Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
New laptop recomendations
Old 12-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41995
Comments: 0

photoefx is offline IP: 72.130.251.185

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I will be getting a new laptop in a few days. It will mainly be used to take on location to show clients what we have. I don't play vidio games or anything. I just want plenty of storage for photoshop CS2, good battery life and a screen with good resolution. Is there anything else I should be looking for? Any recomendations from other professional photographers would be great.
Thank's
Bill
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoefx Find More Posts by photoefx

Re: New laptop recomendations
Old 12-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavatown View Post
I will be getting a new laptop in a few days. It will mainly be used to take on location to show clients what we have. I don't play vidio games or anything. I just want plenty of storage for photoshop CS2, good battery life and a screen with good resolution. Is there anything else I should be looking for? Any recomendations from other professional photographers would be great.
Thank's
Bill
Laptops are often a moving target, especially in the last year or so. If you plan to edit photos with CS2, then you need at least 1gb or RAM, 2gb is even better. You need a faster hard drive (and bigger). So look for the drives with faster rpm and also Sata drives seem to be a bit faster. Battery power is always a major issue and generally if you can find one that give 2.5 to 3 hours you're doing pretty well. I always use a second battery for mine. I am finding more and more that there are always places to plug them in almost everywhere, so always take advantage of a nearby plug to top off your battery (get batteries with no memory). I always carry an external mouse to plug into the unit and an extension cord, to reach a plug that's otherwise a bit too far away. Size is the other issue. I found that if you go with the ultra compact models, you often find shortcomings because of the size and to overcome that you often find yourself in the $2000 to $3000 range for the unit. Also be sure the keyboard is really usable. Some keyboards, especially on the ultra compacts are horrible (pay particular attention to the right shift key).

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-02-2006, 04:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Thank you,
I am leaning toward the Sony VAIO, it seems to offer good screen resolution and more than enough memory. Plus, they actually answer the phone and you can talk to a real english speaking human being. To me that customer support is also very important.
Bill
  View Public Profile Send a private message to photoefx Find More Posts by photoefx

Old 12-02-2006, 04:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Thank you,
I am leaning toward the Sony VAIO, it seems to offer good screen resolution and more than enough memory. Plus, they actually answer the phone and you can talk to a real english speaking human being. To me that customer support is also very important.
Bill
Some of the sony vaio units are very nice. Usually a bit more expensive, however. Be sure to check the right shift key as they are the ones who often have problems with that key and its a killer to have a regular size shift key at that point rather than one that is double or more wide as on most keyboards.

I have an HP that I use for the same purpose that you're talking about. I've had it for 3 or 4 years and it is adequate.

cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-02-2006, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51476
Comments: 1

Jan Barie is offline IP: 207.161.25.204

I have just ordered a laptop from Dell for just about the exact reasons that you need one for. I like the fact that you can custom order your unit from Dell. Here are the specs I ordered, maybe that will heip you decide...(prices are Canadian $)

Inspiron 6400 Dual Core
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB), Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 $1,754.00 1 $1,754.00
Inspiron 6400 Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processor T7200 (4MB Cache/2.00GHz/667MHz FSB)

LCD Panel 15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife™

Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM

Video Card 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™

Hard Drive 120GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005

Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0

Combo/DVD+RW Drives FREE Upgrade to 8x CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) - $40 Value

Sound Options Integrated Audio

Wireless Networking Cards Dell Wireless 1390 802.11g Mini Card (54Mbps)

Office Productivity Software No productivity suite- Includes Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD

Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) McAfee Security Center w/ VirusScan, Firewall and Privacy, 90-day trial

Batteries 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Hardware Support Services 1 Year Return to Depot Service and Technical Support

$190 savings with your online purchase. -
Subtotal: $1,564.00
Shipping and Handling: $0.00

PST: $109.48
GST/HST: $93.84
Total: $1,767.32
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jan Barie Visit Jan Barie's homepage! Find More Posts by Jan Barie

Old 12-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35664
Comments: 1
My Mood:

mfharper is offline IP: 63.87.212.63

Quote:
Thank you,
Bill
I have a Sony Vaio that is about 3 years old and I love it. However I cannot recommend anything Sony to you. I'm currently involved in a class action suit against Sony. It seems that nearly all the notebook computers Sony made during the year I bought mine had a manufacturing flaw at the solder joint where the memory sockets connect to the mother board. This was such a common problem that repair shops all over the country know about it and websites sprang up all over the place with forums on how to deal with the problem. The real problem was that Sony refused to acknowledge the issue much less do anything about it. The repair involved sending the unit to a shop with a surface mount facility and ended up costing me close to $300. As far as I can tell Sony still denies the problem. Even with the thousands of complaints they have received. I'm hoping to recover some of the repair cost through the law suit. In the mean time, my laptop is still chugging along. Other then the one flaw it's the best I've ever owned. Too bad I'll never buy a Sony product again.

www.hhphoto.net
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mfharper Visit mfharper's homepage! Find More Posts by mfharper

Old 12-02-2006, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

It is an unfortunate fact of life that Sony seems to have a long history of this sort of problem and the refusal to acknowledge it. I have a desktop Sony Vaio that I've had for three years and I've had to have the power supply replaced thrice and it loos like its going bad again. And typically of many of Sony's products it is a proprietary power supply that is way over priced. Still I have Sony products that have worked well.
Cheers,
rfs

Old 12-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Wow, this is some great information. Thanks to all. It is for this reason that GG is sooooo heads up above other web sites. Unlike other web sites where you get all kinds of kooky answers, the members of GG are always professional give very professional answers. Thanks again to all.

Old 12-03-2006, 08:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 44633
Send a message via Yahoo to earldotson

earldotson is offline IP: 65.190.121.170

Sony Has got me to , I have a Sony Mavica CD 500 and the CD holder inside the camera has broken two times on me. costed $275.oo to fix it the first time. I fixed it the second time my self. And thay also have a real bad service Dept. So for me i would stay far away from any Sony Product.

Old 12-03-2006, 10:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.238.89.113

Mr. Smith (along with everybody else) have some really excellent recommendations. I will throw in this little tidbit that has saved my rear end a few times. Purchase an external USB hard drive. I have a 100 GB @ 7200 rpm that is very nice that I backup all of my images onto. You might not be able to take it on the road with you, but it's a nice piece of hardware that can make file transfers easy along with assisting with the archiving of your images.