Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Community Related Forumss > Digital Darkroom

Digital Darkroom Digital Imaging Workflow Tips & Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
2 New Tutorials. Whiten Teeth & How To Use Levels
Old 08-23-2006, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51008
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to roastdawgg

roastdawgg is offline IP: 134.205.44.134

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

So I finally found a little time to write up a few tutorials. I have one I wrote on how to whiten a model's teeth. Also I wrote one on exactly what the Levels tool is and how to use it. Next Tuesday a tutorial on the Histogram, what it is and what it means will be on the front page of http://www.nikonnexus.com

How To Whiten Teeth
http://www.nikonnexus.com//index.php...id=50&Itemid=2

Levels
http://www.nikonnexus.com//index.php...d=44&Itemid=67
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roastdawgg Visit roastdawgg's homepage! Find More Posts by roastdawgg

Re: 2 New Tutorials. Whiten Teeth & How To Use Levels
Old 08-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35827

ChrisKendell is offline IP: 65.165.167.60

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

The tutorial is very good but I suggest one change to your method. The non-distructive way to use levels is to use a Levels Adjustment Layer instead of using the Levels Dialog directly. This will allow you to go back and change your settings at any time and prevents the distruction of any of the data contained in the original file.
209-304-8594
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ChrisKendell Visit ChrisKendell's homepage! Find More Posts by ChrisKendell

Old 08-25-2006, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51008
Send a message via AIM to roastdawgg

roastdawgg is offline IP: 134.205.44.134

part of the way down in the tutorial is the line:

"With your teeth still selected add a Levels Adjustment Layer to the image by clicking the Layers menu and choose Adjustment Layer and then Levels. This is a non-destructive way to brighten the teeth but not damage the base or original photo. This will allow tweaking without the loss of the original data."
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roastdawgg Visit roastdawgg's homepage! Find More Posts by roastdawgg

Old 08-25-2006, 11:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 44622

Mookster is offline IP: 69.215.30.122

Dawg, I tried out the Teeth Whiten tutorial and it worked very well, you can really light those suckers up!

Thanks for the info, and taking the time to post!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mookster Find More Posts by Mookster

Old 08-25-2006, 12:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.153.44.198

Dawg,

I've been using a different method but your tutorial is great, I'll have to try yours. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
LSC
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 09-02-2006, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.137.157.161

Thanks for the tips on how to whiten teeth, I think I can also use that in other areas. I was suprised to hear you say that the levels feature of Photoshop are the least used and misunderstood. I use the levels almost exclusively to do my clolor corrections. Honestly, I thought that was commonplace. But then again, there's a lot of people out there using Photoshop and there are more than one way to do it. Thanks again for the tips.

Isaiah Brink

Old 09-05-2006, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahbrink
Thanks for the tips on how to whiten teeth, I think I can also use that in other areas. I was suprised to hear you say that the levels feature of Photoshop are the least used and misunderstood. I use the levels almost exclusively to do my clolor corrections. Honestly, I thought that was commonplace. But then again, there's a lot of people out there using Photoshop and there are more than one way to do it. Thanks again for the tips.

Isaiah Brink
You can use levels for color corrections, and lots of people do. However, most of the experts I've consulted over the years, and also most of the books, seem to recommend using Curves. I've been using curves for many years and it seems to give you more control over the whole process. However, when one shoots in the RAW format, then one will usually do all of the color correction in the RAW converter. This is a snap in ACR in PS CS2, and I haven't had to do any color correction in PS for a long time.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-10-2006, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43840
Send a message via ICQ to moscato_images Send a message via AIM to moscato_images Send a message via Yahoo to moscato_images

moscato_images is offline IP: 74.135.251.0

Nice teeth whitening. Call Crest!

-joshua
  View Public Profile Send a private message to moscato_images Visit moscato_images's homepage! Find More Posts by moscato_images

Old 09-10-2006, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

This rocks, thanks for posting

Old 09-10-2006, 12:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.91.97

Yes the curves are very good for color corrections, if I can't get the color right using the levels I use the curves. For me, it's just easier for use the levels, but yes, you are correct curves do give you that very fine control.

Isaiah