Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Portrait Professional 4
Old 02-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48023
Comments: 1

bc_shutterbug is offline IP: 70.66.195.104

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I came across this great little tool today and wanted to share it with you.

It's called Portrait Professional 4, and is currently on sale at $40US. In short it's a smart processor for face sculpting as well as skin fixing, and makes very easy and short work of post processing for certain images. It's only real drawback is that it requires an internet connection to do some of the processing, and license confirmation, and is not available (yet) as a stand-alone product. However, from my initial tests, it's impressive! The sample below took a whole 3 minutes to setup and process.

Here's one of my first tests... your comments are appreciated.

before:

After:

Cheers!
njw
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug
Last edited by bc_shutterbug; 02-28-2007 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: replaced second image after spending a few minutes learning the various adjustments

Re: Portrait Professional 4
Old 02-27-2007, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I played with it several months ago and posted some notes on it then. The main thing I found was that in the same amount of time, I could do the same type of corrections directly in Photoshop and at the end would have a layered PSD which I could make future changes to and the process was totally non-destructive. Also, if the internet is slow, or goes down, or they go out of business, then you'll have problems. I think its better to develope a good Photoshop set of skills and workflow and then you'll always be able to meet any challenge.
Also, about your example, I think its a little overdone. There are some controls that let you vary the amount of correction it does. I would roll it back a bit. Also I find that it does not treat other skin in the shot so often you'll have non face skin looking different than the skin on the face.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54108
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to DavidsStudio

DavidsStudio is offline IP: 66.25.130.63

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_shutterbug View Post
I came across this great little tool today and wanted to share it with you.

It's called Portrait Professional 4, and is currently on sale at $40US. In short it's a smart processor for face sculpting as well as skin fixing, and makes very easy and short work of post processing for certain images. It's only real drawback is that it requires an internet connection to do some of the processing, and license confirmation, and is not available (yet) as a stand-alone product. However, from my initial tests, it's impressive! The sample below took a whole 3 minutes to setup and process.

Here's one of my first tests... your comments are appreciated.

njw
I'd recommend you watch this series of tutorials on YouTube and ante up the $20.00 for the powder action that she is using. Not only will the tutorials show you how to use the action, it will give you a good workflow/set of skills for Photoshop that will transfer to other types of work.
PhotoshopMama

Best

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidsStudio Visit DavidsStudio's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidsStudio

Old 02-28-2007, 03:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57390

kennymc is offline IP: 81.104.158.205

I have and use this stand alone version 4.1.3 (£19.95 UK) when there are multiple people in an image... I then find it a lot quicker than creating layers and masks for multiple people images...

Old 02-28-2007, 03:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48023

bc_shutterbug is offline IP: 70.66.195.104

RFS: Thanks for the (as always) excellent feedback. I've replaced the after image with one that is toned down now that I've had a 1/2 hour to play with the product a bit. I agree with your points totally, but I am not there yet with PS and this seems to offer a decent option for those images that I'll process in this manner until I develop the skills more. Which leads me to David's suggested link which I plan to spend some time with this weekend. Looks like a great resource. Many thanks.

Kenny: Are you sure it's stand-alone? I have the same version (and paid about the same price = $40US) but their FAQ states that they don't offer a version that will operate without the internet connection (unless they have to take the servers offline).

Thanks to all for taking time to comment.

Cheers
njw
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Old 02-28-2007, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.227.80

David, that was interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm curious about the powder action and I assume you bought it. How is it creating the powder kit? I'm curious because I'm wondering how it works with different skin types from pale to black. Can you provide some insight into what the action is doing?

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 02-28-2007, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57390

kennymc is offline IP: 81.104.158.205

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_shutterbug View Post
R

Kenny: Are you sure it's stand-alone? I have the same version (and paid about the same price = $40US) but their FAQ states that they don't offer a version that will operate without the internet connection (unless they have to take the servers offline).

Thanks to all for taking time to comment.

Cheers
njw
Sorry my misinterpretation of the word 'stand alone'... To me that means a program that I access from my computer which is not a plug in for another program on my computer... You are indeed correct it only works via an internet connection and that they will only let you download the actual algorithms if they go out of bussiness... This is to stop people from ripping them off... Sorry...

Old 02-28-2007, 03:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1 View Post
David, that was interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm curious about the powder action and I assume you bought it. How is it creating the powder kit? I'm curious because I'm wondering how it works with different skin types from pale to black. Can you provide some insight into what the action is doing?
I have the power action and use it for a variety of photos. As you've probably guessed by now, I tend to try almost everything, and buy many of the better items for use in my PS work. The powder action works just fine on all skin tones. It is a very complex action which creates the powder layer. The action also comes with a powder plus sharpening action which, when used puts two new layer groups on top of the original photo. You then paint in the sharpness you want and then apply a powder base to the face and other exposed skin. Then you use opacity to dial in how much coverup you want. If you go through all of her tutorials you'll see it applied to fair and dark skinned subjects.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54108
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to DavidsStudio

DavidsStudio is offline IP: 66.25.130.63

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1 View Post
I think RFS gave you as good an answer as you would have gotten from me. Good going RFS as always.

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidsStudio Visit DavidsStudio's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidsStudio

Old 03-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.227.80

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I have the power action and use it for a variety of photos. As you've probably guessed by now, I tend to try almost everything, and buy many of the better items for use in my PS work. The powder action works just fine on all skin tones. It is a very complex action which creates the powder layer. The action also comes with a powder plus sharpening action which, when used puts two new layer groups on top of the original photo. You then paint in the sharpness you want and then apply a powder base to the face and other exposed skin. Then you use opacity to dial in how much coverup you want. If you go through all of her tutorials you'll see it applied to fair and dark skinned subjects.

Cheers,
rfs
Thanks RFS, you do seem to have it all. I'm thinking Mrs. RFS might need to have a talk with Mrs. LSC so I can get my budget up a little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsStudio View Post
I think RFS gave you as good an answer as you would have gotten from me. Good going RFS as always.

David
Yep, if RFS got it and liked it (didn't think it was clunky and overpriced) then that's a good reference for me. Thanks again for the link David.

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1