sure how to just extract the file. I was also thinking that it would be kewl if I could do this without even opening/displaying the image at all, kinda like how you update your raw settings, that's real fast.
If you are using a RAM disk for your scratch drive, then that may be your problem. The scratch disk may need as high as 5 to 10 gb in use for maximum performance. If you only have 1gb of memory, then the RAM drive must be very small --- too small for the scratch disk and also you would have memory competition at this point so the OS will be using the virtual memory of the system more aggressively. The scratch disk needs to be a 2nd hard drive (and not the hard drive where the images or are being written to (that is if you want maximum speed). Also the scratch disk should have adequate unused space (about 1/3 to 1/2 empty) and be well defragged.

If you are using the 20D, then each RAW image has the 1500x1000 JPG embedded in it. I use BreezeBrowser Pro and it will extract these from the file in a flash. When shooting weddings, I often extract the embedded JPGs directly off all the images on the CF card so I can show them during the reception in a slide show. It takes 8 minutes to copy the RAW files from a 1GB card to the laptop (which is too long in a wedding environment), but less than 90 seconds to just extract the JPGS.

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

I'm sorry, I misudnerstood your question about "scratch" disk. what I mean was, I use a ramdisk to "write" these files to. My "photoshop scratch drive" is C:\ which is the same as it was on the old computer...

I'll try breezebrowser. I'm just at a loss as to why this is so slow on my newer, much faster computer... Thanks again

Old 03-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPhotoGuy View Post
I'm sorry, I misudnerstood your question about "scratch" disk. what I mean was, I use a ramdisk to "write" these files to. My "photoshop scratch drive" is C:\ which is the same as it was on the old computer...

I'll try breezebrowser. I'm just at a loss as to why this is so slow on my newer, much faster computer... Thanks again
A "ramdisk" or "ram drive" is a virtual hard drive that exists in memory and is managed by a driver which makes a block of your memory (RAM) look like its a hard drive. Obviously that takes away memory from the system because it would be locked. In the old DOS days we used RamDisks all the time for various reasons.

There must be some other factor causing your slow down. Have you tried resetting your preferences? The other possible reason is that PS 7 did some direct usage of special command built into the Intel Pentium chips and if you change systems, then possibly the use of those calls is not now possible and that could cause a slow down for some specialized functions. Anyway, these are just guesses. Usually when I have some unexplained slowdown, I just uninstall the product and then do a fresh install.

Cheers,
rfs

Old 03-23-2007, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Yeah I could try re-installing... I might try that actually.

I was using ramdisks on Atari 8-bit computers I know they take away ram from the application, but if you have plenty, obviously they are thousands of times faster than disk.