Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Question about DPP (digital photo pro)
Old 03-19-2007, 10:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Member GG#: 52513
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to TJPhotoGuy

TJPhotoGuy is offline IP: 207.71.25.66

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Does anyone know how to do this?

I use digital photo professional and what I'd like to do is, take a shot of a grey card, and have it use that white balance as the value "going forward" from then on while capture.

Thanks
  View Public Profile Visit TJPhotoGuy's homepage! Find More Posts by TJPhotoGuy

Re: Question about DPP (digital photo pro)
Old 03-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPhotoGuy View Post
Does anyone know how to do this?

I use digital photo professional and what I'd like to do is, take a shot of a grey card, and have it use that white balance as the value "going forward" from then on while capture.

Thanks
Its not clear at all what you're asking. Are you talking about DPP that comes with a Canon Digital SLR camera? Are you wanting to take a gray card reference shot in camera, and then set the WB for a group of photos shot in the same light as the gray card? Are you shooting in RAW? If not in RAW, did you want to set the camera's WB using Custom WB and the gray card as the reference shot? As you can see -- lots of questions about your question.

Just a shot in the dark. Here is what I often do. If shooting in a given lighting set, I use a Black/Gray/White card to zero in on the exposure using the camera's histogram. I then use the final target shot to set the camera's CWB. When I bring these shots into the RAW converter at a later date, I use the target shot to set the black and white points and then find tune that shot. I then synchronize the whole set to that shot, and work from there.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48023
Comments: 1

bc_shutterbug is offline IP: 70.66.195.104

Best I can offer for this is to shoot everything in RAW, and using DPP setup the 'recipe' for the gray card, right click to copy the recipe to the clipboard, select all images and paste the recipe to the remaining images. I don't know of any way to do it while shooting, except to setup the white balance right in camera and shoot away.

Hope this helps a little.

njw
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Old 03-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Its not clear at all what you're asking.
It's not?

Quote:
Are you talking about DPP that comes with a Canon Digital SLR camera?
yes, of coruse - "Digital Photo Professional"

Quote:
Are you wanting to take a gray card reference shot in camera, and then set the WB for a group of photos shot in the same light as the gray card?
Yes that's pretty much it; but I don't want to have to "batch apply" them at a later time, I want to see the true colors right then and there for every shot until I change it again with another grey card reference shot.

Quote:
Just a shot in the dark. Here is what I often do. If shooting in a given lighting set, I use a Black/Gray/White card to zero in on the exposure using the camera's histogram.
Not sure what a grey card has to do with exposure; ? I use a light meter when in the studio.

Quote:
I then use the final target shot to set the camera's CWB. When I bring these shots into the RAW converter at a later date, I use the target shot to set the black and white points and then find tune that shot. I then synchronize the whole set to that shot, and work from there.
That's what I"ve been doing also; but I don't like having to do that, I'd rather see it immediately in true color form.Maybe there's not a way to do this?? Seems like it should be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_shutterbug View Post
Best I can offer for this is to shoot everything in RAW, and using DPP setup the 'recipe' for the gray card, right click to copy the recipe to the clipboard, select all images and paste the recipe to the remaining images. I don't know of any way to do it while shooting, except to setup the white balance right in camera and shoot away.

Hope this helps a little.

njw
Thanks... that's what I do now though, but I do it in photoshop. Was hoping to have the wb set in "real time." As for using a "custom white balance and shooting away" as far as I know, that doesn't work with raw, you have to actually set them in post processing. I've tried using CWB and it never comes out anywhere close to shooting a grey card...

Old 03-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Ok. What you do is shoot the reference card and then you set the camera to use that reference shot as the CWB. I use the 20D and first I shoot the reference shot by filling the frame with the gray card (really just the center partial metering circle should be in the gray area completely. I then use the camera's menu to choose that as the reference shot for CWB. I then set the camera to use CWB and all of the shots in that session will now be properly white balanced and show up nicely on the LCD. By the way, be sure to set the LCD brightness to fairly low so that you'll get a more accurate picture of what the scene is looking like.
I've been doing this for years with the 10D and now the 20D and it works perfectly. You can shoot RAW or JPG when using CWB. The only difference is that in RAW, you can then much more easily choose the WB in post processing than with JPG.
Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-19-2007, 02:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Ok. What you do is shoot the reference card and then you set the camera to use that reference shot as the CWB. I use the 20D and first I shoot the reference shot by filling the frame with the gray card (really just the center partial metering circle should be in the gray area completely. I then use the camera's menu to choose that as the reference shot for CWB.
That's weird because I tried that years ago using that same technique before and it didn't work - the colors come out wrong. I asked around and was told that when shooting raw, white balance settings don't apply. In fact, right n the manual for the 20d, it says if you're shooting RAW, that the white balance settings don't even apply, and you have to fix it in post-production software.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPhotoGuy View Post
That's weird because I tried that years ago using that same technique before and it didn't work - the colors come out wrong. I asked around and was told that when shooting raw, white balance settings don't apply. In fact, right n the manual for the 20d, it says if you're shooting RAW, that the white balance settings don't even apply, and you have to fix it in post-production software.
There is a lot the manual doesn't say. When shooting RAW, here's what happens:

1. You shoot the Photo.
2. At this point all the image data is in the camera's memory buffer. This all happens in a split second.
3. Now the camera creates 1500x1000 JPG image in its memory buffer and it displays this on the LCD. It applies the camera parameters and WB (including CWB if any) to the JPG. So what you see in the preview on the LCD is the White balanced image and the results of any parameter settings.
4. It writes the RAW data to the card. Imbedded in the RAW data is the above JPG file (which has been corrected as indicated above).

With the right software, you can even extract that JPG image later for fast preview. I use the imbedded JPGs for showing a slide show of the shots shown during a wedding (for example), during the reception because they can be extracted so quickly (about 90 seconds for a 1gb full CF card).

Now as far as the WB settings being applied to the RAW image, that is mostly true. They are not. The RAW image has all the data that was in the scene that the camera could capture. However, when you first preview the RAW image in outside programs, some of them will give you the preview based on the imbedded JPG while others will do a quick post process to generate a JPG. This may or may not use the WB settings. Each piece of software is different.

Cheers,
rfs

Old 03-19-2007, 03:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
There is a lot the manual doesn't say. When shooting RAW, here's what happens:

3. Now the camera creates 1500x1000 JPG image in its memory buffer and it displays this on the LCD. It applies the camera parameters and WB (including CWB if any) to the JPG. So what you see in the preview on the LCD is the White balanced image and the results of any parameter settings.
Wow that's interesting, didn't know down to that detail what it was doing. Thanks. That also would explain why images correct with a grey card look fine on the little screen but totally messed up when you view the raw file.

[quote=R_Fredrick_Smith;246822]Now as far as the WB settings being applied to the RAW image, that is mostly true. They are not. The RAW image has all the data that was in the scene that the camera could capture. However, when you first preview the RAW image in outside programs, some of them will give you the preview based on the imbedded JPG while others will do a quick post process to generate a JPG. This may or may not use the WB settings. Each piece of software is different.

Yeah I had to learn that the hard way I kept wondering why my custom wb wasn't working! LMAO... I pulled half my hair out on that one. the first time I correct to a grey card I was like oh wow.. much better lol.

I just wish I could tell the capture software "here's a grey card - use this .xmp file for raw settings from here on out until I tell ya otherwise".

Old 03-19-2007, 03:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
I just wish I could tell the capture software "here's a grey card - use this .xmp file for raw settings from here on out until I tell ya otherwise".
You can, depending on what RAW conversion software you use. For example in ACR (the one in Photoshop CS2), for example, you can bring in the first image of the set, with the gray, card, and tweak the shot for perfect white balance including white and black points. Then you synronize all of the shots in that session to the one reference shot and they all magiacally change before your eyes.
Cheers,
rfs

Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
You can, depending on what RAW conversion software you use. For example in ACR (the one in Photoshop CS2), for example, you can bring in the first image of the set, with the gray, card, and tweak the shot for perfect white balance including white and black points. Then you synronize all of the shots in that session to the one reference shot and they all magiacally change before your eyes.
Cheers,
rfs
Ya, that's what I've been doing for the last 2 years... but what I "want" to do, is hve the wb set from a reference, and any future shots I take with dpp while connected will use "that' white balance until I use another grey reference, at which point the process will repeat... hope that makes sense.