Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Making skin pure white without loss of texture
Old 01-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56425
Comments: 0

zelusphotography is offline IP: 70.113.23.161

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to color a person's skin pure white without any loss in texture. Short of using white airbrushed body paint, I have no idea how to do it.

I hope it is not against the rules to post a picture by someone else I found on the web but it is exactly what I'd like to do.

Credits for this picture are to >>> filizofia.com

View Public Profile Send a private message to zelusphotography Find More Posts by zelusphotography

Re: Making skin pure white without loss of texture
Old 01-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.110.89.184

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well, to get pure whit skin, I'd recommend either metering off of something a bit darker than the model's skin, to white it out, or in Photoshop, work with your curves until you get the desired effect.

Isaiah

Old 01-08-2007, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56425

zelusphotography is offline IP: 70.113.23.161

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahbrink View Post
Well, to get pure whit skin, I'd recommend either metering off of something a bit darker than the model's skin, to white it out, or in Photoshop, work with your curves until you get the desired effect.

Isaiah
Hi Isaiah,

I tried to use the curves but could get nowhere close to the image I posted above. The closest I got was by only looking at the RED Channel, which appeared monocromatic but the skin was still a little gray. If you look at the shot above it looks like she was painted white... but I am wondering whether you can maintain the texture, shadows, etc but simply have white instead of pink (skin color).

Any other ideas? Shall I go get a body paint kit?

How about Channel Mixer - Monochrome, or Infrared photography?

thanks!
Alessandro
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zelusphotography Find More Posts by zelusphotography

Old 01-09-2007, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.110.89.184

Well, maybe a body paint artist would be the best bet. Looks like you've checked the curves route. If I remember correctly from my classes, a zone 2 grey will be the closest to white (zone 0) you'll be able to achieve while retianing the detail. I hope that you reach your desired effect, becuase if it's like the image you've posted, it'll be something to see. Oh, IMO, the image you posted is really nice. There's still seperation between the head scarf and the background.

Isaiah

Old 01-09-2007, 06:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55407
Send a message via MSN to natalia.Taffarel Send a message via Skype™ to natalia.Taffarel

natalia.Taffarel is offline IP: 201.212.203.206

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelusphotography View Post
Hi Isaiah,

I tried to use the curves but could get nowhere close to the image I posted above. The closest I got was by only looking at the RED Channel, which appeared monocromatic but the skin was still a little gray. If you look at the shot above it looks like she was painted white... but I am wondering whether you can maintain the texture, shadows, etc but simply have white instead of pink (skin color).

Any other ideas? Shall I go get a body paint kit?

How about Channel Mixer - Monochrome, or Infrared photography?

thanks!
Alessandro

Hey, I'll do it for you and then tell you how. Because there's no ONE WAY or ONE FILTER or ONE PROCESS that's going to do this in 5 minutes, usually a lot of layer blending is necesary.

If you're interested (I wont charge you anithing) e mail me: ntaffarel at ciudad.com.ar

Ohh... I seee it's much softer that what I've done... Let me get back to you on this one.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to natalia.Taffarel Visit natalia.Taffarel's homepage! Find More Posts by natalia.Taffarel
Last edited by natalia.Taffarel; 01-09-2007 at 07:41 AM..

Old 01-10-2007, 11:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56341

MrFluffy is offline IP: 195.224.16.135

I shot this as a normal high key shot then used the channel mixer and levels to get the final result.

Fluffytek Photographic Art Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MrFluffy Visit MrFluffy's homepage! Find More Posts by MrFluffy

Copyright...and fair usage...
Old 01-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 207.6.163.136

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelusphotography View Post
I hope it is not against the rules to post a picture by someone else I found on the web but it is exactly what I'd like to do...Credits for this picture are to >>> filizofia.com
We've seen many discussions (and tirades) regarding people copying others' work. But in this case I think this runs in the Fair Use provision. At least you added the Credit.

You probaly would have been better off to supply a direct link to the image instead of copying it though.

In regards to your question about white skin I have no great suggestion. It looks like you tried the manipulation method. I wonder if this is Infrared?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45005

FilmDingo is offline IP: 70.114.36.37

The giveaway that it's makeup is the textued eyebrows with clumped paint in them. It's a faster shoot to paint her than mess with the lighting for that many shades of white when you are trying to nuke the skin for the white look.

However, getting that print will still take some work with highlights and contrast so you get shades and detail instead of just blown out white.

I've done prints like this in photoshop and it's not as good a result as starting with makeup first.

PS this is a pretty simple makeup process and easy to clean up from. I've never had anyone balk at doing it. Your model could probably do it herself in a pinch.

I'm shooting tommorrow night, I'll see if the MUA has time for some fun and games after the job.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to FilmDingo Find More Posts by FilmDingo

Re: Copyright...and fair usage...
Old 01-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.165.240

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWeiner View Post
We've seen many discussions (and tirades) regarding people copying others' work. But in this case I think this runs in the Fair Use provision. At least you added the Credit.

You probably would have been better off to supply a direct link to the image instead of copying it though.
I think its perfectly okay to provide a link to a reference photo (as you suggest - but see my remarks below). But if one posts the actual photo, then each view of the post costs the owner of that photo bandwidth on their website and the owner gets no benefit from the website traffic. What many sites do when they reference a photo is to post a small thumbnail of the reference photo and then that thumbnail links to the website and the larger image.

But having said the above, I still wonder how exactly Rule 8 of the guidelines

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/view.php?pg=guidelines

for the G1 forums would figure into this case. Rule 8 says no posting of links to photos on other websites, and says they should instead be hosted here. But the photo in question could not be hosted here since its not the poster's photo. So its a bit vague and leaves people always wondering what they should do in this type of situation.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-10-2007, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.165.240

In my opinion this is all done in the camera and with makeup and lighting. The photographer has a whole page of these on his website and they look to me just like a very highkey lighting setup rather than any extensive photoshop.

http://www.filizofia.com/index.php?go=gallery&nr=9

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith