Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Color Setting/CS2 = Pulling my hair out-Help Pls?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55234
Comments: 0

bonou2 is offline IP: 203.214.141.63

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey guys,

Would really appreciate some help here,
Story goes, for a year now i have been shooting in camera sRGB and using default color settings in CS2. WELL, i read somewhere the other day that aRGB is a better meduim for portrait (fashion/glamour) work with skintones etc, a wider gamut of colors etc. So i changed my in camera settings (i shoot with a D200) to Adobe RGB. Now my problems begin.
Firstly all my photos (jpegs only, not RAW) had a washed out orange cast on the models (before i had even dropped them in CS2 - i am using two flash studio lights, one is a softbox flash). I had WB set to a preset wich looked ok on the camera display but not on my computer?
Secondly what settings should i be working with in Cs2? I was converting the photos and chaecking the proofs (under Windows) to see how they would look on the net and they looked terrible? I no i had to convert them back sRGB, i had done that but still a problem. Bassiclay does some one have the same set up as me and be able to guide me thru or piont in the right direction as to what i need to do?? I really feel lost, i thought i had it all worked out, but now i know that i have failed for the last 4 months with the wrong colour settings and in camera settings as well!

Thankyou all who reply!

Dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bonou2 Find More Posts by bonou2

Re: Color Setting/CS2 = Pulling my hair out-Help Pls?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54406

Jrose is offline IP: 216.68.101.247

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First, are you doing a custom white balance for every shoot?
It is true that Adobe RGB gives you a wider gamut and it all that I use and have ever used. I have been using photoshop since version 4.
You should be using adobe RGB in camera and photoshop.

By the sounds of it, it sounds like your white balance is off. The other thing is that if you are shooting in jpeg mode, when you download the images into photoshop you should as a general rule save them as a psd or tiff. A jpeg image degrades everytime that it is opened and worked on because it is a compressed image, so everytime you save it as a jpeg it compresses a little more and you loose color range and pixels.

Hope that this is helpful
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jrose Find More Posts by Jrose

Old 10-25-2006, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 68.120.229.120

Check your color setting in PS. Are they set to AdobeRGB?

R
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

Old 10-25-2006, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

When you shoot in Adobe RGB and then use Save for Web, you will always get this problem. Here is an example photo that shows this problem:

Pretty dramatic difference.

To avoid this problem, you need to convert the Colorspace to sRGB before using Save for web. How you do this depends on which version of PHotoshop you are using. In CS2 is Edit | Color Settings and then in the RGB box, choose the sRGB setting (it will have along string of numbers after it). Once you Ok this choice, you will see no change in your photo, but when you do a Save for Web, the resulting photo will look the same as it did in Photoshop.

You can also experiment with the ICC check box in Save for Web. Here is an example of that solution:

So experiment with the two solutions above and see if they don't make a difference.

The other thing I've found, is that it is usually a giant pain in the neck to use the Adobe RGB color space. I always set the camera to sRGB and then one doesn't have to worry about these issues. As long as you have the RAW image, you still have all the data, so you can always go back and change your mind. Here is where (nudity in shot warning-so link only):

http://www.rfredricksmith.com/colorspace3.jpg

Now, if you are using Save As, then you should not get the problem, but it may be that you have something awry with your color settings. Here is what my color settings are for CS2 (nudity warning - so link only):

http://www.rfredricksmith.com/colorspace4.jpg

Lastly, if none of the above solve the problem, then you may not be getting the white and black points correct and also may not be getting the contrast correct. You want to set the white point in the RAW converter using the exposure slider and the black point using the Shadow slider. Then adjust brightness and contrast to taste, but pump the contrast a little for web work. Also be sure to wait and do the sharpening in PS and you generally want a little extra sharpening for some types of photos.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 10-26-2006, 03:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55234

bonou2 is offline IP: 203.217.32.113

Thanks for the help guys.

Ok here is what i did, i went out and bought a Syder Express Callibrator. I went through and callibrated my monitor. Wow the difference is amazing (although is it normal for my LCD screen to be a little tinged a little brown)?

So how should i set the following up in Cs2:

Working Space - "Custom" Adobe98? or Spyderexpress profile (i will be shooting aRGB in camera)

Proof Set Up - "Custom" what?

Where does my new monitor profile (spyderexpress) that i did come into play. Should i use this in any settings?

And should i convert all files i work in CS2 to sRGB and Save for Web?

Lastly whats the best way to see how my finished image will look on the WEB?

Thanks again, i am even more confused now due to this Spyder thngy!

dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bonou2 Find More Posts by bonou2