Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Improve your retoching by using this...
Old 08-30-2006, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51993
Comments: 0

Gosia is offline IP: 65.35.70.62

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi everyone,
recently I was playing around in my photoshop7 checking out different functions and i discovered one more function that can really improve the image. When I retouch a portrait first I use the healing brush and cloning tool .Then guassian blur.
The extra step taht you can take is to go to filters----Noise---Median set it to 18-30 (depends on your picture) and erase away unwanted blurred areas, just like when you do it with guassian blur. The effect is this
Picture #1 is as was taken, before any retouching
Pic.#2 is w/ guassian blur. cloning and healing tool were used
Pic #3 is when Median Noise was applied w/ slider set to 20.
This can help when the model has stretch marks, scars...ect
Gosia ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65sm.jpg (94.3 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg 65sm2.jpg (79.9 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg 65sm3.jpg (83.3 KB, 434 views)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Gosia Find More Posts by Gosia

Re: Improve your retoching by using this...
Old 08-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I nwanted to post those pictures side by side insted of attachements for easier viewing but I don't know how...

Old 08-30-2006, 02:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 53257

CamScam is offline IP: 67.137.230.198

good techneque. I would have liked to see them larger and side-by-side. you could make one picture with all 3 next to eachother and repost?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CamScam Find More Posts by CamScam

Old 08-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosia
Hi everyone,
recently I was playing around in my photoshop7 checking out different functions and i discovered one more function that can really improve the image. When I retouch a portrait first I use the healing brush and cloning tool .Then guassian blur.
The extra step taht you can take is to go to filters----Noise---Median set it to 18-30 (depends on your picture) and erase away unwanted blurred areas, just like when you do it with guassian blur.
The Median technique works for many things, but I think it goes to far in this case as it gives a plastic look to the skin. When one gets rid of skin defects and softens the face, one does not want it to be obvious that this has been done. Here is an example of a technique I often use:

As you can see, it is a very light technique that tries to keep the image looking as realistic as possible. This is a zoom in on the face of course. Examples in this image to look for are the difference in the pores of the skin between the two. Also note the eyes which have been selectively sharpened in the "softened photo". The eyes need to be sharp in every case, even if you soften the skin.
Note: To get all three photos at once, just combine them in PS and then post that photo directly (not as an attachment but using the little Yellow icon above the edit box).
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-30-2006, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

I wanted to post the picture directly, but every time I do that (using a yellow image button), a little message box comes up saying "please enter the URL of your image http:/"
.....??? how do I know what the URL of my image is...?
And when I upload the pics, it always goes over the required size although i set it to 72dpi, 300x200...? What is the best resizing dimension, so that the pic. appears large but doesn't exceeds the required dimensions?

About the Median technique, yes, the skin will look too plastic, if you use it too much, I erase most of it so you can see the pores of the skin, but yet the over all finished look is much smoother . I guess it depends who likes what..I wish I could post a larger picture so you can see in better detail, because on the smaller pic. the skin may look too smooth.
Last edited by Gosia; 08-30-2006 at 09:59 PM..

Old 08-30-2006, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosia
I wanted to post the picture directly, but every time I do that (using a yellow image button), a little message box comes up saying "please enter the URL of your image http:/"
.....??? how do I know what the URL of my image is...?
And when I upload the pics, it always goes over the required size although i set it to 72dpi, 300x200...? What is the best resizing dimension, so that the pic. appears large but doesn't exceeds the required dimensions?
About the Median technique, yes, the skin will look too plastic, if you use it too much, I erase most of it so you can see the pores of the skin, but yet the over all finished look is much smoother . I guess it depends who likes what..I wish I could post a larger picture so you can see in better detail, because on the smaller pic. the skin may look too smooth.
If you are going to display a photo you have two main choices. First, upload the photo to Glamour 1 to your portfolio. Then view the photo by clicking on its thumbnail. You'll see the photo and below it some information that looks like this:

If you click the button to the right of the box that I've called 1, then you can paste that code into your post whereever you want the image to appear. If you click the button to the right of the box that I've called 2, then you paste that info into the box that pops up and asks for a URL.
The other choice is what I used for the above screenshot. I uploaded the photo to my own webspace (there is usually free space available to anyone who has a ISP - so check if they don't give you some free space). Once you've uploaded the photo to your space, just navigate to it in the browser, copy the URL from the address box, and then paste it into the box asking for the URL above.
As for your comments about painting away some of the Median affect, see my two tutorials on sharpening eyes in this forum and you'll find that the two techniques discussed there will be quite usable using your Median technique.
Note: As to the size of the upload. Try for around 550 to 600 pixels high and that will give you the largest image that can be fully viewed in the average browser. 72ppi is okay. If your image is around 600 x 400 pixels, then it would be about 100k in size which is about right for high quality Jpg. Always use high or very high quality setting in PS. I find that using Save for Web in PS will give you fast easy to use results when posting to the web.
Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-30-2006, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

great info, I will have to try it

Old 08-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
great it worked!!! thank you very much

well the comparison pics are too small
Last edited by Gosia; 08-30-2006 at 10:40 PM..

Old 08-30-2006, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Yes, it worked, but you pasted the #1 copy into the URL box rather than the #2 copy and that's why you see the IMG tags. If you copy the #1 box, then just paste that into the post without using the pop up from the yellow icon.
Note about final result of your softening effect: It has gotten rid of too much. You should try to retain a hint of the smile lines.
Cheers,
rfs

Because of the size of the images...
Old 08-31-2006, 12:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35436

cclesue is offline IP: 71.195.202.76

it's difficult to see but to my eye you should have left it at version 2. #3 would never have sold at our studio.